What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

Creeptic

minds_I said:
Hello all,

It is my understanding that you can sex buy putting the cutting in a 12/12 light cycle-is this still under reduced light???

It would seem that to show sex they must photosynthesize(sp) to produce growth right? If they are under subdued light- I can see why they would root.

Has this been a successfull tool for sexing for you? How did you do it exactly (ie bright light/low light)....

minds_I

worked great for me...

had my clones directly under 46w of CFLs... in 2 weeks 2 of them showed sex... a week later the other two did... 2 males 2 females...:

female

male

female

male

Last edited:
G

I have 2 cuts of Mendicino madness in a glass of water on a window sill.I took them off an outdoor plant that was stil in Veg.Ive done this before and it works good,just a little slow but works,i just change the water everyday and make sure light dont get to the roots.For sex on a seed plant, i have cut a little branch/clone size off and grabbed a zip lock and misted it up good and take a wet paper towel and wrap it around the bottom of the stem,then i put it in the ZL and take it in my flowering room and set it to the side/not under direct light and after a while it will show,a little hair or whatever,you have to look good to find it early.I just did this for the first time with a BlockHead plant(just one to see whats up)and it worked,first one is a Fem :woohoo: . Peace and stay safe,DancesWithWeed :wave:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Creeptic, man you can barely tell from that first pic- I think I would have waited a day or two on her to be sure.

I have 2 Sadhu and 2 KC33xKush vegging now. I put cutting from each into the flower chamber in a cup of water floating on a neoprene disk.

They have been there a week ago yesterday. They look good-healthy green (although Ihave yet to go out the cab tonight), I have no worries- they may even root and if soo- I can put them in a 3 liter soda bottle and stick them in the corners were they will fit. Being small as they are-it could be worth it.

I will let you know.

minds_I

PS:

FMD, are you local to the Triangle? Mendocino Madness- I am familiar with Mendocino Gooey.

Last edited:

Teadaemon

Just in time

Just in time

I was planning to take some clones today from my two Cal. Orange Bud that're just starting to flower. Up until I read this thread I was going to do them in perlite with a water reservoir and wick, but I think I might have to give this method a go.

Thanks for sharing.

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Used this method last year..mine coffee mug, yogurt lid, small airstone..cause I had it..
For root cloning, weak light is the key ..like Cap said .."keep them in stasis"
For sex clones..just throw it in the corner of the flower room..you'll get your answer before she is done..
You can use Hormex or a cut flower formula if you think the plant might need more time..
Too much light she may eat herself before she makes it..just decent light for the sex clones..so they attempt to grow a little and mature..

So If you notice..no leaves are cut..in perfectly good shape..time is the main con of water clones..looking at maybe 3 weeks for good roots..
I think this was a 2 weeker..a foot away from a 18w 4100k T5 fluoro :wave:

BubbleDust Water Clone

Good Roots

LST'ed her a little

It was worth it in the end

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I put some cuts into the flower chamber on the 21st, Tonight, they have 1/4" roots. And one out of the four is showing male (drag). But, my point is that plain water works.

I intend to plant he cuts and stick them in a corner and see what happens- maybe I will get a nice nug out of them.

Besides, its two weeks till the host plants go to 12/12-its nice to know how many ahead of time.

minds_I

Teadaemon

Thanks to the original poster and everyone who's commented.

I took eight cuttings from two plants that've been showing female flowers for a week or two (from the very first preflowers) yesterday, my first ever attempt at cloning.

I've got them in the bottom half of two 2 litre PET bottles using the floated styrofoam technique, in my veg cab (~50W CF) and they're not dead yet (ever the optimist, aren't I?)

G

i just got roots of a clone in plain water in a cup near the window!!! patience is all that you need..stay safe.

minds_I

Veteran
Yup- patience-if the temps are right- I think its just slightly slower then bubble cloner (which I have) and just to easy if you set it up so that you dont have the mess with the water (floating disk).

Anyway, very effective to be sure.

I wonder what effect putting a cut on a floating disk and put in the aquarium?

