What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flushing and THC concentration

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I recently came across this interview w/ Dr.Hornby (2005)

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4552.html

I quoted the relevant excerpt below:

CC: I recently heard about a sample that was at 36.8% THC. Do you know anything else about that profile?

DH: Yeah, I did the analysis.

CC: What plant was that?

DH: I watched the thing come out. My mouth was hanging down around my knees. I couldn?t believe it. It was amazing. It was just incredible!

CC: And was it mature?

DH: It peaks?I don?t know if I should be talking about this? well, I guess it?s okay. We?ve recently discovered a phenomenon in growing an eight week plant. The THC peaks between weeks six and seven and it?s about two or three points less at week eight as it is at week seven.

CC: Why?

DH: Well that?s because you?re flushing. And when you flush, you stop your nutrient flow into your plant; it quits producing resinous cannabinoids, your leaf weight increases into the last week, but you don?t see the cannabinoids increase. You?re diluting your cannabinoids in the leaf weight. But if you cut it at week seven, you?re going to get the nutrients in your bud. There?s a catch-22 there. We?re trying to sort out which nutrients are required to keep the THC coming while the flush is continuing, if that?s possible. So, this is news for all growers. We discovered this phenomenon about a month ago. We?ve seen it before ? it just hadn?t really come clear in our minds.

CC: The strain with the 30% plus THC: what was that?

DH: As far as I know, a Northern Lights strain number 1 and it?s grown in Calgary.

What do ya'll think? I've known flushing near end of flowering is depriving the plant of key elements when it needs it most, but didn't know it affected THC production by such a significant amount.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I have never flushed in several decades of production. Never seen a reason. I'm primarily organic though and don't actively feed much at all in terms of total NPK input. Now, maybe flushing affects different feeding/growing regimines, I don't know. Personally for me it does nothing but stress plants right when they need stress least.

Latest posts

Latest posts