What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Highest extraction yeild

1labs

I was woundering what is the highest extraction yeilds anyone has seem and what sort of equipment and machines did they use.
Thanks

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m interested as well.
Just out of curiosity more n anything.

Quality over quantity, using the equipment I have now, is the ultimate goal.

justintime420

Using the mkiv and a 2lb column Hit 25% yields of dewaxed decent quality 80-90% thc extracts usually will be from properly ground up or machine nugs (taking out all the bad stuff before using the machine) or using kief

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Around 25% using BHO or sub zero ethanol.

Caribbean Smoke

We are currently running experiments in our lab to try to figure out how to optimize yield. We have noticed that soaking the material twice in butane/propane (Precision PX1) and not packing the columns too tightly gives us the best result.

However, we still see a lot of variability in yield when we convert BHO to distillate. We have a tried a few different short-path setups (monocow, three-port receivers, various boiling flasks). This is very frustrating. Our baseline assumptions are 50gm per pound of raw (not trimmed) flower, or 11% distillate yield.

Our process is BHO -> Degum (Citric Acid) -> Winterize -> RotoVap -> Short-path.

We are thinking of switching the Short-path to DCVC precisely because of the yield variability, but are just beginning to try this technique. For what it's worth, our observations are that the boiling flask of the SP should be run with the most amount of material possible. For example, we get better yields (as a %) when we fill a 5L boiling flask with 1,800gm BHO than with 300gm.

Can anyone with experience in DCVC tell me if the BHO -> Distillate yield is better or at least more consistent? Any critique on our process to help optimize yield?

Gray Wolf: I would like to have an email conversation with you about techniques if that is possible. Thank you.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW it was BHO only a couple times got that high of a yield

Depending on strain, we typically see between about 18% to 22% using subzero techniques, but have seen 25% and heard of higher, just never personally seen one.

The next question of course becomes how much of it was target C-10/22 elements and how much non target such as C-20/34 plant fatty acids/waxes, C-40 beta Carotene, and C-55 Chlorophyll and Pheophytin.

Caribbean Smoke

My highest yield of all time was on some Reservoir Seeds 4SD, 23.5% (pure propane)

Was that the PHO yield? What was the % purity of the PHO?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of flower (raw or trimmed nugs)? And what technique did you use to break up the flower (hand, food processor, etc.)?

Thanks.

dybert

Was that the PHO yield? What was the % purity of the PHO?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of flower (raw or trimmed nugs)? And what technique did you use to break up the flower (hand, food processor, etc.)?

Thanks.

Super Super fire hand broken up/trimmed nugs. Best of the best, one of my best runs to date.

I don't have test results on the oil from said run, it all went to the head stash... lol

1labs

I am seeing alot of people posting around 25% yeild. Im assuming that is your crude weight before you guys distill it via SPD for example am i correct in saying this

gumby420

correct the 25% returns is a bho run that would most likely be for dabbing, not turning into distillate. I doubt people would be getting such high yields with food grade/distillate grade material. unless they were running nugs/high quality trim, which I would doubt.

justintime420

GW you are correct with that next question when extracting for yield also wonder how much of the non targeted will have a higher been extracted and 1labs yes definitely was a pre distillation weight but it was not food grade quality lol

1labs

Thanks everyone as well as GW.
I love this forum so many people here always helping one another for an end collective goal.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am seeing alot of people posting around 25% yeild. Im assuming that is your crude weight before you guys distill it via SPD for example am i correct in saying this

Raw extract prior to winterization or short path.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was woundering what is the highest extraction yeilds anyone has seem and what sort of equipment and machines did they use.
Thanks

Below are some results using the Mason jar quick soak method.

A sealed quart Mason jar along with a couple of cans of butane are placed in the freezer overnight.

The nuggs are ground in a herb grinder or at least fully broken up so they have less volume requiring less butane to soak them.

A Mason jar lid with a hole in the middle for injection, and some holes to allow excess butane vapor/air to escape is placed on the jar.

Liquid butane is injected into the jar. If doing a single soak it takes about a single 300ml can to an ounce of herb. I do multiple five minute soaks, one right after another. The first soak is with a little over half a can per ounce (I measure using the volume markings on the side of the jar - this takes some experience or you can use a small scale.) Once the herb is wet from the first soak, you can easily soak with only half a can during the ensuing soaks. Two soaks is enough, three soaks, (which I do) gets nearly all of the cannabinoids, and four soaks is a waste of time, and you get more 'mystery oil' (non-volatile residue) in the final product.

