What's new

Tree growing: Guerillia growing off the ground

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
you're right dude...you know I think as the man from the most rainy town of Italy....

see ya...

G

BackCountry :wave:

Most Innovative ideas as usual..Thought I would drop in say hi and add my 2 cents...Long long ago before I was even growing I remember a story on 60 minutes or some investigative program where a guy was busted for cultivation outdoors on his land...The reason it was such an issue was because the government or some other ruling body had tried to buy this guys land for a good few years...They did everything and this man would not sell...I can't remember the little details this was awhile ago..

Anyhow...Next thing you Know the government is hauling him in on culitvation charges...The guy denied all knowledge of the plants and claimed it was the government throwing their weight around to now strip him of land he would not sell...Wether the plants were in actuallity his was only really known by him..So he is protesting his innocence on the show and they say to him hang on a minute here the plants that were taken from your property were big and must have taken time to grow...They say if you know your property well enough to bring us to an unmarked spot among acres and acres surely you would have noticed a big patch of MJ..

They were stood in a clearing surrounded by trees..The guy reached out pulled a rope from somewhere on the tree and lowered down a bucket from high in the tree canopy...There was more than one and the ropes went up what seemed to be around 100 feet but was probably more like 50..The buckets were attached to a network of pulleys and some had even been counterbalanced...

Have you looked into pulleys and counterbalances at all BC?

I knew a guy when I was younger and he had nowhere to grow in his house and lived in a Suburban neighborhood with low fence lines..His entire family were stoners so yes he had his Dad's consent...I never knew a thing about the plant until he told me to come in his backyard one day..He said look up..I did and saw nothing...He had done what someone else suggested and camoed the container with an old faded army green t-shirt..The plant was about 40 to 50 feet up in the tree and we even went up to have a look..It was growing great and in an area where it was catching some but not allot of wind..The container was on a perch he had built that was very small and blended with the tree...Faded wood like old water logged pallets blend better than new bright wood...

Hope all is well BC Good luck with the trees
Yoshi

Last edited:
Captain Skunk said:
Tree growing will always remind me, of the first day I met you BC..............

me too............i first remember you on OG for your creative ideas for growing in treetops

i sure hope your plan gets off the ground...............i'm sure you will encounter several obstacles, but if anyone is determined..............it is you

best of luck this year

be well
:respect:

PureSativa420

BACKCOUNTRY said:
PureSativa420 & Captain skunk-Thanx guys! I am going to try and find the right tree, and make this happen this summer, but remember I said that before...LOL!

haha yes thats true you said it before! hmm now yoshi and the others giving me some mad ideas :D, since im young eh maybe ill just have to try a tree grow the old fashioned way, climb up a tree with a milk crate or two!

G

This thread has inspired me! I looked at the one on OG a little but now taking the time to understand and apply this method I think I might be able to make it happen. I have a few trees in mind, and I'll have plants on the ground too. Be interesting to see if one outperforms the other.

And what about adding those polymer crystals to the mix so you have to water even less?

Any idea where to find milkcrates? I worked at a place that had them and it said it was a crime to take them...heh. Those were hood ones though others are probably different.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yoshiscolas said:
They were stood in a clearing surrounded by trees..The guy reached out pulled a rope from somewhere on the tree and lowered down a bucket from high in the tree canopy...There was more than one and the ropes went up what seemed to be around 100 feet but was probably more like 50..The buckets were attached to a network of pulleys and some had even been counterbalanced...

Have you looked into pulleys and counterbalances at all BC?
Hi yoshi! Good to see all the old reliables showing up here!

When I sat down to figure this problem out, I had a few goals:

#1-Increase the safety of tree growing by reducing the number of times the tree will be climbed. Using my idea, you should only need to climb once, to drive the anchor spike. If you need to care for the plant, lower it to the ground.

#2-Make it easy to move the grow if necesary. Using my idea, it should be as easy as lowering the planter to the ground, moving to the new location, and driving a new spike.

#3-Make it so a person walking through the area will not see evidence of the grow at eye or ground level. With the rope achored to the spike, high up the tree, this is accomplished.

#4-Do the above with as little man made material in the tree as possible.

Number four is the goal that made the rest more difficult to work out. The beauty of this system is that it is very functional, with very little metal, plastic, etc., involved. Everything was thought out according to this.

