What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
picture.php

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
LOL, yesterday evening I saw a documentation about Kamschatka/Sibiria and, hey!, they didn´t spoke about the climate change! But, in Germany we say, Kamschatka is at the ass of the world, so faraway from citys and humans, the seals and other swimming animals got problems with plastic trash in the seas! Often they get strangled of it.

igrowone

Veteran
Unparalleled warmth is changing the Arctic and affecting weather in US, Europe

By Brandon Miller, CNN Meteorologist
Updated 10:12 AM ET, Tue December 11, 2018

Source: CNN

(CNN)The Arctic is experiencing a multi-year stretch of unparalleled warmth "that is unlike any period on record," according to the 2018 Arctic Report Card, a peer-reviewed report released Tuesday morning from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an agency within the United States Department of Commerce.

The report states that human-caused climate change is transforming the Arctic, both physically through the reduction of sea ice, and biologically through reductions in wildlife populations and introduction of marine toxins and algae.
The report is yet another study from part of the US government indicating that climate change is real and having a profound impact, despite denials from the President and senior members of his Administration.
181211091814-climate-arctic-second-warmest-year-on-record-medium-plus-169.jpg
The year 2018 was the Arctic's second-warmest year on record behind 2016. The top five warmest years have all occurred since 2014.

Temperatures in the Arctic are warming more than twice as fast as the overall planet's average temperature, with temperatures this year in the highest latitudes (above 60 degrees north) coming in 1.7 degrees Celsius (3.1 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1981-2010 average. These were the second warmest (behind 2016) air temperatures ever recorded during the Arctic year, which runs from October through September to avoid splitting the winter season.
The five years since 2014 have been warmer than any other years in the historical record, which goes back to 1900. Although Arctic temperatures have been subject to wild swings back and forth through the decades due to natural variability, they have been consistently warmer than average since 2000 and at or near record since 2014, the report states.
"The changes we are witnessing in the Arctic are sufficiently rapid that they cannot be explained without considering our impacts on the chemistry of the atmosphere," Thomas Mote, a research scientist at the University of Georgia who authored part of the report, told CNN in an email.
Mote expressed than any natural cycle or mechanism that would lead to the amount of warming and ice loss that has been observed would take much longer than the few years over which we have seen these drastic changes.

A vicious cycle

181211091431-climate-arctic-twice-as-fast-as-global-average-exlarge-169.jpg
Since 2000, Arctic temperatures, shown in red, have been higher than the overall global temperature anomalies, shown in gray. In 2018 the Arctic was shown to be warming at an alarming rate, twice as fast as the average global temperature.

The rapid warming of the Arctic is known as "Arctic amplification," which is due to multiple feedback loops that the report describes. Warmer temperatures lead to less ice and snow, which means less sunlight is reflected and more is absorbed by the darker oceans. This warms the ocean further, which in turn decreases the sea ice even more. The lack of sea ice and more ocean surface leads to additional cloudiness later in the fall season, which keeps the Arctic region warmer even later into the winter.
"What starts in the Arctic isn't confined there," Mote noted. "Changes in sea ice influence ocean currents and the jet stream in ways that can affect weather in lower latitudes, including the United States and Europe," Mote said.
The report highlighted several of these events over the past year as an example of how Arctic warming can influence day-to-day weather.

The swarm of Nor'easters that plauged the eastern United States in early 2018 and the extreme cold outbreak during March in Europe, known as the "Beast from the East," were specifically noted.Sea ice continues to declineAs you would expect with the trend of record warm temperatures, sea ice has seen dramatic declines over the past 20 years as well, with 2018 continuing that trend.According to the 2018 Arctic Report Card, this year featured the second-lowest winter sea-ice extent -- the amount of the Arctic Ocean that is covered with sea ice -- since the satellite record began in 1979. The summer minimum sea ice was the sixth-lowest over the same time period.While winter sea ice extents have decreased at a much slower rate compared to the ice extent during the summer, there has been a significant change to the ice pack during the winter.

181211083010-climate-arctic-loss-of-very-old-ice-over-time-exlarge-169.jpg

Old ice -- ice that lasts through four or more melt seasons -- seen in 1985, left, and 2018, right.

