What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sunflowers in full bloom

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
gotta love those flowers wm,
so many variations too ,

to me it looks as though they have faces ...

i have planted a bunch for my bees , i m sure they will like them as much and even more than i do ...

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
surprised me that, onion flowers attracted more bumblebees, and bees than some colorful petals
as long as onoins had fresh flowers they were collecting it all day

(it is only me, i see a heart shape in the first posts picture :DD)

Gry

I see the heart also. Man the pictures, they take the cake ! Neat as can be.
Buzzmobile, that one plant was something else.
All of the pictures were just plain amazing.
Just had a handful of plants the past couple of years
as a result of a bird feeder. Sure has been good pulling
seed from them for the squirrels and the next year.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
i am not sure when are the seeds ready to save for next year. i usually let them as long as possible on stem, and i put a potato sack on the heads to prevent birds to eat all

From a mix of what i have read and prior experience, the seeds are ready when they get the black striping.

For example....this head came down too soon. Some seeds are still just slightly soft and they are mostly white or with very little striping.

picture.php

This next head was ready...nice dark striping.

picture.php
picture.php

It certainly cant hurt too leave them up longer as long as the birds and critters dont get t0 them or they fall over and lay on the ground. I dont have a breezy cool and dry place to dry the heads whole so i pluck out the seeds a few days after harvest.

Cvh

Supermod
This is my Giant Sunflower from this year. Not sure what exact variety it is. But it's from the giant sunflower family.
About 1,50m - 1,60m now.
fetch

St. Phatty

This is my Giant Sunflower from this year. Not sure what exact variety it is. But it's from the giant sunflower family.
About 1,50m - 1,60m now.
fetch

I planted several hundred, maybe more.

But the birds ate most of them. Now I'm watering the few that made it.

They will probably end up being deer food.