What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

GoatCheese

Veteran
hi,
i'm still wonder why there is no O-Haze... ?
Sam promised it in beginning...
now after long time still no haze... WHY?
M. :Tiphat:

I think but i'm not 100% sure, Sam and Crew in EU sends the material samples to a Dutch university where they extract the DNA, and then the results will be sent over to Phylos in North America
..so it takes time.

baduy

I never look at the galaxy itself, much too messy. But the individual side reports on strains are pretty interesting and the graphics are instructive, the potentially interesting crosses bottom page data gives food for thoughts

oldbootz

Veteran
African varieties are most probably related to indian hemp. They are usually low thc sativa shaped varieties that have been inbred with open pollination. The seeds from the best smoking buds are replanted each year in some areas while in others the growers don't smoke and only try to make money from the plant, in the latter case the plants often revert back into a very low thc hempy variety. There are many hotspots in southern Africa where cultivation over the years has led to distinct varieties being formed. Swazi, Lesotho, Transkei ( ciskei ), Mozambique, Malawi, Nigeria, Congo. It seems that the closer to Cape Town the more hemp influences and the more north you go you can start to find darker shorter stocky indica related plants (80s - 2000s influences from import seed?).

In the colonization of Southern Africa there were a lot of hemp plots to service the sailing and construction early industries. Since it was a trade route, Cape Town would have most likely had some Indian drug variety ganja smokers pass through or settle and introduce the slightly higher thc varieties that could allow the hemp hybrids to be smokeable?

Whats interesting is that there are no indica shaped plants from the early 90s that I have heard of or seen that came from South Africa. The paki afghani hash plants somehow did not make their way down (at least in enough numbers).

GoatCheese

Veteran
Whats interesting is that there are no indica shaped plants from the early 90s that I have heard of or seen that came from South Africa. The paki afghani hash plants somehow did not make their way down (at least in enough numbers).

Pictures of some Durbans look like Chitrali-pakis to me, thou evolved abit to the N.Indian sativa side. But Chitralis look like a hybrid, not an proper short "afghani"-type.
:)

kokomarin

Oldbootz,Nigerian growers have indica long time ago by Muslims trade,have also swamp hemp,and have also wild rainforest landrace (pygmmes weed).
So you cannot compare soutafrican area with wild tropical rainforest area ,.
(Problem is skulls for curing smoke):):)

oldbootz

Veteran
Pictures of some Durbans look like Chitrali-pakis to me, thou evolved abit to the N.Indian sativa side. But Chitralis look like a hybrid, not an proper short "afghani"-type.

Hi GoatCheese, I think those Durbans you are talking about (Dutch Passion, Afropips) were hybridized in order to tame them for indoor production. I know the Dutch Passion one is crossed with Skunk #1.

I think the original 100% sativa poly hybrid Durban Poison looked like this:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

but thats just my 2cents

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi GoatCheese, I think those Durbans you are talking about (Dutch Passion, Afropips) were hybridized in order to tame them for indoor production. I know the Dutch Passion one is crossed with Skunk #1.

I think the original 100% sativa poly hybrid Durban Poison looked like this:

View Image
View Image
View Image

but thats just my 2cents

Well, didin't you yourself state in a post that you believe African strains are related to Indian genetics? (..some are actually related more to Thai apparently)

As an example, genetics from Manali N.India or some Nepalis aren't pure NLD in the same sense as Thais and equtorial sativas are, because they have some broadleaf traits in them.

Also, one of the pictures i was talking about, the plant had deep purple coloration and looked quite similar to some PCK (Ace/cannabiogen)
..it looked nothing like skunk

EDIT:
The Durban i was talking about is Afropip's Durban.
Grow report here ..this is a post-link to few flowering pics:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7125072&postcount=221

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
295 a report.

For male female seedling testing 4 cards 4 plants 59.97...

