What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLastic....leaching?

!PeAcE!

I was pondering the other night over my nightly vape session and thought about the dangers of plastic with water bottles and thought to myself why cant the same thing happen with plants?? because hydro all they do is run water through plastic (tubing, buckets, pump) Now can plastic leach into the water and be absorbed by the roots? I know people have had no problem growing with plastic tubs, buckets etc, id be curious to know if anyone here strictly goes clay pots for this very reason??

beejium

Water, agitation, heat, and light breaks down plastic. I'm sure the plants could take in some of the plastic, but is it enough to do anything? Now what about that vape... Does it have a hose made of plastic? or a plastic smoke bag? I would worry about that more then the plants uptake. What about the aluminum grinders? There is a soft metal being spread across your hands and smoke.

!PeAcE!

I actually am upgrading up whip to a stainless steel auto hose, it looks cooler too hahaha. Im a DIY nutcase lol.

beejium

I still use combustion. I have never played with a vape I will get one at some point. It kinda gets to me that back in the 80"s there were "baby safe bottles" (plastic) that were deemed hazardous years later. It makes me wonder about the microwave safe food containers that warp and twist like a pretzel when heated.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Now can plastic leach into the water and be absorbed by the roots? I know people have had no problem growing with plastic tubs, buckets etc, id be curious to know if anyone here strictly goes clay pots for this very reason??

Yes. In fact the mild acidic conditions in your typical hydro system would enhance leaching of most plasticizers. Vinyl hoses probably have the highest plasticizer content. We use food grade silicone hoses on the vape which is just glass & metal for the most part. Plastic can also absorb some compounds depending on the type and re-release them later as well. Different plastics have different properties. HDPE for instance is a common material for buckets and generally is pretty low on potential problem chems.

Is any of this dangerous or being absorbed by the plants? Not a clue!

Latest posts

Latest posts