What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo420

23043Just_a_little_somethin_for_a_rainy_day_.jpg

LOL... I was pissed off when they changed the currency over to the new styles... made all my old stashes a little conspicuous when spent so I had to go on a shopping spree :D

Are you worried about the mint changing the design? The old bills are pulled out of circulation pretty quick it seems like so the old ones stand out.

G

o shit, thats a lotta cash.

i'm pretty sure about 10 homeless men from nyc could live IN that.....

how the hell do you move that?!?

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:biglaugh: yeah, I wishhhhhhhhh (was mine) :biglaugh:

Saved that pic because never have seen such a thing (seized from Mexico cartel leaders house)......was about 50% of total he had....that pic is about 170 million , all 100's :smoke:) Total was prob 300M.......

pumpkin2006

OMFG I saved that pic, thats so insane. I would have a heart-attack just thinking about keeping it safe. Please tell me that was in a giant safe...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
irishSoCo said:
i'm pretty sure about 10 homeless men from nyc could live IN that.....

Fuck man.....for all we know, there are :biglaugh:

(mexican's though......:biglaugh: not racist.....it's in Mexico :biglaugh:)

G

what about homeless men from NYC >>ON VACATION in mexico...........think about it.........but really don't......i don't wanna hijack the thread with my random cash pile comment

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Eh, that's okay man, because all related whether most realize or not :biglaugh:

I needed a hash break......(I'm lying, really, I needed a wheat break :biglaugh: I don't know anything about this stuff :biglaugh: just pretending :biglaugh:)

Let's get back to discussing wheat....err......green :biglaugh:

:smoke:

pakalolo420

I love the way you've blended your plants into the native growth in your gallery pics... very similar to how I prefer to. If done with some art, people can literally walk right by them and not see them, never mind aerial scouting.

Nice. :bandit:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back to business.........

So, of course, I'll take this time to state what I have on many occasions prior, without reservation.....

I consider many, many more knowledgeable than I....never claim to be an encyclopedia of botany, nor ever have.......(this is going somewhere of use to many, especially newer growers......), and, such sites truly a wealth of operational knowledge.......and, I think underrated...(I always recommend to newbies to just forget the posting....just read.........the amount of knowledge that one could gain from just a single day reading through thread would multiply their knowledge by 100 fold....

(My true recommendation to people in real life is to bypass sites, and, grab every book in their budget, read, re read, and then go on sites to clarify any of their questions, and continue their knowledge)

Now, the reason I say this is because of course a book presents the subject in sequence, from square one, without random off topic posts and such...etc), and, by the time one finishes, they have a decent overview...

The reason I recommend all books one can grab is because different books will provide a different perspective, and, the same topics, but presented in a different way....

That being said (I told ya it was going somewhere)...I'm not a botanist...I'm not a scientist.....the point is:
You don't have to be.....

Many times over the years I have trained people (in real life), and, they are fine, frankly, until they start to "learn more" (interestingly enough...yes...as they learn more, they become less efficient and effective....sometimes completely ineffective....)....

I don't know how to select a mother...I don't know what are the desired traits regarding selection.....I do not know the biological explanations nor can I chart all processes which take place during a life cycle.....

But I can turn out up to 4000 a week if I go full force.... :smoke:

So.....what do you want to do? :smoke:

Experience is not overrated, and, on a different note, I think the spiritual angle......and, yes, I believe there to be a spiritual angle, several actually, but, the most important being.....do you "get it".......

I've seen countless growers........they might kick out a couple of batches here and there, but, in the end....they don't continue....they just don'
t "get the hang of it".....like many other things......music good example.......instruments...playing....

2 individuals can start at the same point, and proceed on identical courses....one ends up a factory worker.....the other ends up Steve Vai :smoke:.....(a good analogy I think..) and, the unfortunate truth is there is just no teaching "the feel"....

You can't read about it......you can't "learn" it.......either you have it, or you don't......

If someone were to ask me what my nute measurements were (liquid, hydro, or, even prepping in soil...) I would not be able to answer, because I start my feeds low, watch where it goes, and, push until shows signs of a little burn and then I pull back....