The ice is much younger than it used to be. According to the report, fewer than 1% of Arctic ice is considered "oldest ice," meaning it is at least four years old and has survived multiple melt seasons. Older ice tends to be thicker and more resilient to changes in temperature.
Since scientists began measuring the age of the ice in the mid-1980s, multi-year ice in the Arctic has decreased in size from 2.54 million square kilometers (roughly the size of Mexico and all of Central America combined) to 0.13 million square kilometers (roughly the size of Nicaragua in Central America) -- a 95% reduction in a little over 30 years.
"Sea ice cover has transformed from a strong, thick pack in the 1980s to a more fragile, younger, thinner, and more mobile pack in recent years," the report states, where "the thinner, younger ice is more vulnerable to melting out in the summer and has contributed to the decreasing trend in the minimum ice extent."

Red tides and reindeer

The warming of the Arctic climate and the decline of sea ice have led to some drastic changes in the biodiversity of the region.
The report's authors found notable increases in harmful algal blooms, often known as red tides, which can affect human, wildlife and ecosystem health and lead to mass die-offs of fish and marine mammals, such as was observed in Florida during much of the summer this year.
181211083004-climate-arctic-red-tide-alaska-exlarge-169.jpg

As the Arctic warms, new toxins are being introduced to the region. This map highlights the location and kind of toxins found in marine animal species from 2004 to 2013 in the Alaskan Arctic.

While normally confined to warmer climates, the toxin-producing phytoplankton have been shifting northward as ocean temperatures rise, posing a risk to the local populations and economies that depend heavily on fishing for food and tourism.
Other native wildlife species are feeling the heat, as well. Reindeer and caribou populations continued to decline in 2018, according to the report, with their total populations dropping by more than 50% over the past 20 years.
While climate change isn't the only factor likely behind the decline in these herds, it is a driving force for a number of threats the animals face. Increased heat stress, food shortages, disease and parasites -- climate change overarches each of these challenges, the report states.

igrowone

Veteran
time for some fun data
in short, a tie for the 5th warmest november in the record
that is happening nearly every month, it's a new plateau we've reached
and el nino could push us higher, but hasn't started yet, you know how it is with el ninos

November

November 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Anomalies in degrees Celsius

November 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Percentiles

The month was characterized by warmer- to much-warmer-than-average conditions across much of the globe. The most notable temperature departures from average during November 2018 were present across the Northern Hemisphere land, with much of Alaska, western Canada, Scandinavia and parts of eastern Russia with temperatures that were 3.0°C (5.4°F) above average or higher. Meanwhile, much of the contiguous U.S. and central and eastern Canada, and parts of northern and central Asia had temperature departures from average that were 2.0°C (3.6°F) below average or cooler. The most notable ocean temperatures were observed in the South Atlantic Ocean, south of South Africa, where temperatures were 1.5°C (2.7°F) above average or higher and record warm for this region. Additional areas with record warmth included parts of the Barents Sea, central Atlantic Ocean, and parts of western Pacific Ocean. No land or ocean areas had record cold November temperatures. Averaged as a whole, the November 2018 global land and ocean average surface temperature tied with 2004 and 2016 as the fifth highest November temperature since global records began in 1880 at 0.75°C (1.35°F) above the 20th century average. November 2015 is the warmest November with a global land and ocean temperature at 0.96°C (1.73°F) above the 20th century average. November 2018 also marks 42nd consecutive November and the 407th consecutive month with temperatures, at least nominally, above the 20th century average.
The global land-only temperature was 0.83°C (1.49°F) above the 20th century average and was the 16th highest November land temperature in the 139-year record. However, this was the smallest (least warm) November land-only temperature since 2014. Meanwhile, the global ocean-only temperature was the second highest on record, trailing behind 2015 (+0.85°C / +1.53°F), at 0.72°C (1.30°F) above the 20th century average.
According to NCEI's Regional Analysis, South America and Africa had a temperature that ranked among the eight warmest Novembers since continental records began in 1910. North America was the only continent that had an average temperature that was below average, tying with 1971 as the 37th coldest November on record.
The Atlantic Main Development Region (MDR) and the Caribbean Islands had their coolest November temperatures since 2000 and 2012, respectively. Meanwhile, the Hawaiian Region had its third highest November temperature at 0.88°C (1.58°F) on record, behind 1968 (+1.24°C / +2.23°F) and 2015 (+1.01°C / +1.82).
Select national information is highlighted below. Please note that different countries report anomalies with respect to different base periods. The information provided here is based directly upon these data:

