What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

List of different Soil Mixes---Soil Directory

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell that looks better than half the stuff I see over here :D

No way to find out without throwing a test seed in. It doesn't look hot at all, though that depends on what the "soil" component contains. 20-30% Vermicast in the final mix should give you a good run unless you're pushing small containers. Tracking down a bottle or two of supplemental feed would be handy in case the mix comes up short.

Monyo

Hi @Mikell,

Really? So I have a good mix in my hands?

My first plant, the month old local weed, wasn't planted with this mix... So I am unsure what it could do to seedlings.

What do you mean by hot? Do you mean if I put in direct sunlight, it will kind of burn? I add a layer of my vermicast like after a couple of inches after I put on the mix. I try to conserve energy that's why I leave it out in the open direct sunlight for about at least 3 hrs a day. Is that really bad?

Dog Star

Veteran
70% black organic soil
30% EWC
Amount for 150 liter of soil mix

1.Fishmeal LT-94 lowtemperature processed -250 grams
2.Crunched Norvegian Kelp - 1 kg
3.Dry Beer Yiest -250 grams
4.Antartic krill meal - 50 grams
5.Fish predigested protein -50 grams
6.Little bit compost bacteries with some bone meal and feather meal - 2 soup spoons
7.Purified blood meal -30 grams

Natural mineral part -Granite dust -half tea cup
Maerl -big soup spoon
Zeolite-big soup spoon
Agro lime one tea cup

Mix all good,water but not soggy and leave inside bin for 60 days or more on cooking..

All the best

DS

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi @Mikell,

Really? So I have a good mix in my hands?

My first plant, the month old local weed, wasn't planted with this mix... So I am unsure what it could do to seedlings.

What do you mean by hot? Do you mean if I put in direct sunlight, it will kind of burn? I add a layer of my vermicast like after a couple of inches after I put on the mix. I try to conserve energy that's why I leave it out in the open direct sunlight for about at least 3 hrs a day. Is that really bad?

By "hot" I'm refering to nutrient strength. Some premade soils are nutrient dense and will fry seedlings, and are refered to as hot.

It looks like a good base. Sphagnum peat mixes are common over here as we're close to the source, but you have to use what you can get locally :p There's more than one way to crack an egg.

Either throwing in a guinea pig test plant or a few quick germinating vegetable seeds will determine how strong the soil is. The packaging may mention clones/seedlings, or a call to the company may suffice. You could also ask how long the soil will last for a tomato or pepper plant to get an idea of the strength.

I would mix the vermicast in with the soil personally. I've found the layer on the top to be a magnet for fungus gnats, besides which is forms a strong crust without a good mulch on top.

This may or may not suffice for a full run. Ordering in kelp meal products or any ingredients standard in North American soil recipes would kill you with shipping. A similar product to A. nodosum kelp meal is made in SE Asia from another species, K. alvarezi. There are even "extract" style products out similar to Maxicrop. Whether they're available in your area would take some poking around. Any type of gardening or farm and feed store will have one or two products you can use for supplemental feed if needed. There are many resources here and elsewhere for producing your own fertilizers from local plant matter if you're inclined that way.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To me...this is what good soil looks like...

soil_w_.jpg

Doesn't matter if it's inside or out...small batch or large batch...good soil is good soil...

imagejpeg952.jpg

dank.Frank

Dog Star

Veteran
Worms inside soil-mix that is revived and later in pots is also beneficial thing,
if you mix kelp flakes or alfa-alfa meal this ones will be eated by worms and prepared

in best food for plant...decomposition of amandments is faster and worms are great helpers
that provide aeration if we have them inside containers.

Best types of soil dont have perlite or any kind of aeration inside self,just look our
nature that surround us..she is best teacher.

European Chernozyom are type of most fertile soil founded on Earth dont contain
any aeration parts.
River loam that look like heavy soil is also one of best soils for lot of plants
and they dont have problems to spread roots inside this soil.

What i wanna say is that for me aeration compounds are totaly unnecessary for growing
strong healthy plants,and i can prove it by my growing since i use same mix for more than 5 years now.

All the best

DS

Dog Star

Veteran
Yes Ingski,i do...you can check those link in my signature.

That grow that you will see is maded in a way i explaining posts before this one.

All the best

DS

acidblue

Anyone use the 1 part Fox farm Original + 1 part Ocean forest + 1 part Light Warrior
with 1 cup of POM 5-8-4??
Its the mix right after the seedling mix on the first page, seems like a fool proof mix, just wanted to know if anyones used it?

Ingski

Anyone use the 1 part Fox farm Original + 1 part Ocean forest + 1 part Light Warrior
with 1 cup of POM 5-8-4??
Its the mix right after the seedling mix on the first page, seems like a fool proof mix, just wanted to know if anyones used it?

I am using a very similar mix called the moonshine mix, pretty much the same thing with added lime, greensand, extra POM, and earthwormcastings and it working great. Give it a shot!

johnny n.

happy frog potting soil

happy frog potting soil

i see you listed ocean forest, fox farm as a no need to feed soil, how about happy frog also from fox farm. it is potting soil, not soil less. would you say it could be used with no feeding until transplant?
thanks for any help,
johnny n.

chomsky

Thought I would post up the best first year soil mix I have found to date. 15 years of searching and I am sum-what happy with my first year soil.

Here is what I put into my soil this year: (exactly)
6.7 Yards of Peat
4 yards Bu Blend Bio Dynamic Dairy Cow Manure
2 yards Buckaroo EWC
6 yards red lava rock 5/16
2 yards sandy Loam

80lbs Neam Seed meal
100lbs Kelp Meal
120lbs crab meal
120lbs Gypsum
100lbs oyster shell lime
400lbs Glacial rock dust
170lbs cascade minerals
200lbs Azomite powder
100lbs fish bone meal 3-16-0

Here are my soil results from Logan Lab

View Image

Not bad at all on paper for a first year soil. It has it's problems but with feeding only tea's (execpt 2 plants) this soil has produced some super healthy, rapid growing, cannabis plants.

WOW Seems like a great mix but that is a shitload of soil. Im horrible at conversions, any chance you'd break that mix down in measurement for say 10 plants worth? If you don't feel like dealing with my request I fully understand...

chomsky

WOW Seems like a great mix but that is a shitload of soil. Im horrible at conversions, any chance you'd break that mix down in measurement for say 10 plants worth? If you don't feel like dealing with my request I fully understand...

Shit I see he's banned. Could anyone else manage this?

MelloYello

1.8 cu ft Peat
1 cu ft Manure
1/2 cu ft EWC
1.6 cu ft Lava
1/2 cu ft Loam

.8 lb neem
1 lb kelp
1.2 lbs crab
1 lb gypsum
1 lb oyster
4 lbs glacial
1.7 lbs cascade
2 lbs azo
1 lb fish bone

this is 1% of recipe

Last edited:

chomsky

1.8 cu ft Peat
1 cu ft Manure
1/2 cu ft EWC
1.6 cu ft Lava
1/2 cu ft Loam

.8 lb neem
1 lb kelp
1.2 lbs crab
1 lb gypsum
1 lb oyste4 glacial
1.7 lbs cascade
2 lbs azo
1 lb fish bone

should be 1% of recipe

Nice thanks looks like a good soil mix...