What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The True Origin of G13

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Does anyone out there really know? I did my masters thesis in graduate school on Cannabis and studied the Mississipi reseach project extensively. I reviewed other studies that attempted to maniputlate the thc levels in cannabis, and the suggestion that a cutting escaped from the lab violates reason and logic for anyone that has actually studied their experimentation.

It is categorically false in every sense to assert that this could be the origin. ALL cannabis grown by MSU was terribly inferior with 2% levels of Thc. Any cutting from the govt program would have been crap, just as it is today. Researchers that get permission to study cannabis complain about the quality of their samples.

What is the real story? Where did it first appear and wonder what the genetics are?

A story to sell weed who'd of thought it! seems the story's gone full circle now and the cut Dr G sells seems to have increased vigour etc etc.... stories stories... as to where it first appeared etc the story is vague to say the least... I think SamS is also quoted as saying it didn't come via the lab.. as he asked dr name evades me now (the man who wrote a book). Anyway it seems it was the same then as it is now stories sell things!.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

164.jpg

Tuhder

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
164.jpg

:bigeye:

MPL

MSU is Mississippi State University.

The University of Mississippi, where they grow the weed, is UM.

UM = Ole Miss.

MSU has nothing to do with the marijuana at Ole Miss.

In fact MSU and Ole Miss are bitter rivals.

Where did you do your graduate studies and where did you publish your work? I'd be interested in reading it. I have full access to academic journals in every discipline.

Does anyone out there really know? I did my masters thesis in graduate school on Cannabis and studied the Mississipi reseach project extensively. I reviewed other studies that attempted to maniputlate the thc levels in cannabis, and the suggestion that a cutting escaped from the lab violates reason and logic for anyone that has actually studied their experimentation.

It is categorically false in every sense to assert that this could be the origin. ALL cannabis grown by MSU was terribly inferior with 2% levels of Thc. Any cutting from the govt program would have been crap, just as it is today. Researchers that get permission to study cannabis complain about the quality of their samples.

What is the real story? Where did it first appear and wonder what the genetics are?

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
AK-47 Afghani/Kush-47 day flowering?

So many back stories on so many strains,.... and so many strains that are exactly the same as X,Y or Z strain,.....

I've got a supposedly G-13xHashplant that grows smells and smokes almost identical to my supposed AK-47 cut? (both dispensary clones so who really F'n knows)

Same with my dispensary bought Blueberry, and Chemdog,.... can't tell the F'n difference in those two, I'm certain they're one and the same.

At least so far everything I've done from seed has been unique and different from anything else in my garden or from a dispensary.

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
AK-47 Afghani/Kush-47 day flowering?

So many back stories on so many strains,.... and so many strains that are exactly the same as X,Y or Z strain,.....

I've got a supposedly G-13xHashplant that grows smells and smokes almost identical to my supposed AK-47 cut? (both dispensary clones so who really F'n knows)

Same with my dispensary bought Blueberry, and Chemdog,.... can't tell the F'n difference in those two, I'm certain they're one and the same.

At least so far everything I've done from seed has been unique and different from anything else in my garden or from a dispensary.

sounds like a shitty dispensary

zenoonez

Veteran
Nevil said that he purchased the clone in Oregon and paid $500 in 86/87?.
End of the story :)

Do you have any source for this? Not to be a citation snob but it is the first I have heard of this take on the origin...

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
MSU is Mississippi State University.

The University of Mississippi, where they grow the weed, is UM.

UM = Ole Miss.

MSU has nothing to do with the marijuana at Ole Miss.

In fact MSU and Ole Miss are bitter rivals.

Where did you do your graduate studies and where did you publish your work? I'd be interested in reading it. I have full access to academic journals in every discipline.

You may be right, i apologize for mixing up my abbreviations. I graduated in 84, so its been sometime since i reviewed the literature.
The conclulions they arrived at howerver, are not disputable.

I did my graduate studies at the University of Kentucky for my masters degree in biology. The study was available in the medical liabrary and was a stand alone study that wasnt included as part of a periodical, although it may exist in one somewhere. The study is available im sure at any advanced medical library and perhaps on line somewhere.

I did the study as a requirement for a 700 psychology class called "Theoretical Perspectives of Deviant Behavior in Dependent Personalities"

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Nevil said that he purchased the clone in Oregon and paid $500 in 86/87?.
End of the story :)

Neville may have purchased a clone in Oregon, but that isnt where the strain originated and its 7-8 years after i first smoked "G-13" in Biloxi Missisippi in the summer of 1980. A college friend was growing a small crop of it and it was he first time i heard the mississippi "G-13" story. The weed was very good and inspired my choice to review the mississipi research work. I was dissapointed at what i read which raised my doubts that the strain he was growing actually originated from the research samples.

bagend12

Actually the story about G13 coming from a gov't lab is true. My brothers friends uncle by way of his 3rd wife is the guy who liberated it.... ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts