What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pushing air through activated carbon

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I have A LOT of activated carbon and would like to use this in my scrubber instead of using a commercial carbon filter.

What are some ideas for doing this? The carbon is in granules, not powder.

P

prop215

the thread title and question is kind of misleading.. I thought it was about pushing air through a scrubber rather than pulling.. But the question is about how to make a filter? tons of DIY threads here and all over the web. Just google "DIY carbon filter"

AKDrifter

There are a milloon DIY builds here, and every other MJ board. I made a fast easy one with a piece of 6" thin walled PVC and two pieces of screen. This one was a blow through type scrubber that my blower mounted directly to after sucking the gonjad air from my cabnet.

Screened the end , 10" of activated carbon packed in then a circle of plywood with a 5 1/4" hole in the center and screen stapled/glued in place, that fit the ID of the pipe. As simple as any I have ever seen and worked great. Think the paper towel/fabric softner stealth toke filter, samey same...but bigger.

That link by DurbanPoison that frezer gave is the SHIZNIT!!

I made one to spec....over sized for my cab but it has been running for 6 months straight and still smells like NOTHING!!! :)

I made mine with a 6'' core and an 8'' outer. Im pushing through it with a 265 active ir blower. Pulling through abot 4 feet of duct before scubber.

cost me about $25 total with carbon!

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Whoops, I meant pulling, not pushing. Thanks for the link, I'm going to make one to spec today.