What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to tame flowering trees?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've been given 3x 4-5ft plants in 5 gallon buckets that are 3-4 weeks into flower. I cannot extend my light any higher (600w in a DR100) and the plants are still stretching, some are touching the reflector and others are going past the reflector.

When possible, I tie down branches. What else can I do? I'd like to avoid chopping off tops because there's a lot of hairs on top. A lot of branches don't easily bend. I just broke one the other day trying to bend it a little (but it healed fine and is now stretching into the reflector.)

If I do manage to tie down the branches, the 4 plants would extend their bucket diameter and begin going into each other's space. Would this be acceptable vs just chopping off branches/tops?

M

madback

hey man, I'd strongly recommend to tie it down. Be a little gentler this time around, because I know the feeling about snapping plants in half, not good:shucks:. When the growth starts to invade the other's, position it so it fits just right.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
and if all that doesnt seem to work lol....Try taking out the reflector and switching the set to vert for the remainder of the cylce.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gotta use 'plant jiu jitsu'! Bending without breaking is an aquired skill, but even a stiff stemmed lady can be bent gracefully with the proper technique. The concept is similar to heat bending wood (if you've built a boat or a violin) in that it involves 'buckling' the fibers on the inside of the curve without tearing those on the outside. Using your thumb to crush the fibers on the underside and spread the bend over a large area are key points.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Forget being gentle, crush it. Twice! Don't bend, fold at 180º like a piece of paper. Crush stalk between thumb and forefinger, rotate grip 90º, crush again, fold stalk over.

If it splits vertically, no worries, wrap a twist tie around the break, it will heal in a few days. If it splits horizontally, no worries, wrap a twist tie around the break, it will heal in a few days, try again higher or lower.

Here's an 8 Mile High plant with stems like celery. This split was big enough to stick my thumb through (lighter for scale only). She didn't care, just straightened out and kept growing. For this reason tying after folding is still a good idea as I've done with the main stalk.