What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ozone, to buy or not to buy?

G

Hi, was wondering if anyone has any experience using Ozone Generators?

i have been lookin around on ebay a bit trying to find a deal on something that will rid my basement of the funk of skunk.... now i know some of you will say "ozone is bad for you , blah blah blah" well i know that , and most of these units don't put out enough ozone to do a damn thing to you or pets health wise.... now on to my question.

Is ozone an EFFECTIVE way to defunk my growing area IF i use it in the room that my grow box is in, and not actually inside the growbox or it's vent system?

the unit i've been eyeballing is cheap, about 90 bucks cheap.... good deal compared to some of the 400 dollar units out there, but this one does not have any duct/vent adapters it's just a box.... and i do not want to put this box in my C22, because i am scared taht it will deodorize my still growing plants, and i want them to be stanky when growing/dried / cured , so my goal is to have all the stink in my cab, and the room around it be odor free.... is this something that i can do with ozone?

my other options i guess are a carbon filter, but for stealth purposes i really dont want a big ass can sticking off of my box, and i'm a bit worried taht one of these units won't fit my venting system as i would need it to. Also, dont want to spend the big bux taht some of these nice units cost.

so, anyone with out of vent system ozone using experience that can convince me this is a good item to buy for defunking my basement?

or anyone that can point me to a carbon filter that i can put in my system in this order :

Blower(exiting cab)flexi duct:carbon filter:flexi duct: reflector

basically the filter would need to have 2 four or six inch necks for connecting flexi duct to run the air through. havent had much luck finding any that fit this description.

pending feedback i may just fuckin build my own carbon filter, but i'd rather buy one , or buy that ozone machine.... my only concern is getting rid of the stank, and whichever unit does it best is what i want.

thanks guys,

THC

Is ozone an EFFECTIVE way to defunk my growing area IF i use it in the room that my grow box is in, and not actually inside the growbox or it's vent system?
Ozone will be effective IF you use it in the venting process or ducts. I wouldn't recommend using it say on a shelf somewhere in the room you're growing.
I've done it with the air-tiger generator and it's a help but its value is limited and its potential dangers are large.
I simply can't keep it running for the amount needed to keep the stink neutralized.
I ran one NL plant in a basement grow chamber with Ozone running 15 minutes every hour, sometimes variations of 10 minutes every 40 minutes or so...you get the idea. You could smell ozone clearly and it did temporarily relieve the smell, but it didn't remove it. It was a constant issue.
A single NL plant....
I don't vouch for these personally. In conjunction, maybe. I prefer to use it now for when the family gets a nasty cold, to clear the house out of germs... ;)

I truly believe a carbon scrubber is the only way to effectively (and safely) remove odor from small to large grows.
You can mask and you can divert or vent, but carbon is the way to go....
I grow 4-5 flowering plants now in a 400w chamber with a fan and a homemade bucket scrubber. I can't smell a thing.
And a can isn't the only conceivable option for a carbon scrubber....
Necessity in covering odor is more important than aesthetics, in my opinion.
Good luck on your grow and I hope you find a solution to your odor problems.

Eliminating odor with o3

Eliminating odor with o3

I have an Air Tiger ozone generator and it works nicely for my small personal setup(c13-400w). I can tell you what I know simply from my experience.

As you have already heard, ozone is bad for plants and animals and is actually considered a lung irritant. If the o3 generator you're planning on using happens to be rated for the approx size of your dwelling, don't think that it won't be too much. That is exactly what I did and I found that it worked...a little too well.:D

The thing with ozone is, while it does get rid of the smell of sweet cannabis, it also produces it's own unfamiliar odor. It smells much like it does after it rains, but much stronger and slightly different. There's really nothing I can compare it to but if the ozone smell is strong enough it may raise some suspicions itself, even if the people smelling it don't know what ozone smells like.

The trick is to rig your generator to a timer so that you never smell the mj plants but you also barely ever catch a whiff of the o3 it's pumping out. That way there's no suspicious smells at all. 1 hour ON, 1 hour OFF seems to work for my place...but I only have plants in their first week of flower now so that may have to be adjusted. Also, my grow room is locked away from the rest of my dwelling....and inside the room where the cabinet is the o3 smell gets quite intense when it's on.

If you can find a carbon scrubber that fits your specs, I'd recommend that over the ozone. It's just simpler and more effective.

Good luck,

Forty

Last edited:
Well said, Forty.

I find it more of a hassle than it's worth...though it does have uses.

When I clean out the room after a grow completes, I'll use it to nullify any extra odors, in conjunction with a full-on fan daisy chain to an open bulkhead...

It can work, but it needs to be tweaked right...you said it. :)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Cheap Air Filter

Cheap Air Filter

Hey guys, read the International Cannagraphic and see Krypto's article on how to make a super activated charcoal air filter that will solve your odor problems... I believe the whole thing costs 25 dollars US to make for yourself.

This filter is way cool, will work for a variety of uses, and is made from materials you can easily find just about anywhere.

Good Growing,
Payaso
:)

filter xp

Payaso speaks the truth, those buckets are the cheapest, most effective way to eliminate odors that I have found. The thing really works as well as commercial carbon scrubbers that you pay a few hundred dollars for.

If you cant purchase the magazine right now, below is a few links to Kryptos original article as well as another 'improvement' thread.

Original Thread
http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348129

Improvement Thread
http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=411556&highlight=krypto+bucket

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest posts