What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch Treat Heritage Speculation

MadR1

Yup, stuck on a new strain. I read the heritage of this one is an Amsterdam secret?

O.k., first what does it taste like to me. Exactly like some round lemon/butterscotch candies?, my grandmother used to give me that each came in its own wrapper. I do not know the brand of those.

Anyhow... I am not claiming to have any real knowledge of the "secret", just a very sophisticated sense of taste, dispite my almost none present sense of smell.

To me Dutch Treat tasts like it could be...

(Headband X (Silver Haze) ) X (Headband X (Sour D))

Now, I'm hoping that all you experts on here who have grown any of the strains mentioned above will chime in on why that it complete bs, or maybe remotely possible...

This brings me to a breeding point I've been wanting to make for a while.

A long time ago I read a small genetics book on corn breeding. It said that many corn breeders would follow a similar simple breeding pattern to get more "Hybrid-Vigor" having plants, with the qualities they were seeking in taste and structure...

(Sweet Corn 1 X Big Corn) X (Sweet Corn 1 X Some Other Big Corn)... something like that.

I specualte that a large number of my favorite strains over the years have been created with a similar breeding pattern.

Kish? (Shishkaberry X something) X (Shishkaberry X somethign else)?

I had one recently that I thought was (Blueberry Headband Diesel X Blue Dream). Same thing, right? Two different blueberry haze crosses?

Maybe one of the plants that needs to be on both sides has to be stabilizeed for this to work well?

Anyhow, if anyone else knows of other strains with a similar pattern that I should try.

And also, if such a pattern actually does create more sucessfull "great" offspring, I wish more people would chuck pollen instead of just growing clones!

I'm dreaming of possibilites... (Purps X GSC) X (Urkle X GSC)... Yup, I love Indica's and purple meds.

Peace!

Highcountry

I've grow east island seeds Dutch great outdoors in southern BC. Finishes too early to have ssh, headband or sour d in its genetics. Unless I'm talking about a different Dutch treat than you are? Also kish is shiskaberry. Not crossed with anything. I believe the rumour behind it is that cash crop ken stole a shipment of seeds from breeder Steve of spice of life when ken worked for Marc emery. Cheers

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Dutch treat I figure is a Cali O x NL. Has an orange flavor and is a quick finisher. Its been around longer than headband that's for sure.

Brelva

I can tell you for sure there is no headband or diesel of any kind in dutch treat. I mean that's just obvious.

To me it's in the range of jack herer. maybe then backcrossed to nl or outcrossed to white widow or something along those lines. Who knows.

highsteppa

Veteran
I've grow east island seeds Dutch great outdoors in southern BC. Finishes too early to have ssh, headband or sour d in its genetics.

How's she do for you as far s quality and finish times? Are there keeper phenotypes? I've read somewhere online theres some good ones to be had.

Highcountry

How's she do for you as far s quality and finish times? Are there keeper phenotypes? I've read somewhere online theres some good ones to be had.

The quality was really good. I was quite suprised. Frosty, tasty, good potency too. My favourite female had a 7up smell and flavour. They finished late September early October 3400 ft up in the mountains at 50 north latitude. No mould. I'd recommend this strain. Would be quite a bit earlier too at a lower elevation and latitude.

rykus

Dutch treat is older than Jack even... Was in the first emery pamphlets I got in '94 and if I remember was prized for its early finish in the 80's in Amsterdam.... Can't remember any heritage but it is very old and early Amsterdam genes.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of timewarp and afghan creation on the island. Send leaves or seeds to Skunkman to have him test the dna.

Brelva

Dutch treat is older than Jack even... Was in the first emery pamphlets I got in '94 and if I remember was prized for its early finish in the 80's in Amsterdam.... Can't remember any heritage but it is very old and early Amsterdam genes.

Man it really is an oldie haha, didn't realize it went back that far. What I meant by it being in the range of Jack is it has that sweet candy citrus flavor that a lot of the commercial cuts of jack have that are almost entirely skunk/nl selections as opposed to the hazy jack cuts.

MadR1

Great! Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I was way off. Ha ha! Here I was thinking I had it all figured out.

Taste is pretty subjective... Yeah, I get the candied orange flavor...

The flowers I am smoking now are nearly identical in structure and texture to some Silver Haze I had about 5 years ago in LA, though different in color. When I looked it up on google, the plants looked a lot like some Silver Haze I saw growing back then as well. These are my main reasons for my interpretation.

The taste also reminds me a lot of OG Kush, but instead of a rounded out funky lemon bottom end, that part of the mix tasts more like Sour D to me.

Hmmm...

I've read other posts where people try to figure out a breeding program to reverse engineer OG Kush in a seed form.

This was also part of my interpretation...

(SomethingChemDawg X Something) X (SomethingChemDawg X Something Else)

A way to get Chem Dawg to mate with itself "more naturally", but still end up with different OG's.

The Dispensary I got mine from said the lab tested it at 24% THC! I didn't think old-school genetics got that high? Yup, been smoking for 16+ years, but still a lot to learn.

Peace!

MadR1

Maybe the clinic mis-labeled a batch. Sure does have a Chem quality to it. Simple on inhilation, complex aftertaste...

MadR1

I get a strog Indica buzz, but the foxtails means the Sativa side of it is at least partly from some Haze?

sativa92

I grew Dutch treat for quite a few years.. And even breed with it. There is no foxtails with Dutchtreat.. From my research its 80% wld. There is some sativa leaning phenos, that have purple hues to them..

mazar_man

I was smoking Dutch Treat from BC back in 91 and had heard of it before that. It was heavily spread around the world via Marc Emory's seedbank in late 90's early 2000's. Would lay bets it originates in BC either from dutch genes or dutch x bc genetics.

MadR1

Maybe I got a new version of it? When I look it up online all the sites say the old-school version of it tested at %18 THC.

I still think someone should mate a Chem Dawg male of sorts to the clone of this "Dutch Treat" that I have been enjoying. I think those two would complement each other nicely in flavor. Please someone do this ASAP, so I won't have to cry all night like a baby!!!

Its been added to my list of all time favorite meds I have ever scored.

#1 Bomb Berry (From LA)
Purps (LA)
Silver Haze (LA)
Golden Goat (CO)
Blue Chem (LA)
Super Bubba Kush (LA)
Dutch Treat (Bay Area)

Silver Haze and Godlen Goat are more sativa than I preffer, but whoever grew those batches did them proper.

The jar is shrinking... I need to get a job so I can get back to that dispensary and get more before they sell out!