What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Small pot for faster sprouting?

pinkus

Veteran
Some of this stuff is pretty location specific: where I am heating mats have a three-month window when they are useful and nine they are a questionable choice. Likewise with seed starter trays. However, when I was doing this in Minnesota, they both made more sense. If I lived in a cloud forest the starter trays would probably be fantastic.

Willow water is great stuff!

:bandit:

Last edited:

Superauto

Maybe I should have been more specificThis is not a question of germination, I pre germinate the seeds with the paper towel method before I put them in tje soil
The question is still who will reach the surface first ;)

pinkus

Veteran
Rule of thumb with planting ANY seed: plant seed a depth of 2-3 times their width. It varies with the medium but shallower is generally better than deeper.

I know it's super common to do the paper towel method. imO, it's not optimal to do this as it increases the chances of several things we don't want: damping off, damaging the root hairs, dried beans being the top three.

I use rooters. with the seeds in rooters it's about 50/50 on whether I see the tap root first or the cotyledons.

Good luck. :bandit:

Superauto

Rule of thumb with planting ANY seed: plant seed a depth of 2-3 times their width. It varies with the medium but shallower is generally better than deeper.

I know it's super common to do the paper towel method. imO, it's not optimal to do this as it increases the chances of several things we don't want: damping off, damaging the root hairs, dried beans being the top three.

I use rooters. with the seeds in rooters it's about 50/50 on whether I see the tap root first or the cotyledons.

Good luck. :bandit:
I’m a just a noob but I killed several seeds by putting them in straight in the soil.Then I tried 7 seeds in paper towel, all 7 germinated and all 7 sprouted

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will a small pot make the seed sprout faster(because of rootbound)?

NO!

The only thing a small pot does is open up space for more seedlings to be sprouted in their individual containers.

Sprouting in larger containers allows the roots to spread out quicker.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Instead of phos, we use willow water for root growth.
I’ve used willow water before for propagation, but not for seeds. Soaked broken up willow branches in water for a couple of days.

What’s your recipe? Sorry to go off topic.