Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Diy steel hoop house.

Thread Title Search
Diy steel hoop house. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM #151
redlaser

redlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant future
Wiggle wire channel has no bend to it, would need to cut it into short lengths and attach those to an end wall
redlaser is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:28 PM #152
gaiusmarius

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
What water filter are you referring to? I don't think There are any water filters shown in those pictures. That blue thing is a fertilizer doser and it's right side up.
oh i see, looks a bit like the housing for some kind of particle filter to stop the clogging of irrigation lines. so that thing dispense fert to the water? powder ferts? what about the ph? is it mechanical or computerized? interesting stuff.
gaiusmarius is offline Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 10:51 PM #153
Zeez

Zeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser View Post
Wiggle wire channel has no bend to it, would need to cut it into short lengths and attach those to an end wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico _El_Guapo View Post
If code allows, check out foundation screws, I think one of the brands is pilex or something. You just screw them in with a heavy duty hammer drill, save some dry time and possibly a lot of labor
Appreciate the help. I had one of those tent type garages, kind of like a hoop house, go airborne and end up in the trees, What a mess! I'm not too hung upon code but finally learned that overkill is my friend.

If the wiggle wire channels don't bend to the end hoops, Is it better to go with the cover clips on the ends and use wiggle wire on the base boards?
Zeez is offline Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 AM #154
flyontoast

flyontoast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeez View Post
Appreciate the help. I had one of those tent type garages, kind of like a hoop house, go airborne and end up in the trees, What a mess! I'm not too hung upon code but finally learned that overkill is my friend.
This happened about 2 weeks ago in a wind storm. Was using one of those greenhouse/car canopy to temporarily protect some equipment and it flew over 200ft to find the tomato house...

flyontoast is offline Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 AM #155
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
That's not true. The channel bends really easily to the hoops. I have channel on all my end hoops.

You can just concrete the end hoop posts and a few others, depending on what you're of ground you have, you don't really need to concrete at all. You can just bang the posts into the ground and the wood greenhouse base screws to it. The base will stop the posts from sinking. Both the greenhouses shown in this thread have no concrete and haven't moved an inch years later.

But it depends what your ground is like
CrushnYuba is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 AM #156
Zeez

Zeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond reputeZeez has a reputation beyond repute
That really sucks. Difficult to fix this time of year. My brother had one end up on the neighbors roof. The neighbor was all pissed off. It still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyontoast View Post
This happened about 2 weeks ago in a wind storm. Was using one of those greenhouse/car canopy to temporarily protect some equipment and it flew over 200ft to find the tomato house...
View Image
View Image
Zeez is offline Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 AM #157
Rico _El_Guapo

Rico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the rough
So what gives on anchoring the build.

Frost line is 4’, on average so that’s the outcome?

I’d strongly recommend the screwdriver post method before anything else,

As posted earlier you don’t want to have some jimmy rigged ASAP structure protecting things

If you and flyontoast could organize something that would be epic
Rico _El_Guapo is offline Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM #158
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
Rico: don't overthink anchoring. If you don't use concrete, you don't need to worry about frost line. If you just use steel pipe driven into the ground a couple feet there is no issue. Then you attach each hoop to the pipe.
Steel pipe can't heave from frost because it's smooth. Concrete heaves because it's rough and expanding and contracting soil can grab on to it.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM #159
flyontoast

flyontoast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico _El_Guapo View Post
So what gives on anchoring the build.

Frost line is 4’, on average so that’s the outcome?

I’d strongly recommend the screwdriver post method before anything else,

As posted earlier you don’t want to have some jimmy rigged ASAP structure protecting things

If you and flyontoast could organize something that would be epic
If you did go concrete, here are the recommendations from Harnois. They are a pre-green rush GH company that is extremely well respected in Canada.
I'm actually setting up a new temporary nursery for the veggie farm, only about 18x20ft, and I'll look into those screws since I don't want to pour concrete for a temp structure, but as show before, I can't have another GH blowing away lol.

flyontoast is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 PM #160
CrushnYuba

I promise of you drive the posts into the ground, like i showed above and bolt it through the hoop, ground post and wood, there is no amount of wind that will pull it up other then a hurricane.

60mph winds won't even begin to do anything to it. I have had greenhouses sitting on mountain tops that get 60mph winds every year.. Each hoop bolted to a post that is 3 feet in the ground on both sides... What is going to pull that up?