What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedling heat mat smells like Love Canal

Treevly

I bought a seedling heat mat today, and the plastic smell of the thing is to me highly toxic and very strong. I have wiped it with alcohol a couple of times, and now I have it plugged in near a window, with an exhaust fan. I'm hoping that heating up a bit might cause it to gas off sufficiently that I could use it. It's called the Jump Start by Hydrofarm. Can anyone here recommend a brand which does NOT have a strong plastic smell? If this one ends up scrap, I'll buy another. Thank you

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Return it and get your money back. I have a Hydro Farm Horticultural seedling mat. It stays on all the time. I am constantly growing. It has worked well for me for quite a few years. I think I got it on ebay.