What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My solution to root rot: Stress Zyme

bs0

*edit*

I have changed my mind and can not recommend something that i can't explain exactly how or why it works outside of experience. I'm going to look more into this and continue my testing.

Airnut

Great knowledge..

Is it a onetime treatment only? And only when new water comes in the reservoir?

One capfull to how much..

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
The comments say it stinks, and it is not made for this purpose. Are you going to follow up with grow data and photo's, and an eval of the smoke, and if it is safe to eat? I Do not know if this is bad or good, but we need to know it's consumption implications to know if it is safe for this use.

I will give you a better method, proven for four years here. Fill a bucket with cold tap water, with the chlorine still in it. Take your clone/seedling, and gently dip the roots thrice, then with clean hands gently touch the roots to loosen any organic debris, dip again and transplant. If you have any rrot or damage started, massage the area till only healthy roots remain. I do this with all plants at clone transplant, and every move up until flower. By preventing rrot from starting, or nipping it in the bud, rrot has been eliminated, and I have eaten the herb for years. I consider this to be better, because no extra chems, no cost, and it bloody works like a charm.
H

Indonesia

you can also get rid of root rot problems cooling your rez or by adding enough DO to your rez. airpumps and airstones will outlast a bottle of enzymes.

bs0

The comments say it stinks, and it is not made for this purpose. Are you going to follow up with grow data and photo's, and an eval of the smoke, and if it is safe to eat? I Do not know if this is bad or good, but we need to know it's consumption implications to know if it is safe for this use.

I will give you a better method, proven for four years here. Fill a bucket with cold tap water, with the chlorine still in it. Take your clone/seedling, and gently dip the roots thrice, then with clean hands gently touch the roots to loosen any organic debris, dip again and transplant. If you have any rrot or damage started, massage the area till only healthy roots remain. I do this with all plants at clone transplant, and every move up until flower. By preventing rrot from starting, or nipping it in the bud, rrot has been eliminated, and I have eaten the herb for years. I consider this to be better, because no extra chems, no cost, and it bloody works like a charm.
H

I've been smoking plants where i used it for quite some time. It doesn't 'smell' at all.

The fact is, it was made for this exact purpose: to aid in biological filtration (hydroponics are *very* similar to tropical fishkeeping). In your reservoir there will always be some amount of organic waste (like a fishtank), if *something* dosen't eat the waste then it builds up. In my case, the first bacteria to sneak into the res were *not* beneficial, and were just as happy eating my roots as they were eating the wastes.

If you never fully clean out your res (never bleach it, etc) you won't have to add bene's because they already are chilling in your pump filter. If you do a full teardown and bleachfest (I do) then the bacteria needs to re-establish itself every time you clean.

I find that with a capful of this with each initial reservoir fill I have completely stopped my root-rot and 'slime' issues.

Outside of this, I can't name exactly what a 'beneficial' bacteria is, and I'm not going to drink the stuff. My fish used to drink and breathe it all the time and it seemed to improve their health.

I've been using it now for a full year, but I don't see how grow photos or data would help. The smoke is just as sweet as I've ever tasted (full botanicare organic regimen, PBP:B, Cal Mag, L. Karma, Sweet, Clearex). In that year the only difference I see is that I *never* see slime or root rot anymore. I haven't even changed cloner water for like 2 months and its still just chugging away.

I do understand your skepticism though, 'bacteria' has a lot of negative connotations these days. I offer no 'proof', but I know that my saltwater tank water parameters were FAR more stringent than :dance013:hydro params and I used it there to great effect as well.

http://www.myvits.com/product/8fab02a9-b98f-448c-b50e-2662f0d4b1b4.aspx offers a breakdown of ingredients.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=1020004 seems to indicate it's benign, but anytime you read a MSDS you think that you are dealing with radioactive isotopes :)

:dance013:

I also offer this, the health and safety post for a 10-15-10 fertilizer:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19020081

Their take on the fertilizer was FAR worse than the stress zyme.

bs0

you can also get rid of root rot problems cooling your rez or by adding enough DO to your rez. airpumps and airstones will outlast a bottle of enzymes.

A 9.99 bottle lasts me over a year. I grow aero so there is always a lot of DO. Chillers are DAMN expensive to purchase and run.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
OK, you have used this and it worked well, and you found no hazard with it, sounds good and I have no issue with that. Our standards are food grade edible product as a goal, you have not confirmed that. I am an asshole, not a fish, dig?

You may be doing hydro growers a solid by bringing this to our attention, that is what I am trying to figure out. We don't accept fish product as hydro, until they are proven safe, and most are I think. We need to know what is in it, just saying bennys don't cut it.

I also do a full clean out, hot bleach water overnight soak, then let the fresh chlorinated water age out for two days before start up. By starting clean. and putting plants with clean roots in, I do not need your product, so I ain't askin for me. Just looking to be sure it is not a problem.

MD84

i added this API stress zyme to my dwc res when setting up the other week. My roots seem to really be struggling since poking out of the net pots. Would too much of this stuff in the res cause root rot?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

After years of successful hydro grows I have struggled with RR for my last 3 grows. None more frustrating then my current grow with 3 plants in THE SAME BUBBLER, but one got a bad case of RR, and one not as bad but went into a wilt that it has yet to recover from

Using a 4 head air pump with 4 sintered stones running 24/7 and I am using enzymes :dunno:

Been taking them out and soaking in h2O2 many times a day, which has worked

The plant in the upper left was huge so I moved her to my F & D with fresh nutes, but in less than 24 hours she severely wilted to the point that I put her back in the bubbler, then after 24 hours of zero response I cut off a lot of primary leafs that were not recovering, and pulling valuable resources from the smaller leafs. See started recovering yesterday morning. Maybe the F & D pump had something in it that came back to life after rehydrating. Will be diligent to run pumps in h202 prior to reusing, but that still doesn't account for 2/3 plants in the same bubbler getting RR

The plant in the middle semi-wilted BUT the plant in the lower right never had an issue
:wallbash:

View attachment 495619 View attachment 495620

Latest posts

Latest posts