What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i just discovered PPK!! Sorry, im new. Since I am building my rooms, lights (DIY COB LED), and irrigation system, from scratch, I am open to the idea of running a PPK system. I will definitely be doing SCROG and I will be running Coco. Not sure if i should run a DIY automated watering system that will essentially be draining to waste. Or if this PPK system is hands-down better? Any reason NOT to go PPK over DTW??

howdy and welcome! no, there is no reason. please go to the "something wicked this way comes" thread here in the hydro section. it shows the newest iteration.

howdy and welcome! no, there is no reason. please go to the "something wicked this way comes" thread here in the hydro section. it shows the newest iteration.
awesome thanks for your quick response! and detour! Someone told me to go check out the new PPK thread you made and I thought this was it

420ish

:good: i have 20 cxb3590's totaling 1000 watts and a 7x7 Flower Room and am researching PPK before I build. I've NEVER seen COB LEDs in a vertical configuration like that. Should I definitely go with a vertical configuration or are you experimenting?

i am always experimenting but as far as vertical growing goes,that is how i have been growing for a while.i really like the set up how i am growing now for how easy it is to get at the plant to tie up,trim leaves and or branches and inspect the plant for problems.
the down side is my 4 cob lights are 46 inches long.if i grow a short plant there is no way on my lights to reconfigure for a short wide plant.
if you are wanting to try vertical read up on it.plant management is critical so you do not end up with tons of larf.i trim pretty heavy and my last 4 plants have had virtually no larf buds!it took me a lot of trial and error to get that down!on here check out tysticks thread.he has done the vertical cobs water cooled!
i have gotten 5 to 10 oz per plant with these lights and ppk depending on strain and how well timed i did the sizing in veg.
stretchy strains are pretty easy to hit big numbers since they fill out my screens easy.
i run 1 4 cob light per plant so 10 oz from 200 watts of cxb is pretty good watts per gram!i have not got any where near dialed in in this new grow room.i still have to add co2 and a mini split to better control the enviroment.

bearded1

turface.com

turface.com

Turface.Com has a location finder. I couldn't get it till recently. I drove close to 100 miles to get it. Because I drove so far they gave me a break on the price $9.21 50# bag instead of $15. I bought 5 bags witch will last me a while.

Last edited:
FIRST-TIME GROWER HERE. Just finished my first grow/harvest and if D9 doesn't mind, I would now like to show his guests the power of PPK:

Here's my Harvest Photoshoot Album

Here's a "drone view" of my single plant canopy (Goji OG btw)

Here's the same plant chopped up and on the drying rack (anyone wanna guess yield? :biggrin:)

This plant was vegged for 2 months. LST'd, Topped twice and Flowered for about 85 days. I am one happy camper. Did i mention this is my first time growing a friggin' plant?

HUGE :thank you: TO D9 FOR CREATING SUCH A DAMN-NEAR-FOOL-PROOF, BORING-YET-FUCKING-AWESOME SYSTEM!!!

Damnnn lol. Just realized I was so high I posted this in the wrong thread. Meant to post it in the wicked ppk thread

Last edited:

Can anyone chime in on the effectiveness of coco in the wick? I tried it out see how well it drains I think I packed it too tight. Also have fine ish perlite so was wondering if that would wick effectively or if I mix the two?

Can not get turface in my part of the globe. Will try a ppk with coco just not sure on wick yet

AudibleAvocado

Delta, I think you taught me how to grow in person a few years back, but I ended up leaving since the man with the money didn’t wanna pay his employees. Just came across a news article in which one of the guys that worked with us shot and killed someone with a very similar name as you and I’m concerned because you had a tremendous influence on me. If you’re alive and you think you know me then get in touch, but if you’re dead then I’m shit outta luck I guess. There is a chance you’re not who I think you are, in which case sorry for wasting your time.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Delta, I think you taught me how to grow in person a few years back, but I ended up leaving since the man with the money didn’t wanna pay his employees. Just came across a news article in which one of the guys that worked with us shot and killed someone with a very similar name as you and I’m concerned because you had a tremendous influence on me. If you’re alive and you think you know me then get in touch, but if you’re dead then I’m shit outta luck I guess. There is a chance you’re not who I think you are, in which case sorry for wasting your time.

i'm still kicking buddy! the victim in the shooting has a similar last name and the same first name so it is a little confusing.

i left oregon in november. i'm currently working in the hemp industry in the deep south.

i don't know how to reach you. can you pm yet?

