What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Asme stainless steel pressure vessel requirements

hewy

What up icmag. Wanted to start a thread on asme code and requirements to meet approval in the legal states. I'll be researching and posting links to illustrate exactly what's needed. I.e. Wall thickness of jacketed and non jacketed spoils the sizing of the triclamp allowed, recovery tank size and thickness. These are just a few things to start and if anyone else has any prior knowledge or links and are willing to share please do.👍

axle2u

part of asme code as I remember back in early 80s,

required a min. 10% xray of all welded joints on pressure vessels
to be licensed to operate (licensed boilers)....

asme boiler code is the shit,
to weld open root weld joints (pipe)....xray quality is the crème du la crème of welding

out of 100 welders, maybe 5 can weld xray quality
high skill sets required...

and yes, they actually do xray on site...
if you get repairs, youre fired.....lol

axle

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ASME Section VIII covers any vessel under more than one atmosphere (14.7 psi) operating pressure. Six inch and below is considered pressure piping and above six inch a pressure vessel.

LPG piping must meet 350 psi, and pressure vessels 3X the highest operating pressure it will see.

NFPA-58 also comes into play when discussing LPG usage.

The plumbing and wrappers typically easily meet those requirements, leaving the critical elements the lids and clamps. An exception to that rule is that LPG piping tubing has minimum wall thicknesses, due to the possibility of an extrusion defect in thin walls. For instance, 1/2" stainless tubing must have a minimum wall thickness of .049", even though the standard .035 wall tubing is rated over 3000 psi.

A six inch 13-MHP clamp is rated at 300 psi, so an SSH or ASME clamp is required to meet the 350 psi requirement.

12" is the largest ASME clamp that I've been able to certify at 3X maximum operating pressure, because of the possibility of losing power and the system rising to ambient temperature.

12" lids also start to bow seriously above 100psi. While I was able to certify a standard flat lid in WA, for my multi state certification, I had to have a pressure vessel made with hemispherical lid, so that it didn't distort at higher pressure, and have the vessel built by a certified ASME pressure vessel manufacturer, with a certification placard attached to the pressure vessel.

I had to also supply the inspectors with ASME quality prints detailing the weld joint designs, filler material, and weld procedure used.