What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes for edibles

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
After seeing the success, I decided to go ahead and spend the money for Alpha bisabolol and Ocimene, as well as a few other cheaper ones. Bisabolol was showing in a lot in Indica dom terpene profiles and Ocimene was showing in many sativas. Game on...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I edited my previous post with a lower ratio of terpenes.

Terpenes are no joke. I have done enough testing to really see the power of these substances. I have made over two dozen strain profiles using lab analyses as recipes. Some of the sativa strains will really fuck you up when taken with edibles. I made a strong batch of edibles using Ace's Golden Tiger, and holy hell, the effect seemed to last for days. Smoking/vaping THC reactivates and re-intensifies the effect, even when it is a heavy indica, which to me indicated that terpenes stay bonded to receptors longer than cannabinoids.

All in all I am absolutely thrilled with my terpene isolates. I ordered some more and now have 17 varieties. If you are looking for recipes, go to PSI link below and select 'Flowers' and select 'Terpene Profile'.

https://www.psilabs.org/results/test-results/

You can then search strains, view pictures of flowers to see amber trichome level (which alters terpene profile and effect) and then save terpene data. I made a Excel workbook with pre-formatted sheets that I can copy/paste terpene name and percentage to, that autocompletes recipe fields.

This is the result of my Excel sheet for a version of Chem D:

Terpene Actual Mix Ratio 15ml 30ml

Caryophyllene 0.49% 48.51% 7.27 14.55
DLimonene 0.21% 20.79% 3.11 6.23
β-Myrcene 0.16% 15.84% 2.37 4.75
α-Bisabolol 0.08% 7.92% 1.18 2.37
β-Pinene 0.03% 2.97% 0.44 0.89
α-Pinene 0.02% 1.98% 0.29 0.59
Camphene 0.01% 0.99% 0.14 0.29
Linalool 0.01% 0.99% 0.14 0.29

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Have you tried decarbing oil sous vide style in a vacuum sealed bag to retain more terps during the decarbing process?

That is actually a great idea! I already do sous vide as a step with my candy, but this is a water bath at lower temps. I wonder how the bags would handle hot oil at 245F? Would also be interesting to watch the co2 bubbles during the process. This would theoretically decarb more evenly and perhaps a bit faster as well.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like standard home vacuum sealer bags aren't up to taking the 250F necessary to follow the decarb bubbling action.

How about using nylon oven 'turkey roaster' bags? Suck the air out with a straw, and knot the top like you would bagging nuggs.

You can use a sous vide bag vacuumed and decarb at 205 for around 1.5 hours. You can watch the bag expand throughout the process to get an idea of how complete decarb is.

Lab tests confirm effective decarb this way for me. Only issue is if decarbing oil instead of flower the oil is difficult to contain in a vacuum sealed bag.

ozzieAI

Veteran
thanks for your ideas and information WFF...i have started playing around with canna caps and have a range of essential oils on there way to me...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
You can use a sous vide bag vacuumed and decarb at 205 for around 1.5 hours. You can watch the bag expand throughout the process to get an idea of how complete decarb is.

Lab tests confirm effective decarb this way for me. Only issue is if decarbing oil instead of flower the oil is difficult to contain in a vacuum sealed bag.

Just curious as to why it has to be a vacuum bag at all? What about just using a freezer type ziplock bag? Also, I wonder how alcohol would react to these bags to clean and not lose any yield?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
thanks for your ideas and information WFF...i have started playing around with canna caps and have a range of essential oils on there way to me...

Nice. You will have to report back on the canna caps + terpenes. Some are very aggressive solvents, so you might do some testing to see if there is any reaction with the outer caps.

I guess it doesn't have to be a sous vide vacuum bag, but I'm not sure freezer bags will hold up to 205f for an hour or more and not burst the seams, never did for mashed potatoes and they are cooked at 195f.

I told my oil into an envelope that holds it tight while sealed in the bag. Admittedly folding in a way that produces no leaks is the hardest part.

brown_thumb

What about using a sealed stainless steel container with a one-way check valve to allow hydrogen gas to escape but prevent water or oil from entering? It would be much easier to scrape out the contents. There's no need to fully submerge the container. The top with valve could be slightly above the liquid. The check valve is only to eliminate the possibility of contamination and isn't really necessary if great care is taken.

Actually, a tall thin pipe could be used in place of the check valve... tall enough to raise the escape hole far above the fluid level. The vent hole could be very tiny. With no pressure build up, the container could be glass.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
WFF, I have a (high) tolerance problem with edibles.

I make all my edibles with rosin and right now, a single dose for me a over 1 gram of pure rosin (usually mixed with butter or coco oil and sunflower lecithin) and taken in a cap or used in brownies/candy/whatever.

I would love to try some terps with my rosin to increase potency and effectiveness. Can you suggest a single terp that I might try? Perhaps the one that has worked best for you?

Loving all your threads bud. Thanks.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
WFF, I have a (high) tolerance problem with edibles.

I make all my edibles with rosin and right now, a single dose for me a over 1 gram of pure rosin (usually mixed with butter or coco oil and sunflower lecithin) and taken in a cap or used in brownies/candy/whatever.

I would love to try some terps with my rosin to increase potency and effectiveness. Can you suggest a single terp that I might try? Perhaps the one that has worked best for you?

