What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas For Side-By-Side Experiments

JWP

The great Yield debate...

People spend millions every year on nutrients, additives & enhancers. You have soil vs hydro vs vert vs digital vs LED's vs everything else.

You have a 200 page thread where people are told to cut the leaves off plant to increase yield and they do it! The thread has nearly a quarter of a million views with 3000 replys!

Nutrient companys are making massive million dollar proffits every year and its BIG competition to get the consumer dollar.

People care about Yield more than anything else!

So i'm sure ALL of these people would like to see the best way to maximise yield right!?

So lets see an expansion on Kodiak's fine work in the "A Complete Guide to Topping, Training and Pruning" thread.

A thread which i believe is by far the most important cannabis thread on the whole of the interweb!

Topping vs FIM vs Super Cropping vs LST vs SCROG vs SOG vs Monster Cropping

Hell even throw a defoliated plant in there if you like (which i predict will yield least of all the growing techniques)!

This would not be fair on the SOG plant so feel free to exclude it if you like.

The monster cropped plant along with LST plant could even enter two categories, scrog.

You would need to do this with 3 sub categories.

1. Inica Dom
2. 50/50 Hybrid
3. Sativa Dom

My prediction; The monster cropped plants will out yield the average by +20%! And out yield the next best yielder by +10%

Whoever did a thread like this would be famous and forever and known thoughout the cannabis community.

Anyone who has ever converted from soil to hydro, anyone who has ever spent a single dollar on nutrients or additives should be interested in a thread like this.

Who is capable of doing it correctly? I can fire off at least 10 ICMAG members right now that i know whould do it right.

I would like to see more than one person do it. I leave it to you...

SKAGITMAGIC

Aeroponic VS Rapid Rooter

Aeroponic VS Rapid Rooter

I just did a side by side on cloning, I used JJSCORPIO'S thread for a learning example, and followed the manufacture's intructions, they went in 8 days ago,15 in each unit The rapid rooter won hands down. I potted 11 rooted clones from the rapid rooter, and ZERO from the AERO cloner, Surprised the heck out of me. It seems the dutch treat # 5 likes the domed invironment. I like to match my clones up to a specific mom, the white tabs help me keep track. I have a large BLZ clone in the aero cloner a friend gave me, he had a accident that had him in tears,kinda wishin I'd put her in the Rapid rooter,anyway a couple of the clones were from my whurkle bud, they also loved the rapid rooter. P.S. all the clones in the AERO CLONER still look healthy,they'll be along eventually.

Attachments

• P1070525.JPG
    P1070525.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 35
S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

seeded flowers vs unseeded flowers. See what effets are more favourable.

dragunn

id like to see a room by room.1000 ppm of co2 vs 1500 ppm of co2.

if plants really can use only 1000 ppm think of the savings.a third less fuel,less heat and less a/c.big savings.

savvy

Hi,

I'll be evaluating a new complete grow fixture by Gavita and doing a comparison grow to an AAW Avenger Medium, both in identically setup Homebox XL tents, using one very homogenous strain, all clones from the same cut. 600W Philips Greenpower HPS lamps, 12-15 plants per box in 7,5l airpots, Gold Label light mix as substrate, Canna Nutes.

One box will have a 600W B.A.L. electronic ballast connected by a cable to the AAW/socket, the other the 600W pro line fixture by Gavita with integrated ballast, this will be the only difference - the objective is to compare the reflector/ballast systems in heat generation and manageability, light distribution and intensity as well as quality and quantity of product side-by-side with the same environmental conditions.

This will be documented in German in the newly created Austrian section of the ICMag forums, maybe it's going to be an interesting comparative review for the english-speaking community as well?

I've read that the same thread can only be in one subsection, not both - since one will be in English, the other in German, does the same still apply?

Kind regards

<edit>Link to the report in German</edit>

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran

I dont know if it has been posted yet in this thread. So many people talk about music and plants. So if someone has the space to do an experiment. This would be a great test.

EDIT -- Adding more ideas.

Alot of people argue with Heaths PPM theory. So a 600 PPM ( 500 -600 all the way through) grow verses 1000-2000 ppm or however high alot of these growers are pushing there ppms. ( heaths chart shows plants cant use anything past *600 and its actually bad for the plant. * basically something like 500 -600 ppm or 1.2 EC i think he said is the highest he would ever go.)

Also maybe a vertical verses flat. Like a 600 watt on a 3x3 table ( 4 or 9 plants) horizontal verses a 600 watt vertical with 4 3x3 walls (4 or 9 plants per wall) Does the grower who gets .x grams per watt horizontal get x.x grams per watt vertical ?

SKAGITMAGIC

B.S. vs C.S.

B.S. vs C.S.

Amend my soil only changing the chicken sh*t for bullsh*t and vice-versa. The Mrs. is going to make me some Pot Wraps useing velcro and Burlap, protection from the summer sun and it adds a little stealth to the brightly colored tubs.

Attachments

• P1070973.JPG
    P1070973.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 37
make an Autoflowering hybrid (without retrocrosses and without cross f1 itself)

the idea is... keep hybrid vigor (playing with autoflowering gen)

For example (names of strains not real)

2 males AF , lowrider and lowrider #2 (or female)
2 normal and different females (haze and skunk) (or males)

crossing.
Haze x Lowrider = f1 (not AF, but have the recessive gen)
Skunk x Lowrider = f1 " " " " " (same)

then

(haze x LR) x (Skunk x LR) = Haze/Sk (F1) --> 25% population AutoFlowering

Take Lowrider #2 male and cross with the 25% of Haze/Sk and the new generation is 100% Autoflowering.

no different phenos because sisters/brothers non crossed, like an hybrid.

¿More production because the vigour?

I'ts only an idea that i would like practise

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
I would like to see Miracle Grow (I know, I know) vs expensive, hydro store bought nutes. Perhaps this has already been done?

B

Buffoonman

I would like to see Miracle Grow (I know, I know) vs expensive, hydro store bought nutes. Perhaps this has already been done?

My last grow was with bio bizz all mix and plagron royalty mix soil they cost me £13 for 50l bags. Using westlands soil this time £4 a bag. Definitly less problems and a larger yield with the cheaper soil. The ph kept drifiting out with the expensive organic soil, will definitley be sticking with the cheaper soil. Beware though don't go too cheap such as arthur Bowers soil as you will be risking it being infested with fungus gnat larvae.:ying:

Mr. Beanz

After the success I had with rapid rooters I'm sold hands down. The only cuttings that have died in rapid rooters are the ones I pulled out myself. Eventually they all root, sooner rather than later usually. I don't even add anything to the water anymore. Just straight tap water, and mine comes out at 650 ppm. God bless rapid rooters.

supermanlives

Veteran
i would love to see a comparison between uppotted plants and plant started in there final container. rootmass profile and yield of plant.

Waiting until the water leaf begins to show its aging or slight yellowing, then removing seems to produce the most end weight. This has been a practice employed regularly. works.

B

bock, bock

Has anyone done a Lollipopped vs Un-Lollipopped side by side? That would be interesting.