What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Properly Aerate a Small (or large) Rez

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a thread by BigToke about bio buckets that touches on o2 levels in the water. He uses a dissolved oxygen meter and has tested multiple ways of dissolving oxygen. He claims that a waterfall (nutes returning to the rez) of 8-12 inches is the most effective method. Its so effective that he doesnt even mess with ph or even change out the rez. Look the thread up if you want a good read. Also hit up cravinmorehead if you have questions regarding the biobucket system as BigToke is no longer around. The only problem with the waterfall is the noise.

Where I live, even though I grow indoors, mosquitoes get into the house. Open water systems are a magnet for them, so I have to use closed systems. My max is 4 gallons of nutes

Did bigtoke test protein skimmers?

It seems to be missed but altitude (pressure) also has a big effect of waters capacity for holding dissolved oxygen.

There are ways of achieving super-saturation where there is more oxygen dissolved in the water than is physically possible, so it will be fizzing out at the waters surface (gas exchange)...

Waterfalls are good, but noisy. I'm now using a protein skimmer and a trickle filter, the next step is to build a hybrid of the two.

You should all be looking at pinwheel pumps for achieving small bubble size too.. It's a sample mag drive pump with a Venturi fitted to its intake and a pinwheel impeller that chops the air into micro bubbles. Awesome for aeration!

Peace
BL

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did bigtoke test protein skimmers?

It seems to be missed but altitude (pressure) also has a big effect of waters capacity for holding dissolved oxygen.

There are ways of achieving super-saturation where there is more oxygen dissolved in the water than is physically possible, so it will be fizzing out at the waters surface (gas exchange)...

Waterfalls are good, but noisy. I'm now using a protein skimmer and a trickle filter, the next step is to build a hybrid of the two.

You should all be looking at pinwheel pumps for achieving small bubble size too.. It's a sample mag drive pump with a Venturi fitted to its intake and a pinwheel impeller that chops the air into micro bubbles. Awesome for aeration!

Peace
BL

got a link?

How temp and pressure affect Dissolved Oxygen concentration

do_graph.gif

Peace
BL