The herb is dumped into the liquid butane in the jar, and filter paper is placed over the top and secured with the Mason jar sealing ring. Two standard coffee filters per soak works fine, I use a single round sheet of 18cm 2.5 micron lab filter paper per soak. You need to very carefully screw the ring on straight to get a liquid tight seal, but keep in mind you've got to be able to unscrew it when it's wet and sticky.

After securing the filter paper, the jar is swished around, the butane will climb the walls and soak everything thoroughly. After five minutes of on and off swishing, the jar is inverted over an evaporation dish. Be sure the filter paper is completely wetted so the vapor pressure in the jar forces the liquid butane/oil out.

The sealing ring is removed while holding the filter paper in place with your other hand, and the filter paper is carefully pushed down into the jar.

The lid with the holes is again used to inject more butane for the next soak, and then the process is repeated. With vigorous swishing all the pieces of filter paper pushed down into the jar will be washed with liquid butane.

Never seal butane in a Mason jar, neither the sealing ring or the glass can take the pressure.

Sorry for the long description, they took down the original video of how to do a Mason jar soak at YouTube.

I vacuum purge the result in a thin film at about 115F and down to -29.5" Hg just until the bubbling slows to a crawl.

The nuggs mentioned are commercial SoCal MMJ.

Sour Tangie
$99/oz
42.0g nuggs
41.2g ground
8.2g product
19.5% return (using the nuggs weight)
19.9% return (if figured with the ground weight)
$18.29/g

Original Glue
$150/oz
28.4g nuggs
6.0g product
21% return
$25/g

Lil Dragon
$300/oz
27.9g nuggs
27.3g ground
9.90g product
35.48% return (nuggs)
36.26% return (ground)
$30/g

Sage N Sour (27.13% total cannabinoids - SCLabs)
$280/oz
28.17g nuggs
27.3g ground
8.81g product
31.27% return (nuggs)
32.27% return (ground)
$32/g

Paris OG
$150/oz
28.3g nuggs
27.4g ground
7.3g product
26.01% return (nuggs)
26.86% return (ground)
$21/g

Super Lemon Diesel (20.18% total cannabinoids - don't know the name of the lab that tested it)
$99/oz
42.0g nuggs
41.6g ground
7.40g product
17.62% return (nuggs)
17.79% return (ground)
$21/g

Sour Diesel (22% total cannabinoids - don't know the name of the lab that tested it)
$99/oz
38.96g nuggs
38.1g ground
9.18g product
23.56% return (nuggs)
24.09% return (ground)
$17/g

Orange Dynamite (20.98% total cannabinoids - SCLabs)
$99/oz
27.8g nuggs
27.1g ground
4.02g product
14.8% return (ground)
$25/g

God Father OG (18.63% total cannabinoids - SCLabs)
$99/oz
26.8g ground
3.55g product
13.25% return
$28/g

Pre '91 Sweet Kush (16.58% total cannabinoids - SCLabs)
$99/oz
28.0g nuggs
26.4g ground (lot of seeds and stems removed)
5.17g product
18.46% (nuggs)
19.58% (ground)
$19/g

Gogi OG (24.36% total cannabinoids - SCLabs)
$220/oz
56.3g nuggs
54.8g ground
14.04g product
24.94% return (nuggs)
25.62% return (ground)
$32/g

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks

I've got within range of 30% on good quality semi-untrimmed bud making RSO style oil with ethanol as the solvent, but percentage yield on any extraction has more to do with what the input materials are. Good lab equipment definitely helps you kick up the numbers on whatever you're doing for sure, but because everyone is extracting different things and trying to make different products comparing raw return numbers doesn't always make sense.
I've got near 50% extracting really nice bubble hash at room temp in ethanol, that doesn't necessarily mean that room temp ethanol is the most thorough extraction method.
Both of my big number results I quoted had a higher than average particulate counts because I only use coffee filters, but that only adds to the apparent return rate.
One time I had a few pounds of trim and I sifted about 40g of kief out of each pound of trim. I got about 10-15g of oil from each 40g of kief and it was pretty good oil too regardless the originating trashy source material. Was I getting 10g-15g out of a pound or out of 40g?

Latest posts

Latest posts