At first I was thinking of using pulleys, but why use them when nature provides you with one, that being the tree branch itself(or the crotch of one). Again, the counter balances would be cool, but its just more unneeded stuff up there.
I'm also not to keen on leaving ropes hanging down where folks can see them(even if they are cleverly hidden), I see it as the same thing as leaving a defined path to your (traditional)grow on the ground.

I do really see tree growing as a novelty really, for me personally, it is not as practical as simply hiking around and finding a good spot on the ground. But there may be folks out there with a big bushy tree in the backyard, and nowhere else to grow. Or maybe somebody out there lives in a place where trees dominate and do not provide sunny niches on the ground.
Who knows who this could help, but I was bored and looking for something to work on at the time(cabin fever).
So there ya have it boys and girls!

Interesting. I have a book that goes into growing in trees in detail, it's older, but I'm sure it has some good info and ideas for yall. I'll dig it out of my bookcases and see if there is anything relevant. Peace...

Another suggestion would be to plant something legal in the same type container close to home. When it starts to dry out, you know it's time to go water the treeplant.

Also, if you have to go into the tree for the plant anchor, wonder if you might also want to setup a resevior just above for a water source (less hauling?).

Lastly, it would seem pine trees would work best. Always green (no winter undress of the grow space or fall uncover from falling leaves), slower growing (overgrowth of grow space), less sun filter then leaves, no worries of it being chopped for firewood, less worries of damage from animals and the resin is more of a deterent for climbers.

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Wouldnt it be easier to just carve out a hole at the top and fill it with soil instead of using a bucket n all that.

jasonk

I did this once last year Toker, and will be doing it again this year. It was in an old ,nearly rotten stump thats about 15 feet high. I can climb the stump quite easily, so that wasnt a problem. The two greatest benefits I found by tree growing is the increased sunlight and animals never once touched the plant up there. You must be aware of the increased wind factor because in my case there wasnt much around to absorb the wind. When i watered with normal water I would jsut fill up my camel back and also bring some tools inside there to make climbing easier. When I used ferts I would attach a watering can to a stick and put it up at the top before climbing.

ewegrow

Backcountry: an intersting thread--I remember reading this back at OG.

Any reason why you chose a milk crate over, say a 5 gallon bucket or grow bag?

ewegrow

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
T.doT.Toker -That would be a cool way to do it, but you are commited to the spot you grow in, with my basket you can move the grow any time you like, and you don't have to go digging holes in healthy trees. I think it actually would be easier the way I have planned.

jasonk-Got any pics? I hardly see any of tree grows.

ewegrow-A grow bag would definatly not work with the hanging system. Platic buckets are not actually all that strong, if I drilled holes in one to put my cables through, I would be worried all the time about the bucket splitting, comming to my grow to find it all in a pile at the base of the tree would not be a happy day.
When I was younger, I worked as a box boy in a grocery store, I handled milk crates all day long, and I noticed that they were very strong for the weight. This is why I chose to use them.

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
BC is a tree hugger!!! jk jk... thast a good point tho never thought of moving the plants.

B

Bluebeard

Me and a friend are planning on doing a tree grow this year on top of a normal guerilla grow. I like the idea of the milk crates but since wandering people stumbling on the trees are of absolutely no concern where we are at I'm thinking we will use pullies and rope instead of steel cable. My coworker spent 5 years as a tree trimmer and he's a freaking monkey when it comes to climbing trees, but you couldn't pay me enought to get in a tree with a chainsaw. Anyway a few words on safety. Like was said before you should never do this stuff alone even if you are working with a lanyard harness setup. After a fall harnesses will pinch the arteries in your leg turning your feet black in a half hour also have a full body harness if its just one of the ones that go around your waste and legs a fall could snap your back. Some people prefer to climb with spikes some prefer ascenders. I had an old outdoor growing video made by hightimes where the guy opulled off a crop of afghani in some cedar trees but he never explained how the plants were lit. He did say the quality was better and there was no insect prevention needed I guess because most outdoor insects graze on but don't infest cannabis since it isn't something they've acquired a taste for like indigenous plants or a tomato garden that's been in the same place for years.

G

Has anyone thought of using wicks for watering??? run them in small pvc pipe up the tree

Latest posts

Latest posts