What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do about really low humidity?

tilopa

I live in an area where the summers are hot, 100f+, and very dry. Currently my grow room is showing 20% humidity, with lights off. It's a little better at night as the humidity rises but with the AC running it lowers the humidity from what it is outside, so it is still in the 30s.

Wondering what to do about it. I've only seen those little walmart humidifiers, and not sure where I would put it in the room.

Anyone else have a low humidity problem, and what is your solution?

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Check with UncleFishstick or his thread. He deals with ultra low humidity all the time, sometimes in single digits and he doesn't seem to have any issues.

troutman

Seed Whore
Shallow trays filled with water and a fan blowing on them should help. :tiphat:

In the past, I have hung a moist towel in the room and kept wetting it as it dries.

Fixer

If it's an option grow more plants. I thought I had a low RH issue until I got 24 plants growing in my veg room. Now I'm running a second dehumidifier. :tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If it's an option grow more plants. I thought I had a low RH issue until I got 24 plants growing in my veg room. Now I'm running a second dehumidifier. :tiphat:

On point reply.

In case one is stuck with low plant count, a low rent method
is a clean water soaked, squeezed towel draped on a rod in the space.

MoS

If you can afford it, as you mention a humidifier, well worth the investment, and if possible place in on the floor or some sort of shelf eg. with a fan blowing behind it, if the space is there of course...

tilopa

Thanks for all those ideas.

I can't really fit anymore plants in the room. And it's pretty crowded in there to put a pan of water on the floor.

The hanging towel is an interesting idea. But then I would have to make sure to wet it when it is dry.

I think I have to shell out the money and buy one of those expensive ones that are connected to a continuous water source and mount it on the wall. And then in the winter I'll have to replace it for a dehumidifier. Indoor is a pain. :bashhead:

I've heard a few people say they have low humidity and it does not seem to bother the plants. But everything I've read says that too low is bad. The plant has to transpire more often and it could lead to nute toxicity, not to mention extra stress on the plant.

Fixer

Thanks for all those ideas.

I've heard a few people say they have low humidity and it does not seem to bother the plants. But everything I've read says that too low is bad. The plant has to transpire more often and it could lead to nute toxicity, not to mention extra stress on the plant.

I often have my RH down in the low 50% range and it doesn't seem to bother the plants. You may need to adjust yours. I've attached a Vapor Pressure Deficit chart.

Attachments

• VPD Chart.jpg
    VPD Chart.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38

Lightmeup209639

Anyone else have a low humidity problem, and what is your solution?[/quote]

respird.webp

Plant needs energy for growth, transport and maintenance of vital functions as animals do. To get the energy required, they oxidize (i.e. burn the photosynthetically fixed sugars). At the same time, water and carbon dioxide are released as waste products. Respiration occurs in all living plant parts (i.e. in the leaves, trunk and roots).
https://www.hiilipuu.fi/articles/plant-respiration
University of Helsinki.

kritios

Could use a pebble tray. Use clean stones, and keep it topped up with water.

I found using a tray added about 10-15% to the ambient humidity in my tent.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Wet wall/evaporative cooler, same concept as a swamp cooler. Water trickles through a cellulose pad, a fan draws air through the pad moistening it. It will also provide cooling as it humidifies the air, same way a human cools down by sweating.

This is the solution for commercial greenhouses but can be implemented on any scale.

Latest posts

Latest posts