What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maines governor vetoes legalization

Rondon

Legal pot is pricey in CO. They want to squeeze out the black market. Even 12 plants at six grows per year could yield a tax-free income that would be appetizing to many.

Legal pot is getting cheaper and cheaper daily in Colorado. Like scary cheap. You'd be suprised at what 80 to 125 bucks can buy. And it aint no schwag. Upper mids or even better. My cousin just got back from visiting relatives out there. I dont see how someone with some lamps in a basement can stay competitive in Colorado. Unless you wanna just turn on one little lamp for personal...it seems its not worth it..Michigan is following suit. Ive been growing for a long time and my ass hasnt save a frikin DIME. Lol. Fuk it. Let it ride.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Any time the people wish to make themselves be heard over the bought and paid for, an up hill fight is going to be had no matter which party runs things.

Respect the truth. "They're just as bad" doesn't cut it when it comes to cannabis legislation. Everybody not in a state of denial knows this. It's obvious on a map showing the status of cannabis in each State.

Gry

I have nothing but respect for the truth.
I would urge you to read again what I wrote.
I understand you find it uncomfortable.
So do I.
What it was I said that is untrue ?

igrowone

Veteran
so the recreational sales part of the proposition may be vetoed
but the grow your own recreational is intact? which is not complete veto, just partial
or at least that's what i think i remember about the proposition
either way, the peeps in maine still have it pretty good compared to others
such as NY for example

Jhhnn

Veteran
Legal pot is getting cheaper and cheaper daily in Colorado. Like scary cheap. You'd be suprised at what 80 to 125 bucks can buy. And it aint no schwag. Upper mids or even better. My cousin just got back from visiting relatives out there. I dont see how someone with some lamps in a basement can stay competitive in Colorado. Unless you wanna just turn on one little lamp for personal...it seems its not worth it..Michigan is following suit. Ive been growing for a long time and my ass hasnt save a frikin DIME. Lol. Fuk it. Let it ride.

Economies of scale. Everything is cheaper by the truck load, a lot cheaper. People who work in the grow industry aren't very well paid, either, other than those near the top of it, trained professional horticulturalists among them. Big consumers of electricity get better rates, particularly when they consume during off hours. Big greenhouse growers and even outdoor growers push the price of production even lower.

My perspective is different. I've never grown for money. I grew briefly in the early 80's but never made any money at it, came back to it with A64 & retirement. It's fascinating what breeders have done with it, the different smells & tastes, the differences in the way different varieties grow, the subtle differences in effect as well. I'm just having fun with it & learning.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

I was there in July for a few days. Around Denver found it pricey in the shops and better deals on CL. We took the California Zephyr San Francisco. That was cool. Here in MA dispensaries get $400 and the choices are slim. Legal retail can come down quite a bit and leave room. Growing is not for money here either.

Rondon

I was there in July for a few days. Around Denver found it pricey in the shops and better deals on CL. We took the California Zephyr San Francisco. That was cool. Here in MA dispensaries get $400 and the choices are slim. Legal retail can come down quite a bit and leave room. Growing is not for money here either.

I been growing a long time. I knew these days would come back in the late 80's. No way could I get away with what basically amounted to growing money on trees like I did and still do forever. I just never did anything else. Didnt prepare. I still do ok but if I would of made some moves 10 or even 5 years ago I could of been sitting pretty. Oh well. Hell of a ride. And i find it bullshit that they tout jobs jobs jobs in this "new industry" and I hear reports of the real deal workers in the trenches arent paid all that well. Amd only a few at the top are getting the real money. What horseshit. Michigan will soon go recreational. And us small timers who've been here a long ass time will start to get weeded out. Your right. Economies of scale. I always knew it too. When this dust settles (amd federal legalization)..I see just a handful of companys with all the resources and means. Prices for pounds will be low 3 digits (which is HUGE for an ag crop - and despite what people think - at the end of the day- cannabis will become just another ag crop). And it will be cheaper to buy it at the local store than turn on a growlight and grow it yourself. Like Ed Rosenthal said years ago...it will be like tomatos. You can grow a couple outside to enjoy...or buy it in the store. But no real money in it for the small timer. Much less a full blown total indoor ($$) hydroponic grow room. The hobby hydroponic equipment industry will take a huge hit. And I think they are just about peaking out now. I dont know. I could be all wrong with my theories on how this whole leaglization will play out.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have nothing but respect for the truth.
I would urge you to read again what I wrote.
I understand you find it uncomfortable.
So do I.
What it was I said that is untrue ?

