What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

capabilities and limitations of a drug sniffing k9

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
can a drug sniffing k9 smell through water? ex. if you had a brick at the bottom of a swimming pool could a k9 smell it ?

shithawk420

Veteran
That's a good question.I seriously doubt a dog could smell less than a pound.twenty pounds I don't know.I'd be interested to know the answer too.obviously it would have to be waterproof.

Phagoos

Instead of having one source just make sure to distribute the smell by adding (fine) shredded leaf matter all over your property.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
k9 can smell - the water, the chlorine, the salts, the towels, the discarded diaper , the rib bone on the fence, the tennis ball .... and the weed at the bottom of the pool

dogs noses are like our eyes.

dogs dont smell the burger at your picnic - he smells the charcoal, bun , the lettuce tomato and onion , the condiments and pickle - as well as the ground beef

this is why theres a clean as possible/dirty vac and a clean vac when shipping/transporting

St. Phatty

k9 can smell - the water, the chlorine, the salts, the towels, the discarded diaper , the rib bone on the fence, the tennis ball .... and the weed at the bottom of the pool

dogs noses are like our eyes.

dogs dont smell the burger at your picnic - he smells the charcoal, bun , the lettuce tomato and onion , the condiments and pickle - as well as the ground beef

this is why theres a clean as possible/dirty vac and a clean vac when shipping/transporting

Does it help if the encounter with the K9 occurs when it's raining or right after some rain ?

Agreed, the little pooches can detect vapors and smells in surprisingly small amounts.

I think it might be easier for them if the air is still or moving slowly.
but when rain washes that out of the air ? I wonder.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if it is vacuum sealed, and the package is still in vacuum and was never touched by smelly hands on the outside, maaayybe not. someone needs to train their dog to detect pot and see just what they CAN detect. hey, i got a hound with a good nose...:)

Phagoos

The smell will permeate through everything but it takes time. The trick is to pack and wrap it as late as possible for transport. The time starts ticking as soon as it is packed.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
keep the package up as high as possible if driving..there's a vid out by ex trooper he said he's never made a bust when pot was baked into something...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
some dogs are better than others ..a good dog is hard to fool.. the dog they brought into my pad 16 years ago didn't find my ceiling stash ,didn't even hit on it... yeehaw..cross contamination is most peoples undoing.. just a tiny bit of scent will ruin your day.. a very tiny bit...keep packaging material way far away from any weed .. I used to keep mine in a car trunk parked out back in my yard..take shower ,wash hands iso ,change clothes a bunch of other small shit.. then package in a sterile area ..or somewhere there isn't a chance of cross contamination..i did mine outside under my deck...shipped stuff for 5 years .. not one lost...

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Triple bag with Mylar bag heat sealer.

Change your rubber gloves between each seal.

Bathe outside of each bag in alcohol wearing fresh set of gloves each time. Wash your rubber gloves in the alcohol bath each time.

With perfectly non contaminated gloves put it where it needs to be.

Underground parking garages have cool temps and have all kinds of great gaps, nooks, and crannies to stash at. Ride your bicycle there and walkin.

Don't do anything dumb :)

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
thanks for all the awesome info but like i said it was hypothetical and i am just curious about water and its effects on dogs smell. naturally i now wonder how much water can a dog sniff through? he couldnt smell a plane loaded with coke on the bottom of the ocean. what depth of water can a dog not smell through?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
thanks for all the awesome info but like i said it was hypothetical and i am just curious about water and its effects on dogs smell. naturally i now wonder how much water can a dog sniff through? he couldnt smell a plane loaded with coke on the bottom of the ocean. what depth of water can a dog not smell through?

i know that trained cadaver dogs have detected drowning victims down about 15 or 20 feet, but...they were not triple vacuum sealed either.:biggrin:

WelderDan

Veteran
When I was in high school, we had an assembly in the gym. Totally random, mandatory attendance. We were all seated on the floor, and the Principal introduced us to Johnny Law and his amazing drug sniffing dog. Johnny assured us that the dog could smell a single seed hidden inside a bar of soap, so if we had any contraband, we better cough it up.

I was wearing my favorite Levi jacket, that I had worn to the ZZ TOP concert the night before. It reeked of weed fpr sure. In my pocket was a half a gram of hash, and in another pocket was my trusty knife, with a nice gob of hash along the edge from me cutting up said hash. Plus we had been burning joints before school, and at break earlier.

This dog walked up to me, sniffed me, and moved on down the line. I know for a fact I wasn't the only person holding, and no one got singled out. No one.

That dog must have sucked. Dogs have an amazing sense of smell, I know this, but how a trained drug dog missed HASH, I have no clue.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
The last time I flew, security had one of the most obviously nontrained dogs ever. It was literally going from person-to-person and asking for a treat. People in the security line we were all cracking up at how obvious it was just yard dog. ymmv

shithawk420

Veteran
I have no doubt some dogs are very gifted in sniffing out drugs ,bodies,whatever.but I think most dogs are very overestimated or confused by the handlers who they themselves are trained to give dogs false hits on a vehicle just so they have an excuse to search without a warrant. just the way I see it anyway.