What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Subdrool's Super Soil

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
This was the easiest way for me to get into ammended soil. I am almost finished with my first run where I havent cracked a single bottle of nutes. I have made 2-3 teas of EWC/Sucanat
and that is it.

I grow in a 3x3 so I dont need a lot of soil. I cut is recipe down to make a 1/4 of the size. The ingredients are as follows:

1/4 Recipe
2 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
6.25 to 12.5 lbs of organic worm castings
1.25lbs or 20 ounces steamed bone meal
1.25lbs or 20 ounces bloom bat guano
1.25lbs or 20 ounces blood meal
3/4 lbs rock phosphate
3/16 cup or 3 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons sweet lime (dolomite)
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
1.5 teaspoons powdered humic acid
2tbsp of Roots Organic Organism (mychs)

I added a little kelp and a little alfalfa meal. I cooked it for 6 weeks. I flower in 5gall smarties and filled the bottom of the pot about %45-%50 with SS. Added a buffer of promix, tranplanted and filled in with more promix/potting soil.

about 7-10 days after transplant these plants have zoomed! healthiest i have ever seen, and all I have done was add water....

Here are pics of my DTrains (white domina x qrazy train) at 44days....

OD7kt.jpg

kcrEj.jpg

ALrDq.jpg

JVTrT.jpg

i am SOLD. I am not starting this thread to say that this recipe is superior. More that, it had a "low barrier to entry" and allowed me to give up bottled nutes forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

budman678

Veteran
I envy you man, nice looking plants, a job well done
:thank you: for sharing

thanks for the response...

growing cannabis is all about sharing. its mutually beneficial. i want people to know that you dont need to buy into the consumerism of this hobby. you DONT need 10 bottles of shit to properly grow cannabis. not only do you feel ripped off, mixing the shit and measuring everything out is a PITA. i dont even ph my water anymore...i have had no problems at all..Supersoil has changed my life...i currently have three garbage cans in the garage cooking this great soil...i am giving two of the cans to friends.

sharing is caring...haha

do yourself a favor and start making supersoil tomorrow.

budman678

Veteran
no, i will be collecting it and spreading it in my outdoor veggie garden though. i grow lots of tomatoes, peppers, kales, etc etc

whats good with you epi?

make sure that the soil gets fresh air and isn't overly hydrated; or you will grow some nasty anaerobic molds while in the can as it "cooks". Many commonly mistake these anaerobic molds for "mycorrhizae"

budman678

Veteran
thanks for that newguy2012. i am just begging my organic journey and am learning a lot....i use a 32 gallon trash can and soak it with a couple gallons of filtered water. i pour it out and turn twice in the 6 weeks or so its in the can...im gonna pour everything out this weekend and give it the ol heave ho...

budman678

Veteran
Sounds like a nice, rich mix. Care to share when (what age) they go into it & what varieties?

although i have heard of people cloning directly into it and not having issues, i would NEVER chance that...

What I do:

Pop beans in rapid rooters.
Move them to 2gallon smart pots
After 30 or so days I stick em in a 5gallon smart pot with about %50 supersoil. Put down a two inch buffer with base soil, transplant and fill in all around the rootball with base soil. you can make your own base or buy FFOF,Roots, etc.

after transplanting they take about 7-10 days to really take off but LOOK OUT! they will grow so healthy and be the best lookin plants you have ever grown...i let them get situated in thier new pots for about 3 weeks and then begin to flower...

straight tap water all the way through. i supplement with the occasional EWC/sucanat tea on day 25, 35, and 45...

so easy to do, with such incredible results.

budman678

Veteran
the supersoil will work with the majority of strains. i love chems, sours, kushes, ogs and of course all TGA/Subcool shit. I love making bubble hash as well. TGA plants are the best hashplants in my opinion

supermanlives

Veteran
hell ya . my first mix was vics supersoil. it got my feet wet. havent looked back. i believe understanding organics is alot harder than pouring out chems. but i believe its worth it in the end.starting with a known mix and fine tuning it later makes starting less problematic.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i agree you have to start somewhere, and sub, vic, and moonshine all have some good mixes. question budman, do you mean 2 tbs of lime for the whole mix? you mean bags as in 1.5 cuft bags like the larger FFOF bags? dosent seem like enough lime to me, if thats so. i know they put a bit of lime in alot of the bags already, i dunno. also, if your only using 12.5 lbs ewc for that entire mix you could for sure bump that up. its personal preference of course, i might have mentioned it to you before but im a fan of ewc, i use 30% for freshly rooted clones and about 25% in my flowering mix, which would come out to about 60 lbs in 3 cuft of ffof. just my input!