All different strains have different diets, as they also do in different phases of growth (seed/clone, early veg, veg, early flower...etc...), so...while some may have problems and issues, sometimes simply a metter of they assumed the diet they were feeding one run (their first, second, etc) is a general diet applicable to all plants, and, are unable to simply "tell" what is needed by what they see....

"being in tune with the plant".....

(I know, I know...I have a pic of some clones where a couple have tips burned...because as above, I push, then pull back......)

So...growing?....of course one wants to be as knowledgeable as possible about any endeavor.... but...you don't need to be a complete encyclopedia in order to be extremely effective........

I'm not, and I have no desire nor the time to be, and, I might be the same..(more I learned, more inefficient and confused I might become....).....

I thought that appropriate, of use, and a valid thing to add for newer growers who might glimpse this.....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pakalolo420 said:
I love the way you've blended your plants into the native growth in your gallery pics... very similar to how I prefer to. If done with some art, people can literally walk right by them and not see them, never mind aerial scouting.

Nice. :bandit:
I can't take credit for that...it's the environment.....(green , lush, vegetation...) allows for it all the more...(actually......I didn't know if I should upload those because really, in several, I mean, you really can't even see them all...)

(We will get in those heavier spots and once whacked and opened up......one will see a big difference...truly....) When not trimmed, and, sometimes later in season again, I'm sure most can relate to walking right past them....:biglaugh:

(You of course want it opened up a little bit to help with circulation......the more opened the better, and, we also trim everything surrounding at waist and chest level for about 5 feet or so on larger plants/plots....)

(plus we don't really map any plots...we just know by landmarks and such, and, there are a lot so I wonder every season if we actually got everything or are leaving things behind.....) Can get pretty thick (native growth and weeds)...sometimes a problem......I'm going to try and get some pics of city spots (railroads, 50-100 each) which will really help also I think people's imaginations for site selections........you can stand right in front of them and not really see them.....it's pretty cool actually..(again, I always wonder if I get everything.....never absolutely sure because at a certain point, I lose count of what is where and just think of everything in terms of "spots"....)

(These are the same spots last year I had crews working within 5 ft or so on 2 occasions and they missed em..........I was sure they got em when crews working (I saw driving by one day.....)

The bigger spots....aerial....we're solid.....plots not in the open enough (most clearings are in the middle of deep woods) and, try to keep em fairly small....(no more than 100 total per spot...sometimes a lot less...depends on spots...) I only go heavier per location with numbers as they get smaller.......smaller, I increase the numbers........as long as "background" "works"......if something nearby (fence, vehicles, etc) it actually helps a lot, because of depth perception....(of course, you cannot tell how big something is, but, if something of established size to relay it to....then of course you have established a depth perception for who is observing....and, they wave it of..(ie: if near a car...they would come halfway up the car...if near a garage......1/5th up the garage,. etc...so, some things help actually to establish a perspective from the air.........

pakalolo420

Julian said:
Experience is not overrated, and, on a different note, I think the spiritual angle......and, yes, I believe there to be a spiritual angle, several actually, but, the most important being.....do you "get it".......

I've seen countless growers........they might kick out a couple of batches here and there, but, in the end....they don't continue....they just don'
t "get the hang of it".....like many other things......music good example.......instruments...playing....

2 individuals can start at the same point, and proceed on identical courses....one ends up a factory worker.....the other ends up Steve Vai :smoke:.....(a good analogy I think..) and, the unfortunate truth is there is just no teaching "the feel"....

You can't read about it......you can't "learn" it.......either you have it, or you don't......

If someone were to ask me what my nute measurements were (liquid, hydro, or, even prepping in soil...) I would not be able to answer, because I start my feeds low, watch where it goes, and, push until shows signs of a little burn and then I pull back....

All different strains have different diets, as they also do in different phases of growth (seed/clone, early veg, veg, early flower...etc...), so...while some may have problems and issues, sometimes simply a metter of they assumed the diet they were feeding one run (their first, second, etc) is a general diet applicable to all plants, and, are unable to simply "tell" what is needed by what they see....

"being in tune with the plant".....