Cannabis is a multi billion dollar a year industry :tiphat:

OldCoolSativa

Almost a year since this thread has been updated and Phylos has gotten more populated and therefore, much better. I wanted to make an observation that isn't necessarily landrace related, but is still near and dear to many: the genetic origins of the NYC haze, aka piff, aka frankie, etc. There's a very lonely "star" in the Phylos galaxy labelled as "NYC Dominican Piff Haze." It lies about halfway between the (green) Colombian strains at one far end of the galaxy (the genetic roots of "haze") and Northern Lights #5. Here's a link to the genotype report:

https://phylos.me/g/g2279

The piff genotype only shows one close connection, to GAL357, which is labelled "Court Collars Cough." A play on Fort Collins Cough (an elite Nl5Hz clone) perhaps? Interestingly, GAL357 only has one other connection, to A5 haze, submitted by DNA genetics. So the piff is most closely related to an Nl5Hz and that's most closely related to the A5.

While Phylos is far from perfect, it is intriguing, and I think this is another line of evidence that the piff likely was found in one of Nevil's seeds. Although it could be a Neville's Haze, my theory is that it's an NL5HzA. The Haze A male was lost in a raid before its progeny seed was sold commercially, but Nevil has said that he used to meet individually with large-volume buyers at the Cannabis castle. My theory is that Nevil sold some Nl5HzA seeds to one of these individuals who was affiliated with the Dominican syndicate. All speculation, of course, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it until a better one comes along.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Northern lights #5 comes out looking like skunk btw. Definitely not Afghan x Thai.

I've been trying to figure out the make up of original haze by looking at it's hybrids like SSH. All haze hybrids score high in the hemp and cbd components and some landrace. No obvious relation to any specific landraces. Colombian constantly clusters with Thai but some South American strains cluster with African strains.

ahortator

Veteran
“Marijuana arrived in Colombia thanks to the aid of the USA in 1930. Seven years before the USA made Marijuana illegal.. In 1930 the department of agriculture of the United States (USDA) created a project to promote the different uses of marijuana. United States knew that marijuana had immense medicinal potential and industrial. The USA did not want to use American lands so they decided to go to Colombia to develop the project. The Marijuana utilized for this project was brought from The Island of Borneo. Borneo and Colombia are very similar countries in question of environment. Both countries are situated in tropical rainy forests, the perfect environment to grow Marijuana and for this reason the USA chose Colombia for the project. Colombia is a very tropical country. In 1937 the USA made Marijuana illegal. The projects were canceled. The gringos that were working in Colombia on the project had to return but they never destroyed the plants. They left the ones that were working with in Colombia.”

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6226306&postcount=397

I have seen some strains have disappeared from the Phylos Galaxy :dunno: And some changes of name in others.

GoatCheese

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6226306&postcount=397

I have seen some strains have disappeared from the Phylos Galaxy :dunno: And some changes of name in others.
Phylos are seemingly updating their page, and has been for awhile, and because of this the site doesn't work very well atm. With some strains you can see the genetic web-table but for some/most there's no related plants showing yet.

I believe the site will be more useful after this update cause now the genetic- table will show more related varieties and the analyses of the same cutting won't take all of the space; they're seemingly grouped now.
..but it's be taking longer than many of us would like ..months and months.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Not sure what to make of it, but it's the Colombian reds, mangobiche, pelo naranja, Colombian 20's, Panama and others that seem close to Thai. They also cluster somewhat close to Kerala and Jamaican lambsbread. I believe this could be the oldest layer in latin America, and very much leaning towards SE Asia.

Colombian Gold on the other hand, while looking 100% landrace has a cluster of it's own and does not seem very closely related to other Colombians. Lots of Colombian Golds on Phylos and they all look related to each other.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Not sure what to make of it,

Right. Wouldn't it make more sense if the elemental landraces were on the outside (or center) perimeters and the many, many crosses were connected from there. So, like Thule said, all the Columbians would be in one area, the Mexicans in another, etc. I like the galaxy idea allot, but the geography doesn't sense.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Not sure what to make of it, but it's the Colombian reds, mangobiche, pelo naranja, Colombian 20's, Panama and others that seem close to Thai. They also cluster somewhat close to Kerala and Jamaican lambsbread. I believe this could be the oldest layer in latin America, and very much leaning towards SE Asia.