budman678

Veteran
i agree you have to start somewhere, and sub, vic, and moonshine all have some good mixes. question budman, do you mean 2 tbs of lime for the whole mix? you mean bags as in 1.5 cuft bags like the larger FFOF bags? dosent seem like enough lime to me, if thats so. i know they put a bit of lime in alot of the bags already, i dunno. also, if your only using 12.5 lbs ewc for that entire mix you could for sure bump that up. its personal preference of course, i might have mentioned it to you before but im a fan of ewc, i use 30% for freshly rooted clones and about 25% in my flowering mix, which would come out to about 60 lbs in 3 cuft of ffof. just my input!

hey!

yep, i used 2 heaping tbsp with two 1.5cu ft bags of roots.

regarding ewc...i actually used around 18-20lbs of castings...

what i am figuring out first hand is that you dont have to be precise....a little of this little of that...i will prolly step up on the dolomite lime next time but i have had NO issues with ph at all...plants healthy....almost too healthy. i want them to be fading more at 7 weeks. i may have used too much SS, im not sure. but def no ph probs...

check out my journal below!

mogrow

i hear ya bm678/// most runs i have very little yellowing @ 7, 8 weeks. been running a super soil mix from day 1. learned how it's done on the threads here@ IC. never bought any bottled nutes, just the super soil and act teas.
getting where i pretty much use no bagged dirt, using my compost, dirt from local river bottoms and prairies. still buying EWC, but may pop off a little worm farm.
just started using insect frass, it makes the tea smell good enough to drink, seriously...
supersoils alright by me
supersoil is the way it should be.
plant that bell and let it ring.

Neo 420

Veteran
hey!

yep, i used 2 heaping tbsp with two 1.5cu ft bags of roots.

regarding ewc...i actually used around 18-20lbs of castings...

what i am figuring out first hand is that you dont have to be precise....a little of this little of that...i will prolly step up on the dolomite lime next time but i have had NO issues with ph at all...plants healthy....almost too healthy. i want them to be fading more at 7 weeks. i may have used too much SS, im not sure. but def no ph probs...

check out my journal below!

Personally I wold go without the lime. Specially if you are using it for PH. Let the microbes do it work. Use humus do the work. EWC and compost.....

Hey budman, Nice grow! I mixed up a batch of supersoil this spring and grew some bag seed in 20 gallon smarties outdoors without any expectations,and holy shit was I surprised!
Now I want to learn as much @ organic gardening as I can for I have seen the light! My question to you is how big (height and width) did those plants finish in 5 gallon smarties indoors?

budman678

Veteran
They are about three feet high. Some a touch taller. The SS have been just such a breeze.this has been the easiest grow I have done. Simply water when thirsty. Sooooo easy

The end result looks superb in many different ways. Frostier smellier and more colorful. I am sold. Now we see if everything tastes better

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
what kind of water are you using?

Any testing with organic bloom boosters early in flower or does your mix handle all the boosting your girls need? I have a few super soil mixes that I will be cooking for awhile and wondering what others are doing for any boosters if any are even needed?

Looks great and got to love the only giving them water deal. I am setting up my earth worm bins so I can do my own castings and tea mixes but really need to look into the sucanat because I have only tested molasses and would love to see how it compares.

great pics brother

budman678

Veteran
what kind of water are you using?

Any testing with organic bloom boosters early in flower or does your mix handle all the boosting your girls need? I have a few super soil mixes that I will be cooking for awhile and wondering what others are doing for any boosters if any are even needed?

Looks great and got to love the only giving them water deal. I am setting up my earth worm bins so I can do my own castings and tea mixes but really need to look into the sucanat because I have only tested molasses and would love to see how it compares.

great pics brother

i have a hydrologic tall boy with carbon filter. it filters all sediment and most chlorine and chloramine. I dont bubble the water at all. i have three 5gall buckets. I fill them all up each time and that is enough water for 7-10 days.

i supplemented with ewc/sugar tea on day 25/35/45 and besides that its been only water....

my plants are fucking beautiful. and so frosty stinky.

i cook for at least 6 weeks. all is well my bros

D

DJXXPLATINUM

SUP BUDMAN....YOU GOT ME CURIOUS...AM USING THE VERTICLE.COCO/PERLITE, KISS METHOD PLUS GUANO TWICE IN FLOWER....AND ITS KEEPS GETN BETTER.....
AM GONNA MIX UP PHILLTHYS VERSION.... FFOF,PROMIX,BONE,BLOOD,LIME...DATS IT AND IF YOU LOOK AT HIS THREADS...HE IS KILLIN IT....YOUR GROW LOOKD PRETTY AWESOME TOO......GONNA USE SOME AUTOMATED WATERING SYSTEM WITH THE SUPER SOIL MIX.....NAME IT THE "CRUISE CONTROL METHOD"...DJ

Latest posts

Latest posts