(I know, I know...I have a pic of some clones where a couple have tips burned...because as above, I push, then pull back......)

The "feel" thing is of course what is commonly referred to as a green thumb. It seems to be to some degree innate and unlearnable. The plants are living things, the successful grower can "listen" to the plant and react instinctively. it's is a closed loop control system, a two-way conversation, a relationship really and cannot be usefully reduced to some formulaic excercise of doing a set task list in the proper order. Experience is naturally necessary but not sufficient in and of itself. I actually think the best experience you can gain is that of simply gardening, growing many different types of plants to acquire a feel. You probably won't ever learn to garden growing only one species. Growing different plants with different preferences and requirements under differing circumstances will perhaps give a useful breadth of experience to draw from.

Any person possessing that indefinable ability- a gardener- will have no trouble beautifully growing cannabis outdoors. Even if they've never done it before, even if all they know about it is that it is a tall herbaceous annual that likes sun. And conversely, the person without that innate feel will struggle to successfully grow, even after having read reams of reference material.

If you want to learn to be a grower... grow! Everything you can, anywhere you can. If you are a little lucky and find the joy in it, the muse will favor you and you will acquire the knack.

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very well said, but, I guess taking it further is that, one may very well learn all there is, and, grow varied things.....

But still never "get it"......

Meaning, of course, "knowledge".........while admirable...does in no way equate ability in many cases.......

Very well said though nonetheless.....so eloquent :smoke:

We could easily use the old peat pot debate......Many very experienced, and very knowledgeable growers would speak with great authority about how the simply "don't work" for any one of a number of very well worded reasons...Well....so much for the "experts" I suppose....:smoke:

Last edited:

Pimpslapped

Great read.

I have to agree on people claiming expertise and giving out 'Facts' that are really just opinions. You run into it everywhere and it really annoys me. I consider myself an ignorant beginner when it comes to growing. I've read a lot of stuff on forums, but have no real education in anything related to plant growth, lighting or anything else directly related to growing ganja. Yet it is EASY to do.

Seed+Dirt+Water+Light=Pot. The rest is all gravy. Was talking with a young acquaintance about growing earlier tonight. He's moving off to college and is thinking about starting a small grow... turns out he's been reading forums, etc... We talked for a while and he was just determined to make every aspect of it complicated. We're trying to grow a WEED. It wants to grow, we just have to let it.

Oh sure, getting into the details of it, building your perfect soil mix, doing a hydro setup, 1kw HPS fully decked out growbox, what have you... those are all well and good, but none of it is really NECESSARY. I've only got one grow under my belt, 3 plants of varying ages one harvested the other going soon and a third in a week or two. What did it take? Some cheap potting soil, composted manure and a couple extras for fluff. (Trying to do a semi-organic grow, goal being to go pretty much full organic/natural when I have acess to everything I want... matter of choice, not necessity). I converted a 150w HPS security light, couple computer fans... some cheapo shelving cardboard and white contact paper. Pretty? Nope. Ideal for best yield? Nope. Did I grow plants that will suit my needs? Yep. Best part is the knowledge I have gained from it.

Nothing can substitute for experience. It's amazing how simple it was when I actually got off my ass and started doing it.

I've gone through N def, Ca def, underwatering, rootbinding, etc.. pulled my plants through it all with minimal effort really. My biggest problem is not being able to spot the problems early enough. I know a lot more about preventing them and fixing them now that I've DONE it than any amount of reading prepared me for.

It's easy to see that the same basic principles scale all the way up. I know right now that I could attempt a 200 plant outdoor commercial grow and be pretty certain of having the plants survive and produce fairly well. Now finding a safe location that will keep from bringing LEO down on me... that's another story.

I don't know yet if I 'get it'. It seems easy enough, but I don't know if I really have any 'feel' for my babies yet... hard to tell if I'm right or wrong most of the time. I guess the only thing I can use as a benchmark is this: I put seeds in dirt. I have bud now. That's a win, right?

My apologies for the long, rambling post but I've got my bong in my lap right now and every time I hit it I just seem to find more things to type. I'll try and reign myself back on topic here.

