What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

rinsing coco

edo01

Hi all,

I'm wondering how you rinse your coco before planting.

I got plagron coco, low ec, but on the bag they say the ph is between 6.0 - 7

I always rinse the coco with ph 5.9 until I cant see dirty water coming out from the bottom.

Most times I have to do it 3 times the pot volume

But how do I change the ph within the coco? When they say its between 6 anf 7, it could be 6.8 which isnt the right ph for growing in coco, so I will get some nutrient problems

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm wondering how you rinse your coco before planting.

I got plagron coco, low ec, but on the bag they say the ph is between 6.0 - 7

I always rinse the coco with ph 5.9 until I cant see dirty water coming out from the bottom.

Most times I have to do it 3 times the pot volume

But how do I change the ph within the coco? When they say its between 6 anf 7, it could be 6.8 which isnt the right ph for growing in coco, so I will get some nutrient problems
If it is ordinary bagged coco it should be ok. Just soak it in a weak nutrient solution for a day or so, or until you can no longer hear the coco take on water - it makes a light popping/bubbling sound until it does.

Coco slabs are a different story, and have their own flushing agent.

edo01

But wouldnt it be better to buy bagged coco with ph somewhere between 5.5 - 6?

If I look on those ph charts, thats the range where plants (hydro/coco) get all of the nutrients

R

Rab.C

hey edo01 i just done my first grow with coco straight out the bag it had a high EC
straight out the bag.but i got a nice result from it.

edo01

Can anyone tell me why my ph is going down after I made my nutrient solution

I make my solution with ph 5.8 and after 30 minutes the ph goes down to 5.5, if I stir the water, ph goes right back to 5.8, after a couble of minutes my ph device shows me again 5.5

troutman

Seed Whore
If I ever used coco again. I would fill in an old pillow case and soak it in a large container full of
pH balanced water overnight. Lifting the pillow case from the water would make it easy to get rid
of the fine dust and allow the coco to dry before using.

edo01

Thx for the advise

But is something wrong with my water?

How is that possible, if I make my nutrient solution to water my plants, that ph goes down after 30 minutes

On which ph should I focus?

troutman

Seed Whore
Most nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus tend to drive the pH down.

Add a tiny amount of limestone if it drops too much to buffer the pH.

Without any buffering, pH can swing up or down a lot faster than you want.