What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco coir calcium and Magnesium

Nifty_PoT

haha cool yea man no worries, just thought i would throw up a post as a warning for anyone else that maybe wanted to try it . so yea just leave out the magnesium sulfate :D

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hey DHF I found a General Hydroponics/General Organics Catalog with information about all of their products. Says Maxi series is buffered to maintain PH after adjusting before feeding and is recommended for all water types and grow styles including soil. The feed chart highest recommended feed strength is 0.75 teaspoon. I attached a screenshot from JR Peter's Deconstructing Fertilizer Formula’s handout pdf that helps make sense of the low initial ph, below the screenshots I attached a link to the GH/GO catalog pdf and JR Peter's pdf:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Link to GH/GO catalog:

https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Catalog/GH-CAT16_031516am.pdf

Jr Peter's Deconstructing Fertilizer Formula’s handout

https://ag.umass.edu/sites/ag.umass.edu/files/pdf-doc-ppt/handoutcpeters.pdf

Lyfespan

Good call on the calcitic lime to keep Mg low Applesauce. Naturally Gypsum is 100-150 times more water soluble than limestone and releases its calcium and sulfur much easier to the plant. The solution grade gypsum is calcium sulfate dihydrate and is even more water soluble and plant available since it has an extra water molecule. I learned recently from lyfespan and the link h.h shared of analytical results on gypsum that it also supplies boron in this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=361617

Not necessary like I said, but effortless to utilize and very beneficial.

thank you sir for the credit :tiphat: on the assistance, speaks volumes :biggrin:

Lyfespan

I like using Nectar of the Gods "Olympus Up" for buffering the maxi-series powder solutions. It is not using the usual potassium bicarbonate or potassium hydroxide inputs and instead uses limestone. Important to note it is not dolomite lime (CaMg(CO3)2), which contains magnesium. I avoid using dolomite lime because of the Mg. Add calcitic lime to your soil for a pH buffer. I do not think amino acids are necessary for gypsum uptake. Agricultural studies I've read claim the calcium and sulfur in gypsum is readily available by plants as-is. I do not think you need to load amino acids into your soil to see the benefit.

yeah on the gypsum, its actually brings things to the party, without needing to be carried, really quite neat stuff :dance013:

save aminos for water only days

Lyfespan

haha cool yea man no worries, just thought i would throw up a post as a warning for anyone else that maybe wanted to try it . so yea just leave out the magnesium sulfate :D

really got to watch the sulfur inputs, they are sneaky, and can be harmful :tiphat:

Hi guy i have a question, i grow in coco and i always get a little calmag issue i use advanced nutrients sensi coco with ro water and after about 1-2 weeks i see the deficiencysxin early bloom i can see it also at 1.5ec . Is it because i fertilize on the low end at the vegetative phase? Ec at 1.2 would give me about 70ppm calcium. Does somebody know how much coco needs calcium? I use canna cocos which is pre buffered. Is it right if i have not enough calcium and Magnesium the coco steals so the cations stay filled but the plants cant absorb it because the coco gets it faster? If that is right i need to know how much calcium Magnesium is needed so i dont get the deficiencys all the time. Sorry for my bad english

RO water has no buffer/alkalinity/hardness which will cause problems with adequate calcium and/or magnesium availability in the medium.

You can add back tap water to .2 to .4 EC or add baking soda (.65 grams/10 litres) to add buffering capacity.

The baking soda will raise your PH so adjustments will need to be made to lower it. I used citric acid in the past.

I now add back 50% tap water as I am trying to reduce my RO use.