Colombian Gold on the other hand, while looking 100% landrace has a cluster of it's own and does not seem very closely related to other Colombians. Lots of Colombian Golds on Phylos and they all look related to each other.

It gets more confusing.

I found that the golds are also connected to Thai through this line named only Colombia, and this one named Cambodia. Their make up looks almost identical. Colombia is listed as an immediate relative to both Cambodia and all the Colombian golds, while Cambodia is listed as an immediate family member of the Thai sticks and Colombia.

I wouldn't take any of this at face value but I do think there's a pattern here.

beta

Veteran
Almost a year since this thread has been updated and Phylos has gotten more populated and therefore, much better. I wanted to make an observation that isn't necessarily landrace related, but is still near and dear to many: the genetic origins of the NYC haze, aka piff, aka frankie, etc. There's a very lonely "star" in the Phylos galaxy labelled as "NYC Dominican Piff Haze." It lies about halfway between the (green) Colombian strains at one far end of the galaxy (the genetic roots of "haze") and Northern Lights #5. Here's a link to the genotype report:

https://phylos.me/g/g2279

The piff genotype only shows one close connection, to GAL357, which is labelled "Court Collars Cough." A play on Fort Collins Cough (an elite Nl5Hz clone) perhaps? Interestingly, GAL357 only has one other connection, to A5 haze, submitted by DNA genetics. So is the piff is most closely related to an Nl5Hz and that's most closely related to the A5.

While Phylos is far from perfect, it is intriguing, and I think this is another line of evidence that the piff likely was found in one of Nevil's seeds. Although it could be a Neville's Haze, my theory is that it's an NL5HzA. The Haze A male was lost in a raid before its progeny seed was sold commercially, but Nevil has said that he used to meet individually with large-volume buyers at the Cannabis castle. My theory is that Nevil sold some Nl5HzA seeds to one of these individuals who was affiliated with the Dominican syndicate. All speculation, of course, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it until a better one comes along.

Great find, and very interesting analysis.

OldCoolSativa

Hey, thanks beta! It's fun to play internet sleuth! The A5 cut is faster than most Neville's Haze, therefore Nl5HzA would've likely been more commercially viable.

It gets more confusing.

I found that the golds are also connected to Thai through this line named only Colombia, and this one named Cambodia. Their make up looks almost identical. Colombia is listed as an immediate relative to both Cambodia and all the Colombian golds, while Cambodia is listed as an immediate family member of the Thai sticks and Colombia.

I wouldn't take any of this at face value but I do think there's a pattern here.

If we take the Phylos data at face value (which we shouldn't), Occam's razor tells us that the most likely explanation is that Thai NLD genetics were introduced into Colombia. So then the question becomes when, and by whom? Since I'm a BOEL admirer/conspiracist/researcher, I think it's possible that surfers in the 1960s and early 70s may have given Thai genetics to Colombians farmers. As production increased in Colombia so did the proliferation of Thai genetics. BOEL had operations in Costa Rica, in the early 1970s if not earlier, so it's not that much of a leap for them to be operating in Colombia. All speculation, of course, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it until a better one comes along.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
If we take the Phylos data at face value (which we shouldn't), Occam's razor tells us that the most likely explanation is that Thai NLD genetics were introduced into Colombia.

Agreed on the razor. Someone brought a shitload of Thai stick or other South East Asian (Borneo?) genetics to Colombia at some point.

The Colombia 1920's sample could be representative of early Colombian strains. It clusters closest to Colombian red and mangobiche. Maybe the reds were there first? They lack a sample from far eastern India or Manipur, but I bet that would be a closer match to Colombian Red than Kerala or Thai. Just a guess based on the very similar coloration between Mangobiche and Manipuri. Zamal has the same coloration so we know the purples liked to cross oceans..

Enter Thai stick, and we now have Colombian Gold. The cartels moved a shit tonne of Thaistick to America in the 60's and 70's. Being the highest quality strain on the market at the time, maybe some of it made it to Colombia?

Pure speculation of course but the Asian connection seems real.

Latest posts

Latest posts