SuperWeed

i'm still kicking buddy! the victim in the shooting has a similar last name and the same first name so it is a little confusing.

i left oregon in november. i'm currently working in the hemp industry in the deep south.

i don't know how to reach you. can you pm yet?

Hi Delta! You left Oregon? Hit me up in a DM bro. I tried getting a hold of you a few months back...

tino1013

Are you in any of the south's numerous hemp farming facebook groups? I'm both licensed and back in the south, too. Safe to sat I owe you at least a handshake and a beer for all i've learned in your threads. You.da.man!

Props to D9 for the development of this system. I'd grown in small stealth cabs for several years, and after running DWC and coco, had better results using the hempy bucket style with a wick into a reservoir. I made these with 2 litre bottles, cutting them and inverting the top into about a 4" "reservoir" of the bottom half. So I knew that the wicking principle works. I was a little leery of using pumps, as in my DWC experience I had a lot of problems with the air pumps and stones.

Since running the PPK, I haven't had a single pump failure, and I've used a variety from the eco that D9 recommends to cheapos from Harbor Freight, they just keep going since you're effectively running only minutes per day. I started with the straight Turface as original method, then the perlite mixture and recently have used lava rock in the tailpipe as D9 recommended.

Years back I was interested in the bio-bucket, but didn't have the space for a system. I did run DWC using netpots filled with lava rock, and found that the "beneficial bacteria" grew in this format as described with bio-buckets. My understanding is that the porous lava rock is a good environment, and that it needs to be semi-submerged in water for the bacteria to form near the water surface. So when D9 mentioned using it in tail piece, I followed suit.

I don't know all the science involved, but with the bio-buckets you basically use an oversize net pot - so you have a larger area of the rock. I'm wondering if adding something like a netpot of lavarock in the bucket beside the tailpipe, would allow more bacteria to form and be more beneficial? Maybe not higher yields, but better flavor or potency?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Props to D9 for the development of this system. I'd grown in small stealth cabs for several years, and after running DWC and coco, had better results using the hempy bucket style with a wick into a reservoir. I made these with 2 litre bottles, cutting them and inverting the top into about a 4" "reservoir" of the bottom half. So I knew that the wicking principle works. I was a little leery of using pumps, as in my DWC experience I had a lot of problems with the air pumps and stones.

Since running the PPK, I haven't had a single pump failure, and I've used a variety from the eco that D9 recommends to cheapos from Harbor Freight, they just keep going since you're effectively running only minutes per day. I started with the straight Turface as original method, then the perlite mixture and recently have used lava rock in the tailpipe as D9 recommended.

Years back I was interested in the bio-bucket, but didn't have the space for a system. I did run DWC using netpots filled with lava rock, and found that the "beneficial bacteria" grew in this format as described with bio-buckets. My understanding is that the porous lava rock is a good environment, and that it needs to be semi-submerged in water for the bacteria to form near the water surface. So when D9 mentioned using it in tail piece, I followed suit.

I don't know all the science involved, but with the bio-buckets you basically use an oversize net pot - so you have a larger area of the rock. I'm wondering if adding something like a netpot of lavarock in the bucket beside the tailpipe, would allow more bacteria to form and be more beneficial? Maybe not higher yields, but better flavor or potency?
This man, DELTA9NSX (sorry I never called you) has led me to and thru some good stuff. I'm still in it because of the D9 and the PPK. Thank you brother.

Dont know about lava rock and beneficial bacteria but the rez the 'wick' is in doesnt contribute allot to growth, unless of course the roots go down there or your feed pump fails (dont think it wont happen:biggrin:) so beneficial bacteria in there isnt going to help... I dont think. The Passive Plant Killer thread explains allot about the science at a level even I can comprehend, although it was a lot easier for me to comprehend with the pictures before the pictures were taken out. Good luck.:tiphat: