What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I have a big 1000w mh in my big grow room. Love the mh lights and always have. Frankly I'm tired of having to be concerned with the heat and how to deal with it.
I like the lower power usage and low heat of the leds. Thinking of converting to all leds. It's tough though when you are old school like me and are used to the great production of high powered lights. This little led panel however is making me a believer.
Saying all that, it will be very hard to give up this, my all time favorite bulb:
https://eyehortilux.com/grow-lights/dual-arc/
This thing produces some beautiful buds. I use it start to finish.

Never tried the dual 1K's, had a single run many years ago. With 2x 600W HPS and a 400W MH between them, that did very well but ended up using the MH for veg and flower under HPS.

From what I think I have learned so far, is your gonna need almost as many watt's for LED as HPS. Your mainly cutting down on the heat, but thats also a major plus in my book.

I think 315 CMH might be a better option atm, to cut back on power use in flower.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Oiled up the closet, with a cheap teakoil for in and outdoor use.
It should be prefectly safe for the plants, it's safe for me so I figure it will be all right with the plants.

Closing off the wood, and hardening it a bit, so it won't stain and scratch as easy.

Now I basicly just need to mount the handles, and the exterior part of the closet is done. Might add a small wood list/ceiling panel around it, to finish it off once im done with the whole room.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
It couldn't hurt. :biggrin: They don't test weed for Performance Enhancing Drugs do they?

At this stage, probably not.

Did a change up last night, to see if I couldn't improve things a little for the clones.
The passive hydroton, didn't pan out as well as hoped. It was only the plan to keep them like that for a short time, while I get the last things done.

I dug out a old wilma drip system, that I once got to test and write some reviews.
Got a drip, ebb n flood, a wilma 8 and wilma 10. All but one have been given away, to growers in need but for some reason I kept this unit.

I was only able to fit the res, into the top of the closet.
Placed a 6mm sheet of glass and a rubbermaid lit, on the lower edge of the res.
Added a pump and feed line, so now they are on automatic feeding.

Ec 0.7
pH 5.8

I have added a little more hydroton, to cover the RW cubes a little better.

Not sure if 0.7 Ec is a little high, they look to be imporving slightly and there are new root growth.
Maybe I just got to be patient now, let them get to settle in and they should come around I guess.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Im depressed all day, looking at thouse sad looking plants in the closet. I wander back and fourth, like to and empty fridge.
That didn't magicly refill by itself since you looked 10 min ago.

They have stoped getting worse it seems, so im pretty sure they are on their way to recovery.

On the other hand, I hear cannabis flowers can be a great antidepression medication. And I have to say, thats totaly true.
At this point, I get a big smile on my face in the evening.
When I open the door to the flower room, to the smell and view of dank looking buds.

Ec 1.2
pH 5.95

The view at 36 days in 12/12, sorry I can't bring you the smell.

Then a quick look at the two tallest colas in the back, Skunk #1 to the left and a Cheese top to the right.

And then on to look at some of the trichomes on the nearby buds.

Getting close to 6 weeks, still plenty of time to pack up a lot of bud.

EvergreenState

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Mix 5 grams of Whey powder per gallon of water. Pump those girls up!
Everything cruising right along in the big room. You should take some buds with you on the boat. Dry them out in the sun for about three days and they should be ok to smoke. Might be rougher than a cob but at least you'll be high.:biggrin:

Luckily that won't be needed, we are covered for the vacation. About once a month I buy a bar of hash, and I have saved a few different kinds over the past months. So we will have 3-4 different kinds of kiff, and when we get home. It's to bud thats been hanging, 2-3 weeks on the stalk. Ready to jar and cure, but also dry enough to smoke.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Palindrome !

I totally forgot to ask you something :

picture.php

(pm me if you don't want to publish it)

I know whey is "egg" protein , but if you want real anabolic for plants simply try cutting hormon . ( real butyric acid, not erztaz we had recently.)

:tiphat: Thanks in advance !

Palindrome

King of Schwag

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I know whey is "egg" protein , but if you want real anabolic for plants simply try cutting hormon . ( real butyric acid, not erztaz we had recently.)

:tiphat: Thanks in advance !

The whey pic was a joke, im not giving my plants whey protein.
And im not fucking around with butyric acid, spill that stuff and you might as well just burn you house down.
That stuff smells sooo bad, I think im good without it.

Yesterday I gave them a folia feeding with Fish-mix, that looks like it have helped them. A few is looking much better, starting to show new growth as well.
They should be back on track soon :)

EvergreenState

Luckily that won't be needed, we are covered for the vacation. About once a month I buy a bar of hash, and I have saved a few different kinds over the past months. So we will have 3-4 different kinds of kiff, and when we get home. It's to bud thats been hanging, 2-3 weeks on the stalk. Ready to jar and cure, but also dry enough to smoke.

You are definitely hooked up. Happy sailing.:dance013:
If anyone couldn't tell I was joking, never put frickin' whey powder in your nute solution!:noway:

EvergreenState

You let your buds dry two to three weeks huh. That's quite a bit longer than I've seen recommended. That's one area where I've always been confused about what is right because the recommendations are all over the board. What are your environmental conditions for drying?
I'm not saying you are wrong, after all you are my idol:kissass:, I'm just really unsure what is the right amount of time to dry.:confused:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
You let your buds dry two to three weeks huh. That's quite a bit longer than I've seen recommended. That's one area where I've always been confused about what is right because the recommendations are all over the board. What are your environmental conditions for drying?
I'm not saying you are wrong, after all you are my idol:kissass:, I'm just really unsure what is the right amount of time to dry.:confused:

As everything else, if you ask this question online you will get 20 different answers :D

Im not totaly ready yet, still need a dehumidifyer+controller to get 100% controll of the RH in the room.

I used to dry my buds in 6-10 day many years ago, but then I was on a vacation and visited an old tobacco museum.
Guided by an old timer, who used to work in there when they still made tobacco.
When we got to the drying rooms, he started to explain about how important it was to dry it right.
They would dry it slow and pref. just under 20 C degrees, in 55-65% humidity with alot of air movement.
The air movement prevents mold, and the tobacco would remain its falvors and soft structure. So you could roll it, without cracks or crumbling.

Went right home, modded my dry room and gave that a go for my next harvest.
And you wouldnt belive the difference, in flavor and smell compared to my old noob drying.
I did loose a few buds to mold, getting it right and figuring out how much and how close I could hang it in the room.
My buds stoped crumbling, they would remain soft and "moist" to the touch. But would grind up really nice, and be really great smoke after a short cure.

So I aim to dry at 18-19 C, 55-65% RH and alot of air movement, over 2-3 weeks.
To maintain terps, essential oils, and soft structure in the buds.
Not sure I will be able to do that, here in the summer heat tho.

I think there is something in the big book of hashish, on this topic if you come across it.

But thats my reasoning, for a long and slow drying. Many do it differently, and each to their own.
We are all different people, and live in different enviroments.
Might be in Cuba, they cure tobacco in a different way then in northern europe. But this is how they made it work for them, and I think it worked great on my weed as well. :tiphat:

EvergreenState

Thank You for such a thorough and detailed answer. The best info. I've been given on the subject.
Do you hang the plant whole or by branches? How much, if any, do you trim off before you start drying?
What is your curing procedure? Thanks again for the help.

EvergreenState

My grandfather was a tobacco farmer in Kentucky, USA and he hung his tobacco from the rafters in his barn. The barn had boards on the side that would open up and help the air flow. The conditions were variable throughout the drying period but it was the way it had been done for generations. I'm also not sure what type of tobacco was grown either. I'm sure that would have made a difference as well.
I have no doubt there was further processing down the road from the buyers.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
The majority is cured in jars or rubbermaids, until it no longer needs to be burped.
Then its packed it down in heatsealed bags, for long term storage.

The bud I smoke from, I cure in cedar humidors (for cigars).
When it's about 3/4th empty, I refill it with a storage bag.
Giving it time to breath in the humidor, before I start smoking it.

I'll give that article a read, will be interresting to see their take on it.

There should be a big difference in tobacco, for cigars and cigarets.
Might be different how it's cured and dried as well, but again I never read much into tobacco. So it's mainly based on a single visit to a museum many years ago :D

Palindrome

King of Schwag
About trimming, I remove everything I don't wanna smoke basicly.
I hang it on the branches, as it's easy to handle and hang.
Compared to trimming a whole plant, and the space theyd take up.