What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tips for new growers, cutting the curve.

papaduc

Veteran
And you talk about twisting words... Where did I advise people to use 2ml per gallon?

I was talking in the context of what amount you could use without causing the kind of destruction you managed to cause with 2ml in 10gal

This is from someone else on the internet. It has just taken me 30 seconds to find:

"As a side note, I have grown with a total chlorine of over 100 ppm(from my use of calcium chloride for a calcium source) and only noticed minor scorching on the leaf margins"

Find out how much people use to sterilise drinking water. Find out the upper limits of what you can use without causing the kind of damage which will kill or severely impact upon your plants.

The whole point we are having this boring discussion is in relation to the fact that you have implied household 5% bleach to be an incredible amount more powerful and dangerous than it is, much much more so than food grade peroxide. You have no validation whatsoever for this and instead of doing some basic research you continue to flog this dead horse.

Miraculous Meds

We were talking about cloning, and when I water my pot of coco I use 1ml in a 2L water bottle to water it and keep it hydrated. So that's more than ten times what you used with no ill effect.

is 1ml in 2l not about 2ml in a gallon? Actually since a gallon is less that 4l I guess its even a stronger concentration.

Im not twisting words, this is the strength that u stated.

papaduc

Veteran
I was giving an example of how many times over the amount which supposedly stripped your roots bare, I used on young clones with no ill effect. I've used even stronger concentrations than that without the effects you describe, as have other people such as the fella I quoted.

You said 2ml in 10 gallons stripped your roots completely bare. It's clear we're at loggerheads on this, So take that story and put it to someone else. See what they say.

Take care

Miraculous Meds

its all good i just don't want to see newbs using too much bleach, but i guess they can do the research themselves to draw their own conclusions cause obviously u aren't gonna say ur wrong and im not either. what do u know, another thing we don't agree on. lol

papaduc

Veteran
Look mate, all I know is I have experimented on my own plants, and who can say fairer than that? I know how bleach sounds to a lot of people, it did to me at one point. I wouldn't even clean my pots with it when I started gardening because I thought it would leave a residue which would cause some damage to the plant... But you live and learn.

Find out about using chlorine and bleach to sterilise drinking water and in hydro reservoirs and test it on a clone or two, what's there to lose? Make some just to test. See how far you can push them before you will actually kill them with bleach. You will be very surprised mate, I'm telling you.

Anyway, take it easy mate, I'm off :tiphat:

al70

Veteran
As a new grower myself, the one problem that slowed me down during my 18/6 schedule was trying to keep the lights out temps under control, the importance is so overlooked, goodluck

This is my first grow and I see that you said it's better to have one strain but I already have 5 different going and I have the strains mix around according to height would it be better if I sort them by strain instead to monitor them better?any advice would be much appreciated

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
This is my first grow and I see that you said it's better to have one strain but I already have 5 different going and I have the strains mix around according to height would it be better if I sort them by strain instead to monitor them better?any advice would be much appreciated

Having one strain flowering at a time is what a lot of guys do. It's called mono-cropping. It helps with canopy management.

Having a bunch of strains going in veg, is what most everyone has going on. You can arrange according to strain if you want.

But having them arranged according to size is gonna allow the shorter one's the light they need to catch up with the other taller plants.

Killing runts if you have more than you need, will also allow the bigger plants more area to grow, and fill out.

Nice clear labeling with a sharpie will also help to better keep track of what's what.

TracerChris

So now we've talked about getting started, what about harvesting, drying, trimming, and curing. Before anyone busts my balls about reading the forums and research that is out there myself... I have and it seems that a lot of contradictions and myths are evident within a lot of the forums. ^^^ look above for arguments on bleach... So I came here to see if I could get some more feedback on questions I've been wondering myself.

Specific questions to get the ball rolling are;

Does time of day matter for harvesting?

My understanding is that photosynthates/starches are moving between the roots to the leaves during dawn. Then from the leaves back to the roots at dusk.

Does leaving the lights off for 2 days before harvesting make a difference?

Does a dry-trim vs. a wet-trim have a huge impact on the terpene profile and overall taste?

When is a good indicator of when to start the cure?

As with most question I expect a wide variety of responses. I like were this thread is at and want to keep it going. The discussions sparked are interesting and I find I am always learning new things. Thanks

TracerChris

I'll just throw this out there,

I harvest right before the lights would snap on.

I don't wait the two 2 days of darkness, but am curious because I have never tried it.

I hang to dry immediately, then after 1-2 days drying I remove the fan leaves.
Let them go another week or so.
Once they're kinda crunchy but the stems aren't snapping yet and they have a little bit of a spongy-ness still, I put them in a wooden box over a screen.
1-3 days later I lightly manicure the remaining fan leaves and some crows feet then put the nugs into jars.
I open them twice a day for a few days then seal them for a week and check once a week after that until they're ready.

amanda88

420giveaway
Chimera's thinking of writing a book, maybe you can do the forward..? just a thought?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
chimera has a lot to pass on to folks^^I will be buying his book..he is prob too busy breeding and studying terpene profiles/results for designer strains ^^yeehaw... bleach is for the toilet...

Having one strain flowering at a time is what a lot of guys do. It's called mono-cropping. It helps with canopy management.

Having a bunch of strains going in veg, is what most everyone has going on. You can arrange according to strain if you want.

But having them arranged according to size is gonna allow the shorter one's the light they need to catch up with the other taller plants.

Killing runts if you have more than you need, will also allow the bigger plants more area to grow, and fill out.

Nice clear labeling with a sharpie will also help to better keep track of what's what.

Thanks for the reply DoubleTripleOg sounds like ill just leave them be as they seem to be doing fine right now I hav a few runts but been wanting to keep them around until I kno the sex of crop just in case I get a lot of males