What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potatoes

Littleleaf

Veteran
and the regular potatoes from the store wont sprout eyes this year. I've used them last year and all grew. Not this year.

djav59

Really ? I'm trying to sprout some fingerlings from the store now .
This news is highly suspicious and disturbing.

Sign

I saved some to replant from last year, but with what's going on I decided to run more so stopped eating what I grew to allow them all to sprout. Then i thought that's still not enough so started looking online and I saw what op saw too. Every site I found sold out of every type. Then I called around the local stores, big box, feed, everything I could think of. None.

I also replant store potatoes as a normal thing so I'm not concerned. Get bags from the store and put them in a lit, warm place and they'll start to chit. I don't know if they will chit in time for a main crop but if you start a late crop, plant them closer together and wait till the end of the year you will have many smaller potatoes with a max dormant period ready for next year.

I've read all about how store potatoes are treated, are diseased etc but over the years I've never had problems doing this from the potatoes I've personally bought, ymmv I guess

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All the major garden seed catalogs, eBay has veggie seeds. Maybe not local, but plentiful out in the www.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Google any nursery/garden company.....I've not seen any shortages. In fact State Extension service has seeds. Sheesh....seeds are plentiful....find it hard to believe there are not seeds available.

Belonged to a Seed Sharing Coop in Iowa (year before last sent in some NM chile pepper seeds from indigenous Pueblos)...heirlooms.....ALL, ALL garden supply seed stores have seeds!

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Mine are breaking soil :woohoo:

Sprouted from grocery store potatoes, cut into pieces- got 21 to sprout, planning to hit them with some nitrogen feed soon as they’re all up and standing

Cmoon

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Sprouted from grocery store potatoes
[/FONT]
mine are heirlooms from home bargins and a carrier bag full of what i thought was chinese bean sprouts next doors chucked over:dance013:

Green Squall

Mine are breaking soil :woohoo:

Sprouted from grocery store potatoes, cut into pieces- got 21 to sprout, planning to hit them with some nitrogen feed soon as they’re all up and standing

Potato bagseed lol. Everyone told me not to use store bought spuds, but they came out great!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might do this for the year, sweet potatoes; they aren't a nightshade veggie.

Attachments

• 5d4535cfce213a86099171833e3f30eb.jpg
    5d4535cfce213a86099171833e3f30eb.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 41