What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to set up an ebb&flow system

Snypie

I want to try out an ebb&flow system. I grow in a 1mx1mx1.8m (3,3'x3,3'x6) tent. I will use a 375W LED strip light.

I want to buy the GHE ebb&grow system. Here is a few details:

The General Hydroponics version of the ebb and flow table.

Its compact design makes it possible to hold up to 32 15x15 cm plastic pots or 22 fabric 1 Gallon pots (3.75L) without any space loss.

High capacity tank: Up to 100L (26,6 gallons) of solution.

Using the EBB&GROW® you can grow:
  • Using clay beads (Grorox)
  • Using coir or a coir/perlite mix
  • Using soil
  • Using rockwool (we do not recommend this as it is non recyclable)
Tip: You can also dispense with pots altogether and just fill the top tray with a Grorox and CocoTek Pure mix (60%/40%). This is one of the methods we use in our greenhouse.

Growing tray size Outer 95x95 cm (37,4") / inner 86x86 cm (33,8") and the height is 11 cm (4,5 inch).

I don't want to use rockwool. I want to start seeds in rapid rooters and then put them into the system. I would like to cover the table with mylar.

I grow with just seeds i don't have the space and equipment to keep a mother plant.

Normally i want to grow just 4 plant with SCROG. But in this case i should fill the whole tray with hydroton. (#1 option)

#2 option is i go with netpots and more plant count. Maybe 9 plant in 6" netpots.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages between the 2 option? Which one would you choose and why?

RockinRobot

Having started off filling the tray with clay pebbles myself, I advise against it. The roots will turn it into a solid mass by end of grow, making it a pain to change out. 3 gallon fabric pots, folded down, should work well with 4 plants in that space. Wider is better than tall for pots in flood and drain

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
Having started off filling the tray with clay pebbles myself, I advise against it. The roots will turn it into a solid mass by end of grow, making it a pain to change out. 3 gallon fabric pots, folded down, should work well with 4 plants in that space. Wider is better than tall for pots in flood and drain

I agree been there and its a PITA to clean out. Going back to ebb flo for moms and veg as soon as the fittings arrive. Misplaced my old ones.

Plan to keep the veg in 5 inch net cups with hydroton and get some fabric pots for bonsai moms.

Latest posts

Latest posts