Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Orient Express & more from the Buddhist Arc

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
Orient Express & more from the Buddhist Arc Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 09:39 PM #31
Satyros

Satyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really nice
Since the demise of the pollen, I decided to sacrifice some lower branches, to conserve energy for the rest of the plant. I left them on Kiss Dragon, since those are slightly bulky; but, as mentioned, there is not really any interior budding on this plant. Especially compared to Orient Express and Himalayan Gold--those seem particularly generous in covering their branches with bloom.

Mekong High is pretty frosty at this point. Orient Express is a bit on the slow side of trichome explosion--it may be producing the greatest quantity of flower clusters, as a trade for going slow in development. The feminized version would probably behave a little differently; at any rate, this one conformed to expectations--a couple weeks' delay compared to its contemporaries, both in terms of hitting a vegetative boost, and then on the trichomes. So it's no speed demon unless compared to a true equatorial sativa.

I have a feeling that the faster developing kinds are on their way to a final feeding and then just some water until they are finished. If counted as flowering (emergent pistils) around 8/26, then I guess they are about six weeks into it, and none of those are ones I'd attempt to carry until a heavily-ripened stage of substantially darkened trichs. Edelweiss maybe should go that way, but since it's developing the fastest, then it shouldn't take much longer. It just...I don't know...might crank out 1/8th or something actually useful...I can't quite call it a "runt" since it was the first thing that popped, but, considering it was grown in the same conditions as everything else and never had any problems, I really don't know why it's so small. With my luck, that implies that it will be the absolute bestest and most favorite one of them all.

I've experienced enough sativa to at least recognize the creeper/soaring/psychological sort of effect, and I gather the thing to watch for is swollen, milky trichomes. Now as far as a 50/50 hybrid--something that has that effect plus a noticeable body stone--I kind of have doubts if there is truly such a thing; or, to the extent I have experienced it, the things that can do it, seem to have been less potent than things that are firmly on one side or the other. Kiss Dragon is the attempt to be that bridge (I think). Whereas Himalayan Gold should lean towards indica and Nemesis should be towards sativa, in terms of effect, even though they would be considered 50/50 in terms of their parents.

Although I've done a bunch of bagseed runs that gave plenty of yield of a mostly couchlock nature, usually by this point, there were a lot of burned leaf tips, and, because indoors, spider mites. These are all still quite free of those issues, and, I also noticed that when a bagseed plant sheds a leaf, it just takes one light touch and they drop. However, on these plants, yellow leaves stick to the plant as well as green ones for many days. They have all been superior in every way, and zero of the "oh no what's wrong" problems that could be difficult or time-consuming to repair.

The worst aspect of the grow is that there is only one level row. Some of the plants grew on a slight slope, so they're not exactly vertical. Once a few older ones are harvested, then with some free space, I could rig some stuff to keep them from flopping over if need be.
Satyros is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 PM #32
Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud of
That's a great journal!Your narrative skills (and stories)make up for the lack of pictures!Damn,it'd be nice to have a smoke with Mille
Orient Express is probably my favourite strain!Hope you'll like it,really exceptional effect.
Greetings from the land of Satyros
Syd Barrett is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 AM #33
Satyros

Satyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really niceSatyros is just really nice
Ah, Orient Express, a favorite? Any particular reasons? After buying it, and reading more about what Ace has, some of their stuff like Malawi and Panama also sounds great. The reasons I'm not in a huge rush to try those, are, the outdoor situation...sure it's better here than in the Netherlands, but it's still a far cry from the equator, so they might not work. Also, those kinds of things seem to frequently be credited with edginess/raciness, while Orient Express is not.

I had no idea that my friends got on the bus with Kreator; found out about it a few days later. But it was some really good NY seedless skunk. On that note, I also cannot say I ever experienced anything with the scent of diesel or any kind of fuel. That actually sounds a bit unappetizing. I'd probably try burning it, but would be less resolute about raising a plant for a few months based on that.

Some of the only famous people I ever met were Tom and Martin from Celtic Frost, but that's just because they did a meet and greet, wasn't a free invitation from having a bag of smoke. And since that was 2007-ish, it's probably safe to say there was potent cannabis all over Europe, and nobody would be easily impressed by whatever Americans had.

It's probably fun to be trendy with the pictures, but I think I will just wait to do some profiles and top down views as I bring stuff inside to chop. Looking at the Edelweiss today, it has zero extended pistils, they are all withered down, so it's nearly done.

Maybe on that one I will just do close-ups so it looks bigger than it really is...
Satyros is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 AM #34
Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud ofSyd Barrett has much to be proud of
Hehe,Tom and Martin,looks like you must have been in awesome concerts I can only dream of...

The effect depends on the pheno,but is similar.Potent but not racy."different than usual" high you will get what I'm saying when you try it,one of a kind.Can make you feel very happy or balanced depending on the mood.It is an all-day smoke to me,it is great before bed,too.Very clear high with mellow comedown.The taste/aroma is also unique.Great yielder.I will have to buy the regular version to make some f2 s and crosses,love that herb.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 AM #35
Satyros

Lol, right now I have a black eye from someone's skull at the Venom show (Mantas version). Through the years, I have made it to a fair number of shows, but never very often and usually inconvenient. It's hard to imagine ever stopping, about the same as weed.

Nice praise for the OE. I don't know the phenos very well, but, the regular seed is supposed to be more sativa, and to all appearances, it's the most sativa-looking of all these plants. Really looking forward to trying it now; if it's slow to ripen, sounds worth it.
Satyros is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 AM #36
Syd Barrett

Hehe...I've had a black eye from a skull in a motorhead concert in1998 tour in Athens.
My last metal concert was the 'big 4' about 5 years ago...It was great but i was disappointed they didn't have alice in chains with them in my country.My best metal gig ever must have been Trouble i think...