Loving all your threads bud. Thanks.

Hey Ringo. That is a tough one. To be honest, I have never tried the terpenes individually, only in mixtures that replicate certain strains. I looked at some of my favorite recipes, and most had a dominate mixture of 1. Beta-caryophyllene, 2. Limonene & 3. Myrcene. I would at least start with those 3, but caryophyllene would be my suggestion if only one.

It might sting a bit upfront, but for $143 you can get the following 7x 1oz True Terpene isolates, that can replicate both indica and sativa effect to a pretty good extent. If you want to make vape cartridges, this is a double bonus.

Beta Caryophyllene $23
Limonene $14
Myrcene $25
Linalool $28
Humulene $30
Alpha Pinene $11
Beta Pinene $12

Total $143
Free Shipping (over $100)

Also, True Terpenes sells their in house strain profiles for $200 an oz. $143 for 7oz, is 1/10 the price.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
With that much THC in your system, I personally think that you would trip balls on a small amount of terpenes consumed orally. Is there any reason that you are not extracting with alcohol or another solvent to get a better yield than rosin? Are you processing your leftover pucks to get max yield?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't believe in solvents. I have done it in the past but with the volume I consume, even tiny ppm's will build up quickly. I'm not concerned with yield. I grow way more than I can consume.

I picked up some mangos and I am going to make some edibles today with them to experiment with the effect. If it works, I'll pick up some myrcene.

I figure I'll try the real thing first. If it helps, I'll get some terps. I hate to buy all this stuff and find out it doesn't work on me. That's what happened with the "holy anointing oil". I spent 100 bux on concentrate oils and the stuff ended up doing nothing for me. Now I have a shelf full of useless oils. My tolerance levels are insane. Nothing ever works for me and nothing gets me high any more.

And, yes, I use the chips to make edibles. I don't double press so the chips are usually nicely coated with rosin. For some reason, it makes the best edibles. I'm not sure if it's because it's decarb'd twice (once during the press and then in the oven before making the butter/oil) or what. But, the butter I make with the chips is usually the only thing that gives me a little buzz.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see how the mango works and then pop over and pick up some terps.

Thanks again

G

Gr33nSanta

I don't believe in solvents. I have done it in the past but with the volume I consume, even tiny ppm's will build up quickly. I'm not concerned with yield. I grow way more than I can consume.

I picked up some mangos and I am going to make some edibles today with them to experiment with the effect. If it works, I'll pick up some myrcene.

I figure I'll try the real thing first. If it helps, I'll get some terps. I hate to buy all this stuff and find out it doesn't work on me. That's what happened with the "holy anointing oil". I spent 100 bux on concentrate oils and the stuff ended up doing nothing for me. Now I have a shelf full of useless oils. My tolerance levels are insane. Nothing ever works for me and nothing gets me high any more.

And, yes, I use the chips to make edibles. I don't double press so the chips are usually nicely coated with rosin. For some reason, it makes the best edibles. I'm not sure if it's because it's decarb'd twice (once during the press and then in the oven before making the butter/oil) or what. But, the butter I make with the chips is usually the only thing that gives me a little buzz.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see how the mango works and then pop over and pick up some terps.

Thanks again
I heard the mango is bogus. There is a laughable amount of myrcene in them and you would have to eat so many, I think Sam was saying in Hash Church.

I personally do not do anything with my rosin chips, I give them to friends, I have gotten good feedback from a couple of friends that made butter with them.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
@Santa That would make sense. I am going to decarb a couple grams of rosin today. If I don't eat it all, I'll make mango martinis for the band tomorrow night at practice.

It's always funny to watch my friends faces when they see me eat 10x what they just ate and they are flying high as a kite. LOL

At least someone enjoys my pot. LOL

@WFF I have a health food store locally that has a decent selection of terps. I am going to run by and see if they have any of the terps you outlined above.

And, as always, thanks for the input.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I heard the mango is bogus. There is a laughable amount of myrcene in them and you would have to eat so many, I think Sam was saying in Hash Church.

I personally do not do anything with my rosin chips, I give them to friends, I have gotten good feedback from a couple of friends that made butter with them.

Ditto on that mango thing. I ate .5g of rosin at 5:00 and ate most of the mango. Then, ate another .5g, then finished the mango. Total of 1 mango and 1 gram rosin in about 1 hour.

That was 3 hours ago. :( Nothing

Well, the mango was pretty good. LOL

This is frustrating. LOL Good thing I grow my own, If I had to buy enough pot to get high on edibles, I might as well go back to coke. It would be cheaper. LOL

I am going to the health food store tomorrow to see what kind of terps they have.

Ditto again to your friends on the butter from chips thing. They do seem to make the best butter.

brown_thumb

It can take up to 5 or 6 hours for edibles to take affect for me. Other times, it starts in an hour or so. I don't know why.

ozzieAI

Veteran
It can take up to 5 or 6 hours for edibles to take affect for me. Other times, it starts in an hour or so. I don't know why.

i get this as well...and am trying to work it out as to why...it's a real pain..

WFF how did you find dealing Buy-Terpenes.com? i am in OZ and need to order a minimum $1000 to get international shipping

Latest posts

Latest posts