Probably fry them from the nitrogen.

minds_I

minds_I

Teadaemon

minds_I said:
I wonder what effect putting a cut on a floating disk and put in the aquarium?

I had a quick look, 'cos I was sure it was this thread, but it's not - somewhere on here recently I've seen photographic evidence of somebody rooting cuttings (admittedly fairly large ones) in their goldfish bowl. Admittedly they'd already got some plants on the top of it with their roots in the water, so I imagine they'd taken a lot of care to maintain acceptable water quality for all the inhabitants (piscine and vegetable).

Hell if you've got the aquarium and a spare cutting or two it'd be a good experiment.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello,

Well there in lies the problem as I have 13 yo twins and my MJ use is still-I emphesize still, a mystery to them.So, it would be hard to explain why daddy has a plant sticking out hte top of the aquaium.

I don't know how much of an improvement on rooting it might be, but I know htat sometimes the N gets to high in my sweet wifes fish tanks.

minds_I
minds_I

Teadaemon

minds_I said:
Well there in lies the problem as I have 13 yo twins and my MJ use is still - I emphasize still, a mystery to them. So, it would be hard to explain why daddy has a plant sticking out the top of the aquarium.

Fair point, I'd try it myself but I don't have an aquarium (I've got a cat and I think it's unfair on him and the fish to keep both of them in the same house).

Teadaemon

First signs of success

First signs of success

Well I thought I'd better post again as I've taken a look at my first ever set of cuttings that've now been sat in plain tapwater in my veg cab for approximately 72 hours.

One of them (the largest one from the more vigorous of the two plants I'm cloning) has three or four tiny white nubs that I'd be prepared to bet are the beginnings of roots. So far all of them are still looking healthy (or at least as healthy as when they were taken). Overall, I'm beginning to be impressed with this method of cloning, and unless things change drastically for the worse I don't think I'll bother trying any other method. :cool:

page1

hey, i realy like how easy this method is, but i was just wondering, do you think it would speed up root growth if a rooting hormone powder was added to the water?

Teadaemon

page1 said:
hey, i realy like how easy this method is, but i was just wondering, do you think it would speed up root growth if a rooting hormone powder was added to the water?

I'm not sure it'd make that much difference, at 5 days all of my clones have plenty of roots beginning to form (albeit tiny white nubs at the moment) and are only just beginning to look a little hungry - I'm just using plain water. Next time I may use honey on some of them (I believe that's a suggestion somewhere on here) and see if it makes a difference, though I'd be surprised if it was more than a day or so.

Actually, while I'm here, I've noticed that one of the two plants has distinctly more vigorous roots than the other, probably 24 hours or so ahead of the other. It's also the smaller and less vigorous mother plant, which I wasn't expecting. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how all the clones come out, I'm leaving them over the weekend so with any luck I'll have a big change to come back to. :cool:

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Hey page1 it may or may not help..I know Cap the one who started this thread liked the idea of cloning without using hormones..
that was one of the reasons he liked water clones..it is pure natural and simple..
I used a little SuperThrive on the first cup..but just water the rest of the time..I also used air..because I had an available hose nearby..
The clone really took off after it got roots..sometimes with hormones you get roots faster but not necessarily get vigorous growth afterwards..
because there is so much presense of rooting hormone..it can take a while for the above ground plant tissue to take off..
I have that going on right now..the stem is getting fat as hell near the bottom..but the plant has hardly grown in a week..
I flushed them yesterday..but hormones tend to linger..I hope I get a rebound effect soon..I added beneficial bacteria & fungus and a colonizer to make that happen hopefully :confused:

Mampi

excellent thread old or not the info is still pertinent and very well constructed! Should make it a sticky!

Damn I love simplicity :joint: off to give it a whirl right now... pics to follow :)

G

Cap you are the man. I have not seen many how-to's that are as well written as this is. On top of that, your LST tutorial increased my yield by over 90%. Thank you Cap for your work and your wisdom.

guerilla

HydroManiac

Where can I find that LST tutorial guerilla1018 was talking about? And also can I use this method to just preserve a clone which has roots already?

HM