What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VERTICAL cilindar how far away from bulb

elito

im building a vertical cilindricaly shaped hydro setup inspired by heath,can anyone give me advice on how far away do the plants need to be in a vertical system,il be using 600w aircooled hps,i wana use 4 in a 2m high circul,what diametar does it need to be ,is 30cm from the topof the plants too far when they are fully grown couse thats about the distance i keep em in a regular flat grow

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
no i would say 30 cm is not too far for a 600. you want a decent distance away in order to get a decent radius for the vertical. if you had em too close your making too small of a radius and not efficiently using the available light. good luck

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, elito! the light flow needed for max photosynthesis in cannabis is 1500 umol's, according to the university of mississippi.

i have a quantum meter and i use 1K hortilux hps lamps in cool tubes.

the distance for me with my lamp to achieve 1500 umol's is 16.5" or 41.9 cm. adding that this distance is from the center axis of the bulb.

i have never measured a 600 watt light but based on my figures i would think somewhere around 12" or 30 cm would be good.

d9

Greeco

If you go to google and search cali grower foot candle chart it will help you out a lot. He also wrote a good thread on how to calculate light intensity. I don't think we are supposed to post links on here or I would post it for ya. Hope this helps

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Check out Major Cottonmouth's threads. He's using 1K up top, 400w below and the screen looks no bigger than ~18" diameter.