Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Is there a method of "reduction" of oil like there is for Ethanol?

Thread Title Search
Is there a method of "reduction" of oil like there is for Ethanol? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2018, 07:38 PM #21
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Question:

My new centrifuge should be here this week and I have a question. How can I test the separated coconut oil for potency?

I ASSume after a spin in the centrifuge, something will separate. Not sure what but, probably something.

I can do Thin Layer Chromatography and easier, I can do the Beam and Duquenois-Levine Reagent tests but I have found that cooking oils mess with those tests and often things come out less than accurate.

Anyone know a good way to test the separated material after the spin?

Unfortunately, with my tolerance issues, simply 'trying' it is not an option. Plus, I will be spinning tiny amounts so I will need some method to determine which half (if either) is stronger than the other.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2018, 07:46 PM #22
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
oil doesn't evaporate like a solvent would... if its not strong enough steep more flowers in the oil
MrBungle is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 AM #23
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond repute
What about the other end of the temperature spectrum ...

If you let it sit in a freezer, do you get a kind of separation that allows you to pick out the pieces that you like ?

If you live near a college, maybe the chem department could be helpful.

There have got to be compounds that help you control the mixture of your Cannabis oil.

Plus they have lots of tools. Maybe some stoner professor can turn this into a class project.

The oil sounds like it would be good for tooth pain.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 PM #24
robotwithdreams

robotwithdreams is a jewel in the roughrobotwithdreams is a jewel in the roughrobotwithdreams is a jewel in the roughrobotwithdreams is a jewel in the roughrobotwithdreams is a jewel in the roughrobotwithdreams is a jewel in the rough
Maybe easier to make rosin , decarb, and addoil. Thats how i make my olive oil based tincture. Completely solvent free. Half an ounce of flowers worth of goodies in a tiny 30 ml bottle.
robotwithdreams is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:28 PM #25
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
oil doesn't evaporate like a solvent would... if its not strong enough steep more flowers in the oil

Duh, I never considered that. LOL I suppose at some point the oil will reach it's maximum saturation but I could try a second or third extraction with the same oil and new pot each time.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 PM #26
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Did you decarb the oil after you extracted into it?
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM #27
Ringodoggie

I decarb'd the weed before I extracted.