This thread has given me a lot of ideas for outdoor grows, opened my eyes in some ways. I don't know if I will take the step to doing any real growing in the wild, but it has been great food for thought. Using areal views to get a second or third survey of a potential location for problems is just so simple.

Question: You mention clearing out areas with power tools (I'm assuming battery powered weedeaters, etc.. similar things). I have a hard time immagining how exactly to go about transporting to and from the location. Many of the potential spots I have considered seem to have no nearby access roads or secluded places to park. Do you just drive off the road and park the truck behind some trees? I just can't get the image out of my head of parking on the side of the road somewhere and then dragging a bunch of gear up through the woods one load at a time, people driving past and wondering what's going on. I gotta get a better mental picture.

Nematoad_Slayer

^I also have that problem...

Alot of great wooded areas around here but nowhere to park. Basily these woods just sit along the highway and go back for miles and miles. I woluld love to set up a bit larger volume, but to use these woods I really have nowhere to park...

G

hi julian & thanks ...

question for ya' ... in a large op how do you manage the time to get all the plant maintenance acomplished in order for maxing your yields?

peace :joint:

late start c-99

stealth skunks soaking up the sun

:rasta:

G

Usually you have a couple of trustworthy friends to help...it is possible for it to be too big for just one person to care for them... but it couldn't hurt to plant as many as you can.

I think "getting it" is more than just being a gardener.. I think it is directly related to desire and goals.. being motivated to make it happen. Some people have it and some dont. The biggest thing I think anyone should get out of this thread is that anyone and everyone could do this.. It's whether the individual is almost addicted to making this happen.

Most people .. maybe 80-90% of them don't have the motivation do much more than go to work at a job work whatever there boss tells them.. then go home. When they get there they value that time of leisure. The last thing on that persons mind is What else can I do to make my goals happen. Then the other 10-20% of people are driven and push themselves, some are workoholics.. but the point is they keep going and making stuff happen for themselves. now add that with someone that understands growing.. and you have a mj machine.

To me "Getting it" is just getting up from in front of a tv, pc not getting so high you fall out of your tree fort, and put effort into many of the things we all know how to do. And if you don't.. go to a bookstore and learn.

I think a big prob with growing mj.. is even though alot of these 20 percenters are growing.. their pot is so damn good they get addicted to smoking chronic and dont follow through. :)

Ie I know more men/women age 20-35 that work, own or have worked at a landscape company.. smoke and have smoked pot since they were 16 but still dont "get it" .. If anyone in the world would be better to get this done I dont know who. They have enormous amounts of experience, knowledge of tools, access to cheap materials,, a cover, determination to work in shitty conditions.. and most have grown up on land.. and know it well.

Last edited:

Pimpslapped

GorillaGrower said:
To me "Getting it" is just getting up from in front of a tv, pc not getting so high you fall out of your tree fort, and put effort into many of the things we all know how to do. And if you don't.. go to a bookstore and learn.

I tend to have serious motivation issues, without the added laziness that getting ripped on a regular basis contributes. I think I might be 'Getting it' to a degree, because I've actually become interested enough from my little halfassed grow that I'm actively working on improving my grow. Getting out and doing large outdoor grows may be beyond me, especially if I can't reach a comfort level with my knowledge/skill/luck at guerrilla activity to safely pull it off. Paranoia never hurts, since I live in the US... they ARE out to get me.

I have to say I know a few people along the lines of the landscapers who smoke but never grow. If I had that job, I would definitely take advantage of it but for many people the inherit risks are too great. Penalties associated with cultivation are far greater than those for small time possession.

I'd agree with you on the 80%/20% breakdown for the most part. But keep in mind that this is most definitely a game of Risk vs Reward and devil take the hindmost. Especially for those growers in the US or other countries that have actively enforced anti-drug policies. 20% may have the motivation to grow, a much smaller percentage having the balls to grow on larger scale. More plants=More risk+higher penalties. We all know how that works, but we all have to make our own choices as to how the scales balance.

I'm coming to realize that in many ways the risks are not as great as I had feared in the past. I don't know if I'm going to expand much past a hopefully perpetual personal grow, but I am definitely thinking about it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.