Yes,it will be great,vietnam black dominants have the clearest happy effect.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:44 PM #37
Satyros

Ah yeah, Trouble is a really old band, from what I recall, one of the first to go into the doomy sludge sound, maybe along with St. Vitus. Hadn't heard of them being known for a spectacular show, so that's interesting.

In terms of development, the first plants, Kiss Dragon, Edelweiss, Sexbud, and Mekong High have yellowed over pretty much all their fan leaves, so they must be nearing the end. However, the Orient Express of the same age, is still very green. So, I can't speak as to the feminized version, but the regular seems to be the closest one to a traditional, long flowering sativa. I've seen a couple debates about the Mekong High, the breeder claims it to be on the faster side, some growers said theirs needed longer than the claim.

The Mekong buds are a bit fatter, a little bit indica style. OE still has that long look, but even if they don't plump up very much, it's so prolific, it might give the biggest yield. I think that would be worth an additional two or three weeks. The plants are basically dictating the terms of their ripening--nothing I can really do to prolong the finishers, or accelerate the OE. Final feeding and "flush" on those first four seems to be in order...not that you really flush organics, just that once those leaves are gone, the plant can only thrive as bud stalks for a limited time.

I'd have to guess that a regular Orient Express seed is very, very close to a Vietnam Black landrace, and that if planted earlier in the season, it would have gotten even bigger. The two main tops on this one are approaching the largest, forearm-sized single cola that I ever created. The difference is I made that first one intentionally, versus all this stuff is what the plants normally do on their own.
Satyros is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 PM #38
Satyros

Race to the finish--

Some of these plants don't participate in a race. Orient Express is really just now starting to load with trichomes--although that includes the 6", one bud plant that was bitten in half.

As for the faster ones, starting week 7 of flowering, if counted from when the pistils emerged. I think the Sexbud literally ripens the fastest. I scoped it, and it showed about 10% amber. I decided to test its smallest bud, because we don't want this one inducing lethargy, or resembling indica.

It had no lethargy, and it was a fairly unique buzz in my experience. Pleasant, calm, anti-anxiety, somewhat along the lines of sub-lingual vitamin B. I'll guess that 1-2 weeks can get it a little stronger, but any longer would probably risk changing its character.

The fast developing indica hybrids, Edelweiss and Kiss Dragon, still *don't* have any amber, which they probably need. Kiss Dragon should come out as a 50/50, whereas Edelweiss should feel about 80% indica. There isn't enough Edelweiss to test it, so we'll have to do a visual guess on that one. Kiss Dragon might offer a test bud, plus, it has a second backup plant. On those younger, single-stalk plants, Kiss Dragon and Nemesis are both squeezing out about the same amount of bud. The difference being Nemesis is very compact, and Kiss Dragon stretched almost twice as tall--if I made a gif of their alternating pictures, it would look like a bouncing slinky of weed.

Even the Afghan starts making narrow leaves around its new flowers. I don't think it could actually be watered by rain, which is coming soon for the first time in like a month. Never having flowered outdoors before, I've browsed around to see what rain can do to the flowers. Light rain...pretty much nothing, makes sense. A lot of times, it's said, don't worry, THC is not water-soluble. This seems irrelevant? The issue would be whether there is enough physical punishment to burst the glands. If so, then your THC wouldn't dissolve, it would stick the the plant and start degrading.

Frequently, our rains are somewhat violent storm fronts. It doesn't usually last very long, but it usually blows in on a fairly hefty wind and pours pretty hard. That gives me about 48 hours to evaluate whether this stuff needs protection.

If it doesn't get creamed...so far I can't criticize the flowering at all. I haven't found any "nanners", and I haven't seen any of those weird blunt/rounded leaves, both of which were pretty typical of indoor bagseed. Overall, it mostly looks like an inverse proportion of the amount of yield vs. the speed of ripening.
Satyros is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 AM #39
Satyros

So far, the rain was just showers. Probably nothing damaging. However, in terms of, can the water weigh something down and make it bend...yes, only the Orient Express. So much for the two...it's more like four of the largest colas I ever made. That one will certainly be on the upper side of yield; Himalayan Gold and Afghan might pursue it, but they aren't there yet. Mekong High buds are a little fatter, but they don't quite cover the stalks to the same extent as Orient Express.

Stronger storms are in the forecast for the next couple of days; I'm still not sure whether to take evasive action. A clever, experienced person could probably propose a limit for wind speed & doppler intensity of rain that can threaten cannabis.

I did try a test of the lowest branches of Kiss Dragon, and, it seemed like a more "familiar" buzz than Sexbud, but it also said "give me a couple more weeks before I'm ready". This is about the beginning of week 7 for the first wave of plants. The temptation of scarfing little stuff is, admittedly, strong. You only get a premature sneak peek, but it eliminates the plant sending energy to newer or lesser growth, and it will have to go to the tops. So no-touchy the pinecones, but a little more popcorn might be on the fast track to our bloodstreams.

As an avid flower smoker, that does have its merits over the time/money to scoop up someone else's commercial product.
Satyros is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 AM #40
Syd Barrett

Nice to hear OE is bulking up!
I don't fulfill the requirements to suggest a wind speed limit ,but I'm sure you know you'd better have them staked and it would certainly help to cover them.
I have already prematurely harvested half a plant so I would have something to smoke and not mess around with commercial.And it is better(at least in my opinion) than the commercial there is around at this time(albanian brickweed)...