What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wattage and potency of the high

chusss

Hi guys, i know that with a higher watts bulb you are going to harvest bigger buds, but i was wondering, what about the potency of the high? If you grow with 400W in lets say 1m2 the powerful of the high would be minor than if you grow with 800W at the same space?

I would like to know cause im a little bit dissapointed with the potency and effects of some plants in my last growing

Last edited:

Tricko

Some of the best weed i have ever smoked was grown under a 250w hps with cooltube. You can get plants really really close to the bulb without heat issues. I do use 250w myself and i must say i get the froztiest buds of all my stoner buddies. :)

prune

Veteran
An old Detroit adage was "There's no replacement for displacement" and the same is true for bud.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Hi guys, i know that with a higher watts bulb you are going to harvest bigger buds, but i was wondering, what about the potency of the high? If you grow with 400W in lets say 1m2 the powerful of the high would be minor than if you grow with 800W at the same space?

I would like to know cause im a little bit dissapointed with the potency and effects of some plants in my last growing

My crew and i have smoked lots of pot grown with
a variety of light sources. I flower with 165w P LL
in a box in a non climate controlled warehouse.

Never ever had anyone say my shit was anything
less than close to the best ever smoked.

My thought is genetics first, environment second.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Absolutely not. Higher Wattage does not make plants more potent. You will benefit with a higher yield. As long as the light is strong enough for healthy growth potency comes for the genetics. Keeping your plants healthy is key. I could have the best genetics in the world, If I grow them poorly I will get low quality flowers at harvest.;)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think that, if anything, it's the other way round... I think that buds blasted under a massive hot hps light tend to lose a lot of their terpenes. The weed i grow under my low wattage lights in tiny cabinets is so much more aromatic and pungent than my mates who grow with bigger setups.

VG

Sunshineinabag

What about the sun?

Jammal

Light intensity absolutely effects potency, I'm a little surprised by the responses, I guess some people just follow the herd and don't push things to the limits.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Light intensity absolutely effects potency, I'm a little surprised by the responses, I guess some people just follow the herd and don't push things to the limits.

As long as the light used can grow plants to full potential using higher wattage wont effect THC%. 400w vs 800w how much improvement in THC% you could measure would be negligible. THC% run to run isn't a constant value, it varies all the time. Keeping plants healthy will effect THC allot more. A 30% strain can drop to 15% grown poorly under 1kw lights. Having said this there is a point when lower wattage will effect THC%. If you used 200w vs 800w the THC gap would be more noticeable under these conditions. I don't use HPS any longer, I swapped out to CMH long ago do to the increase in all areas.

Last edited:

romanoweed

for equatorial Sativas i couple Times heard higher Power was needed to make them shine! It was a Sidenote i picked up hunting for Tripweed.

Then like mentioned in Post 12 Link: how full/equalbalanced a Light is was more important for the measured OGKush-Haze. But i heard People doubling Intensity did the Trick for better Effect of equatorial Landrace.

I always praise the Metalhalyde Lamps for a prettty fullSpectrum, but even better PlasmaLamps.

If you want euphoric Landraceweed, it seems interesting to look into FULLSPECTUM and STRONG Lights. Like equatorial Sun..

I grow guerilla, sometimes hard conditions. Had some Plants in very shady Spot.. They didnt grow past one Foot high in one Summer. Seeing this shows that Light is what Cannabis needs to a high Degree. But how much?

Jammal

As long as the light used can grow plants to full potential using higher wattage wont effect THC%. 400w vs 800w how much improvement in THC% you could measure would be negligible. THC% run to run isn't a constant value, it varies all the time. Keeping plants healthy will effect THC allot more. A 30% strain can drop to 15% grown poorly under 1kw lights. Having said this there is a point when lower wattage will effect THC%. If you used 200w vs 800w the THC gap would be more noticeable under these conditions. I don't use HPS any longer, I swapped out to CMH long ago do to the increase in all areas.

THC is not the only factor in potency.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THC is not the only factor in potency.

Yes there are many Cannabinoids that can enhance the effects. Higher wattage bulbs=heat... Look at LED we can use half the wattage with the same results as HID bulbs. Higher Wattage isn't that important as people think. That is the info the OP is looking for.

hyposomniac

Does increasing light eventually make your buds too large and dense, to where they lower the surface area to mass ratio enough to affect the potency, compared to the same plant groqn less densely under smaller lights, with more surface area per gram. More surface area = more trichome.

Jammal

Yes there are many Cannabinoids that can enhance the effects. Higher wattage bulbs=heat... Look at LED we can use half the wattage with the same results as HID bulbs. Higher Wattage isn't that important as people think. That is the info the OP is looking for.

light intensity that reaches the total surface area of plant material would be more correct, The WATTAGE of the lights is less important,My most potent growing has been done with low wattage bulbs closer to the plants in micro settings.