• Warmer-than-average conditions were present across much of Australia during November 2018. Australia's nationally-averaged temperature for the month was 0.73°C (1.31°F) above the 1961–1990 average and was the 18th warmest November in the nation's 109-year record. All regions, with the exception of South Australia, had above average temperatures. The most notable warm temperature departure from average occurred in Queensland at +1.42°C (+2.56°F)—the fourth highest November temperature on record. The nation's maximum and minimum temperatures were also warmer than average at +0.53°C (+0.95°F) and +0.93°C (+1.67°F), respectively. Regionally, Queensland, Tasmania, and Northern Territory had a minimum temperature that ranked among the 10 warmest Novembers on record.
    • An intense heatwave affected northern Queensland during the last week of November. Several locations set new November temperature records. Of note, maximum temperatures soared to 43.6°C (110.5°F) at Cairns on November 27, which is 6.6°C (11.9°F) higher than the previous record of 37.0°C (98.6°F). According to Australia's Bureau of Meteorology, the death of 4,000 spectacled flying foxes and wild fire activity was associated with the extreme heat.

Smith111

7-11-11 we were asked:

Today, 12/19/18 the answer is:

yes, it's still there.

Also, you guys realize you are posting DATA from studies that have been proven false right? Geez.

Smith111

I saw a thing with Ben Shapiro giving his thoughts about how people will just 'adapt' to rising sea water....
He says if the ocean rose by 5-10 feet the people on the coast would just sell their houses and move inland :biglaugh:
Sell underwater homes?? Who are these people who are going to be buying these houses??
A real genius....

Pretty sure you missed the point......

Why do all those rich people that think global warming is a thing........ buy houses on the ocean? Still drive SUV's? Still fly in private jets?

If the world was ending, these global warming catastrophist wouldn't be acting this way.

igrowone

Veteran
7-11-11 we were asked:

Today, 12/19/18 the answer is:

yes, it's still there.

Also, you guys realize you are posting DATA from studies that have been proven false right? Geez.

i don't believe there was any implication the north pole would disappear
it's about change which is happening
and what study are you referring to?
the recent posts are just data and observations of what is happening now

edit: the report posted is a study i suppose
but its release is quite recent, been disproved in the matter of days?
that does does sound like the typical global warming denier 'science'

St. Phatty

There is a common geological process where the North Pole changes location.

In recent times, moving about 10 km/ 6 miles a year, since 1831.

Possibly currently moving towards London.

Not the same as disappearing.

igrowone

Veteran
There is a common geological process where the North Pole changes location.

In recent times, moving about 10 km/ 6 miles a year, since 1831.

Possibly currently moving towards London.

Not the same as disappearing.

the magnetic pole will wander
though there is some talk of it flipping in not so distant future
the actual magnetic field will go away for a while, has done so in the past
i guess that counts as disappearing
for the moment i'll be glad to see some of the icecap remain
if that sucker actually disappears, well, it can't be good

St. Phatty

the magnetic pole will wander
though there is some talk of it flipping in not so distant future
the actual magnetic field will go away for a while, has done so in the past
i guess that counts as disappearing
for the moment i'll be glad to see some of the icecap remain
if that sucker actually disappears, well, it can't be good

I think the key word is "economic dislocation".

The combination of definite man-made climate change (higher CO2 levels) and all the maybe's of climate change (Global warming).

A lot of variables there. That would give a supercomputer a head-ache.

I think the 2005 Hurricanes sort of showed how a storm can change society.

If you categorize "all the people who can afford to re-build", well it tends to be mostly wealthy folks.

I remember reading an article about the 2005 Hurricanes, the effect on Louisiana, "Hurricane Gerrymandering", about how Louisiana used to be Democratic, but a lot of the Democratic Louisiana voters did not come back after the hurricane.

Smith111

it's about change which is happening
and what study are you referring to?
the recent posts are just data and observations of what is happening now

edit: the report posted is a study i suppose
but its release is quite recent, been disproved in the matter of days?
that does does sound like the typical global warming denier 'science'

Below is the very first post in the thread. Sure seems like the thread hinted to the ICE caps going away. Or maybe you were just showing change. However you can see from the very first post how one would assume this thread might be about a disappearing North Pole.

As for bad science, I am talking about the study that stated the water of the world was absorbing more heat than expected, which is why the delay in warming. That study the very people that wrote it, now admit it was bunk.

Lots of other bad climate science out there also. :tiphat:
I know this is a doomed thread, but this is just so interesting to look at.
So there's this government site that shows radar images of the northern icecap: https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
And it making a run at new low. From what I can see the NorthEast passage will open in August, maybe sooner than August. NorthWest passage looks early too.
I just enjoy watching the pics, but hey, that's just me.

igrowone

Veteran
Below is the very first post in the thread. Sure seems like the thread hinted to the ICE caps going away. Or maybe you were just showing change. However you can see from the very first post how one would assume this thread might be about a disappearing North Pole.

... :tiphat:

reasonable interpretation i guess
wasn't clear to me just what you were responding to
i was thinking more about shrinking than a vanishing act
even the bad projections don't have the icecap disappear completely
winter ice should be present
but currently the rate of loss is close to 1% per year, slightly less than 1%
it takes no climate scientist to project that is not a good trajectory

Smith111

reasonable interpretation i guess
wasn't clear to me just what you were responding to
i was thinking more about shrinking than a vanishing act
even the bad projections don't have the icecap disappear completely
winter ice should be present
but currently the rate of loss is close to 1% per year, slightly less than 1%
it takes no climate scientist to project that is not a good trajectory

I wonder if in the middle of an ice age, when crops didn't grow, if shrinking ice would be considered a good thing? Of course, right?

My question is, why do so many people think warming is a bad thing? The best times in human civilization has happens during a warming period. I literally watched an interview will Bill Nye the non science guy, and he stated that if it wasn't for the industrial revolution, we should have had another ice age. In my mind, I was thinking thank God for the industrial revolution, right? Imagine living in an ice age right now...... Seriously.

Another thing nobody takes into consideration, technology. Clean energy is moving at an exponential rate. Much faster than the rate we pollute this planet. At the turn of the century, New York had a state of emergency because of all the horse shit in the streets. Imagine if instead of letting innovation prevail, they just taxed horses........

We are becoming a class 1 civilization and soon we will be able to control the weather systems across the entire planet. Just my two cents, from a point of view rarely spoken about. So yes, the current trajectory is concerning, but it's not without hope.

igrowone

Veteran
there are merits to the argument that warming is not bad
but it's dangerous because some of the people using it were vehement that there was no significant warming
that's not based on reason, that's emotion
clean energy is what we need, and is the problem
there's clean energy, plentiful energy, and cheap energy
but clean cheap plentiful energy has been hard to get

Smith111

Cheap, plentiful energy..... hmmmmmmmm..... nuclear maybe?

For some reason, we still are using technology from the 50's for our power plants. However we have brand new water and space ships that have nuclear reactors that supply hundreds of years of power in a self sustained package. Never hear of nuclear sub's melting down. In fact, there have only been two melt downs in the planets history. One was because of a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami, with decades old technology protecting the people of Japan. Horrible disasters, but nothing compared to oil spills, and the carbon emissions from daily burning of fossil fuels.

Then think, nuclear technology is 67 years old. We can do better.

igrowone

Veteran

For some reason, we still are using technology from the 50's for our power plants. However we have brand new water and space ships that have nuclear reactors that supply hundreds of years of power in a self sustained package. Never hear of nuclear sub's melting down. In fact, there have only been two melt downs in the planets history. One was because of a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami, with decades old technology protecting the people of Japan. Horrible disasters, but nothing compared to oil spills, and the carbon emissions from daily burning of fossil fuels.

preaching to the converted here
much more modern nuclear tech has been in the wings for a while
but it's called nuclear, and that's such a deal breaker, we need nuclear bad
some interesting trivia, chernobyl was the worst of the bunch at least for exposure to the local population
but the direct effect on the exposed wasn't much with respect to life expectancy
there was a little, can't recall the numbers
but it was dwarfed by the increases in alcoholism, depression, and suicide
perception is everything

therevverend

Veteran
My question is, why do so many people think warming is a bad thing?

This comes up now and then and it seems logical because everyone likes summer? I'm not a fan of December weather. But if you look into it's not just a bad thing it's a disastrously bad thing. Not just for polar bears and penguins and the like. What civilization and nature needs to prosper is stability. Climate change introduces all kinds of chaos.

The fires and droughts in California are one example. Our infrastructure and cities were built 60 years ago it's going to cost a lot of money to fix it all. Siberia, Canada, Alaska, are covered in permafrost. The permafrost holds vast quantities of methane and other greenhouse gasses. As this melts it makes living in the north a huge pain in the ass. The ground turns into a swampy sinkhole. Roads, houses, cities, that were built on solid frozen permafrost sink into the acidic peat bogs that form.

Droughts are going to turn vast regions of Africa, India, China, the Middle East, into deserts. We're seeing what happens as these places destabilize creating thousands of refugees descending on Europe. Warmer temperatures mean less snow. Snow melt is what irrigates crops across the world. I wouldn't be buying real estate in Arizona once the snow in the Rockies, Cascades, and Sierra Nevada disappears it'll get rough. Water rights are a big deal it'll get much worse over time.

As the oceans warm the water absorbs more CO2. This causes the ocean PH to drop as the CO2 reacts to form Carbonic Acid. The PH has dropped from 8.25-8.14 from 1751 to 1996. This kills coral, plankton, and all the animals that use calcium carbonate to build their shells. It depresses the metabolic rate and immune response of marine organisms. Many fish get sluggish and stupid as the PH drops in water.

The acidification may be the worst aspect of global warming. All the models say it's bad but at it's worse the ocean ecosystems collapse and all we're left with is jellyfish. The productivity in the oceans depends on cold temperatures to circulate currents and mix nutrients.

Land animals are fucked as well. Plants that have requirements for water and temperature will die off. The animals that depend on them will have to migrate. Which means leaving the parks and preserves where they live crossing cities and roads. Which they won't be able to do.

This is getting long but the mass extinction started by man 12,000 years ago will accelerate. Our tendency to cut down forests, overgraze and over fertilize, build parking lots, and shoot anything that moves, is creating the biggest slaughter of plants and animals since the dinosaurs went extinct. Climate change will be the nail in the coffin.

Nuclear energy gets a lot of bad publicity disproportionate to the risk. The biggest problem is that humans are prone to slack off and fuck up. For instance the Japanese disaster. With all the earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, Godzilla and Rodan attacks you'd think they'd plan a safer place to build a reactor. A solid, stable area without a lot of seismic activity far from the ocean in a place without a lot of war and unrest is a lot wiser. For instance the Ukraine..

There's countries that rely on nuclear power a lot more then the US. France gets 40% of it's energy from nuclear. Japan was on it's way to 40% before Fuckushima. I think the reason the US has such a negative opinion and lack of nuclear power is the oil lobby. Anything to keep the coal plants burning. Made in America!

Dog Star

Veteran
Nuclear is great until things goes mayhem like in Chernobil and Fukushima..

then there is a huge money needed to solve and process nuclear waste..

Hanford is just one example of how things can go wrong and how difficult
is to solve nuclear waste issues..

Just imagine USA-Russia nuclear War,they will hit with intention this kind of poluted
places like Hanford or maybe to hit Yellowstone supervolcano,or San Andreas Fault..

same will do Americans to Russian poluted places,maybe even hit Chernobil no matter
is in Ukraine positioned to create some kind of dirty atomic bomb and then pray that wind made the rest in their favor..

Fukushima is still not estuinguished... can you belive that after 7.5 years those uran
blobs still burning and create all kind of exotic radionuclides while fissioning..

Think a humans are still not on level to play with NP.. also human mistake is very
common,you can sees developed Japan what problems they have to clean and
maintain this mess.. just imagine some poorer country that tryes to solve same
kind of problems..

And in Chernobill and Fukushima there was a lot of dead and terminal ill people..

goverments hide this data cause its not popular to give truth to the masses..

Latest posts

Latest posts