What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Winterizing after an RSO extraction?

I'm wondering if this process makes sense. Looking for some input.

Start by taking your material and do a conventional RSO extraction using ethanol as the solvent, to be safe.

After the filtration step, instead of distilling the ethanol out, take and put it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Some additional ethanol may need to be added up to a maximum of 10/1.

Vacuum the frozen slurry with a Büchner funnel to remove the fats, lipids and any remaining plant matter.

Rotovac/distill the solution to remove (most of) the ethanol. Test result by dipping paper clip into solution and lighting with a match. If it sparks, let the solution sit in an open dish to evaporate fully. Repeat frame test.

Final result is then safe for direct injection into vape cartridges and about as pure as one can get.

Comments, suggestions.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm wondering if this process makes sense. Looking for some input.

Start by taking your material and do a conventional RSO extraction using ethanol as the solvent, to be safe.

After the filtration step, instead of distilling the ethanol out, take and put it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Some additional ethanol may need to be added up to a maximum of 10/1.

Vacuum the frozen slurry with a Büchner funnel to remove the fats, lipids and any remaining plant matter.

Rotovac/distill the solution to remove (most of) the ethanol. Test result by dipping paper clip into solution and lighting with a match. If it sparks, let the solution sit in an open dish to evaporate fully. Repeat frame test.

Final result is then safe for direct injection into vape cartridges and about as pure as one can get.

Comments, suggestions.

OK up to the flame test. If you votavap untill the large bubbles cease, leaving only fizzy CO2 bubbles, you should be safe for injection into vape carts, ASSuming the cart is designed for concentrate as opposed to a tincture.

hash head

RSO is meant for eating.. dont know why you would put it in a vape cartridge with all that extra clorophyll.. THC should be distilled off and purified if any alcohol based extract is to be vaped..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RSO is meant for eating.. dont know why you would put it in a vape cartridge with all that extra clorophyll.. THC should be distilled off and purified if any alcohol based extract is to be vaped..

Define RSO. Lots of different versions out besides his original soxhleting in naphtha, including soxhleting in alcohol, but the thing they have in common is their attempts at a full plant extract.

It is absolutely true that it is a poor choice for vaporization due to harshness, and when extracted with alcohol the high chlorophyll even gives some folks severe gastric distress when eaten.

The question was does the process make sense, not the idea.

Some folks are sure that full extract is best for medical reasons, and I'm not here to debate it with them, just help them find out for themselves.

MzGrowItAll

Define RSO. Lots of different versions out besides his original soxhleting in naphtha, including soxhleting in alcohol, but the thing they have in common is their attempts at a full plant extract.

It is absolutely true that it is a poor choice for vaporization due to harshness, and when extracted with alcohol the high chlorophyll even gives some folks severe gastric distress when eaten.

The question was does the process make sense, not the idea.

Some folks are sure that full extract is best for medical reasons, and I'm not here to debate it with them, just help them find out for themselves.

I am one of those peeps. Not by personal choice as much as that is what my body responds better to. I have been dabbling since I picked up the book "Grow your own stone" back in the early 80's.

I have a variety of colours on my shelf of oils, pretty reds and honey ambers to dark crude. With all of my wonderful choices, irony has it that my body responds better to the whole plant crude better than the high quality stuff. I find myself giving out my top shelf stuff and keep the crude as personal.

I dont know why, but I do know my body calls the shots where things like that are concerned.

axle2u

tell me more about the pretty reds you made.....please
lol...I wanna make a red oil to smoke....

axle robot

Latest posts

Latest posts