Some hills are a lot bigger & steeper than others.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yeah those blue folks in WA cant even grow their own, though big business sure can. . .

how open minded and progressive

Not to defend WA prohibition against home growing but it's a lot more open minded & progressive than a red states like OK, TX & the rest. It's a helluva lot better for people who just want to get high.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm not sure it will play out quite that way. You are likely right to a large degree that there will be walmarts of weed dominating the market and paying the workers peanuts. There are plenty of walmart shoppers out there willing to buy shit if it's cheap enough. Remember the old really cheap beers, Old Bohemian?

Just like California has Nappa, they also have the golden triangle. It seems likely that an upscale market will emerge. I think there will be a place for small premium independent growers although the threat will always be looming with big money offering generous buy outs and corporations laying claims on genetics with armies of lawyers beating up little guys and owning politicians.

Solar seems to be somewhat of an equalizer for the small growers with panels now getting down around 60 cents per watt. Pulling electric out of the equation really lightens the load.

Gry

No one has to travel cross county over antibiotics.
No one should one have to travel over access to cannabis.
Best wishes to those with need.
Blessings to those who help them.

geneva_sativa

Not to defend WA prohibition against home growing but it's a lot more open minded & progressive than a red states like OK, TX & the rest. It's a helluva lot better for people who just want to get high.

I agree that it is probably much better than OK or TX. . . but I wouldn't say it is better than Maine, IMO. . . and the opinion of others from there, that have chimed in.

My main point being, the dangers of thinking that one party is absolutely better than the other, regarding Cannabis, or other things for that matter.

iBogart

Veteran
I agree that it is probably much better than OK or TX. . . but I wouldn't say it is better than Maine, IMO. . . and the opinion of others from there, that have chimed in.

My main point being, the dangers of thinking that one party is absolutely better than the other, regarding Cannabis, or other things for that matter.

Dangers? You can try and hide from the stats, but the numbers remain, so might as well face it.

If you want more Republicans that favor legalization, then vote for them. Trouble is they're tough to find.

geneva_sativa

Time Will Tell

Bob knew it well. . .

" Never make a politician grant you a favor. . . They will always want to, control you forever. "

Politics surely blinds folks

Rondon

I'm not sure it will play out quite that way. You are likely right to a large degree that there will be walmarts of weed dominating the market and paying the workers peanuts. There are plenty of walmart shoppers out there willing to buy shit if it's cheap enough. Remember the old really cheap beers, Old Bohemian?

Just like California has Nappa, they also have the golden triangle. It seems likely that an upscale market will emerge. I think there will be a place for small premium independent growers although the threat will always be looming with big money offering generous buy outs and corporations laying claims on genetics with armies of lawyers beating up little guys and owning politicians.

Solar seems to be somewhat of an equalizer for the small growers with panels now getting down around 60 cents per watt. Pulling electric out of the equation really lightens the load.

I dont see solar panels being viable to turn lights on in a warehouse. The amount of solar in initial cost would be outrageously cost prohibitive. When Phillip & Morris has a massive field right down the road. And Pfizer has a high tech greenhouse with all the fixings down the road from that. Kind of redundant anyways..considering the biggest and best solar panel in the sky for photosynthesis is free. The whole indoors paradigm was based on black market and illegality/cops and thieves finding some plants outside. And shitty seasons. Thats why it moved inside back in the late 70's and early 80's. Up Oregon and Washington to be exact. And then when they discovered high bay hid lamps..it was the game changer. But anyways yeah. I can see huge hightech hydroponic greenhouses using solar to power the complex and supplemental artificial light. They actually are some already big tomato amd veggie outfits that are solar paneled already. But big warehouses with banks of artificial lamps to grow cannabis???..I dont see much future in that with legalization. Solar powered panels or regular electricity. Again. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts