What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finland is not Scandinavia.

-BG-

norwegian and finnish culture is so intertwined its impossible to separate! ive never heard any fin's before say "we are not a part of THAT!". i guess i feel alittle offended by that, maybe even alittle deserted.

its just so so so wrong to me, now thats what my heart says, putting all the history aside. now im sorry you guys feel that way!

because i see a culture and not borders, if you can imagine half your nation beiing taken from you. thats what this feels like! and its not about my country, its about my culture!

I hear you mate...There is a lot of common in our culture...and I do think that we are part of that...no borders needed, I can see the culture you mean..!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
I hope I didnt personally offended you arcticsun, co´s I think you as a bro! I agree Norway & Finlands upper parts have very tight history, but this all started when some ***** throwed these claims! We all have some similar cultural habits in: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and I agree you about the borders, but this was about the borders/areas originally...

But.. Aint the new Nordic -forum more accurate than Scandinavian, since it started (once again) centuries old debate + some sad nationalism???

Once again, sorry if I offended you in any way, wasnt my purpose bro, you know I think you as a bro?

jump117

Veteran
Finish army stopped red army???!!!)))
OMg)):laughing:

Still don't understand why you see my posts as flaming
but I think I'd better shut up before the topic get messed too much.. ;)

Every person who learns the meaning and the origin of the word-combination "molotov cocktail" meets the history of the Soviet-Finnish War 1939-40.
I've read some info about this war years back and I know some details of that deal. This story is not as much populated in history classes in schools.
They inform in very short words that it was strategically needed and after a big losses stalin & molotov' ussr was succeed in getting some territories near S.Petersburg (aka Leningrad) for the sake of military defense of the city. Btw it didn't help Leningrad in WW2.
Imo it was one of the most terrible, tragic and shameful pages in Soviet part of my Russian history. There is absolutely nothing to be proud of. As Russians as other people lost a huge amount of lives due to stupid aggresive communism but to be honest nor stalin nor most of his administration weren't russians ethnically, they speak absolutely another language, as well as ideas of communism.
Mannerheim was a genius of providence provided very good fortification ingeneering. Brave soldiers, clever and heroic people of Finland. All this is true.
But this war wouldn't ever stop in spite of huge human losses that meant nothing to stalin & co.
They planned a quick win like at Baltics, failed, hurried up to win before stalin's birthday, failed again, tried to continue and weren't going to stop but after the warning from Britain were faced to risk of a second front on south vs Britain. And I agree with a statement that namely this turn had stopped aggression.

Links fo russian readers-
http://valhalla.ulver.com/f39/t12220.html Станислав ГРАЧЕВ Лев сражается с мышонком или Россия, кровью умытая. Советско - финская война 1939-40 гг.
http://militera.lib.ru/memo/other/mannerheim/index.html Зимняя война

it is kind of ironic how a russian can claim finland is not a part of scandinavia...

It's really ironic but I also think Finland is not part of Scandinavia that is geo-political unit as like BeNeLux.
Btw Petsamo-Kirkeness 7-29 oct 1944 operation also is not well known here. Twice I've heard from people about Russians in Norway in WW2, and both were Norwegians.

A

arcticsun

It's really ironic but I also think Finland is not part of Scandinavia that is geo-political unit as like BeNeLux.
Btw Petsamo-Kirkeness 7-29 oct 1944 operation also is not well known here. Twice I've heard from people about Russians in Norway in WW2, and both were Norwegians.

As far as i know, of all the countries bordering Russia, Norway is the ONLY country who has never suffered armed attacks from Russia.

Furthermore, it was Russian troops who fought the germans out of Norway during WW2.

there is no such thing as an exclusive norway-denmark-sweden cooperation like with the be-ne-lux countries. there is however the nordic council in which finland is a member. infact i know of no bi-latteral agreement which includes only norway denmark and sweden and excludes finland.

http://www.ymparisto.fi/default.asp?node=16161&lan=en

does anyone remember this case a few years back?

An effort to merge the Norwegian and Swedish telecoms firms several years ago fell apart amidst cultural conflicts between the two, and a top Swedish government official's famous comment that Norway was Europe's "last Soviet state."

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
As far as i know, of all the countries bordering Russia, Norway is the ONLY country who has never suffered armed attacks from Russia.

Furthermore, it was Russian troops who fought the germans out of Norway during WW2.

I thought Norway was recaptured with hardly a shot fired ? The Germans knew their time was up and scarpered ? I have family over there, in the South around Sandefijord & Skien and there was no real fighting there IIRC.

A

arcticsun

I thought Norway was recaptured with hardly a shot fired ? The Germans knew their time was up and scarpered ? I have family over there, in the South around Sandefijord & Skien and there was no real fighting there IIRC.

When Germany attacked the Soviet Union in 1941, Joseph Stalin ordered both soldiers and civilians to initiate a scorched earth policy to deny the invaders basic supplies as they moved eastward. The process was repeated later in the war (German "verbrannte Erde"), when retreating German forces burned or destroyed farms, buildings, weapons, and food to deprive Soviet forces of their use.

At the close of World War II, Finland, which had made a separate peace with the Allies, was required to evict the German forces, which had been fighting against the Soviets alongside the Finnish troops in the Northern part of the country. Finnish forces, under the leadership of general Hjalmar Siilasvuo, struck aggressively in August 1944 by making a landfall at Tornio. This accelerated the German retreat, and by November 1944 the Germans had left most of northern Finland. The German forces, forced to retreat due to overall strategic situation, covered their retreat towards Norway by devastating large areas of northern Finland using scorched earth strategy. More than one-third of the dwellings in the area were destroyed, and the provincial capital Rovaniemi was burned to the ground. All but two bridges in Lapland were blown up and roads mined[8]. In Northern Norway which was at the same time invaded by Soviet forces in pursuit of the retreating German army in 1944, the Germans also undertook a scorched earth policy, destroying every building that could offer shelter, including churches, thus interposing a belt of "scorched earth" between themselves and the allies[9].

:fsu: :fsu: :fsu: :fsu: :fsu:
----------------------------

there is a boom on warmovies in norway at the moment, and if you are interrested in the area and the history i am sure you will find these productions interresting, and a good watch.

http://blog.norway.com/tag/wwii/ <-- about some upcoming features

dead_snow_movie_image__7_.jpg
dead-snow-poster1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KQh87_V2Q <--nazi-zombie slasher movie from north norway. prod 09'

max23_1202298833.jpg
_Max_Manus_h_jpg_46650d.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbK4WTQFf9U <-- excellent big production about some heroes of the norwegian resistance. prod 08'.

down south there was no fighting at the end of the war, it was a quiet capitulation. that wasnt the case for the north however

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Aha, thanks, explains a lot. The South I know has few scars or signs of WW2, and the scorched earth policy certainly did not run to the south where they left quite a few ancient Stave Churches, for the Black Metal fans to later, er, scorch ;-)

A

arcticsun

hehe dont worry benefit my friend, the topic is dead long ago

we are just having some brotherly fun :D

Ragnarok_small.jpg

jump117

Veteran
The Allegory of Politics and Propaganda.

The Allegory of Politics and Propaganda.

picture.php

not sure about TOU level for this pic. :angrymod: ?

Latest posts

Latest posts