What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

Hookahhead

Personally I wouldn’t recommend mixing the terps in before evaporating. Terpenes tend to have a low vapor pressure, meaning they turn from liquid to gas stage fairly easily. This property is what makes them strong scents. Essentially, you’ll be evaporating off your terpenes along with your solvent. You could look up the vapor pressure of your terpenes just to see.

axle2u

Personally I wouldn’t recommend mixing the terps in before evaporating. Terpenes tend to have a low vapor pressure, meaning they turn from liquid to gas stage fairly easily. This property is what makes them strong scents. Essentially, you’ll be evaporating off your terpenes along with your solvent. You could look up the vapor pressure of your terpenes just to see.

good to know, thanks hooka

-axle

axle2u

my 1st hybrid experiment, seems to be doing well
not sure yet tho, couple more weeks I be chopping her down

im thinking I might get 20 seeds or so, - small plant -
but that's ok, caz that's enough to get me started into some F!s
next season....

if I manage to get them to grow, it will be exciting to see its development
and what traits from which plant, will combine with what traits.....lol

im hoping for a development towards a robust cherry like flavor
maybe even with some red pigmentation from the red-leb male
and pinkish pistils of cherry bomb...

anybody know how long I have to wait, to germinate and sprout green seeds ?

mexweed

Veteran
I had some iso that I set out in the sun before fully evaporating and it ended up really red when held up to the light

iirc when I was poking around online I also found something about red indicating cbn

my guess is that it was from something like an old school cherry thai and they either dried it in the sun or evaporated the solvent in the sun

clearheaded

probably already said. from my understanding it is from the solvent used PH changes. think they basified ether with NAoh then acidify and it made the amber color molecules more redish like litmus paper. think the idea was to wash the extract, like water to take out chlorophyl out of bud butter..

I want to say also acetone can produce redish oil just from memory from old guys who used it. acetone being one of the lesser toxic solvents, leaches shit tho.

as for taste, think its likely more of alcohol taste of cherry cough syrup, similarly to cbd tasting like cherry, which really isnt real cherry IMHO more of the mentholated taste of fake cherry syrup.

axle2u

probably already said. from my understanding it is from the solvent used PH changes. think they basified ether with NAoh then acidify and it made the amber color molecules more redish like litmus paper. think the idea was to wash the extract, like water to take out chlorophyl out of bud butter..

I want to say also acetone can produce redish oil just from memory from old guys who used it. acetone being one of the lesser toxic solvents, leaches shit tho.

as for taste, think its likely more of alcohol taste of cherry cough syrup, similarly to cbd tasting like cherry, which really isnt real cherry IMHO more of the mentholated taste of fake cherry syrup.

interesting comments, thank you
I thought acetone was a hazardous solvent , not safe for consumption in extract....ive read about pet ether used to make a red oil as well, and the acid treatment to boost potency....
taking extract to a ph3.....then a double wash with sodium bicarbonate ,water mixture to neutralize said acid, ether hydrochloric or sulfuric....ive read a few recipes, calling both up, separate sources, separate recipes....

what is NAoh.....?

thanks again, so much

-axle

axle2u

I had some iso that I set out in the sun before fully evaporating and it ended up really red when held up to the light

iirc when I was poking around online I also found something about red indicating cbn

my guess is that it was from something like an old school cherry thai and they either dried it in the sun or evaporated the solvent in the sun

do you remember the material you used to make the iso extract ?
how long in the sun....?

do you remember the consistency of the oil ?
what did it taste like...?
how bright red was it, or more like an amber with red tinge to it..?

mexweed

Veteran
all kinds of stuff lol, frozen sugar trim that was ran to bubble first, a buddy's dry ice run, also rinsed the bubble bags

the dry ice turned it really dark and honestly kind of ruined it, the bubble I put in iso fresh and it came out green so I put it in the sun for like 2 hours to break the chlorophyll down, also carbon scrubbed and de filtered

I think the scrub and filter altered the flavor, I also passed out with it over boiling water and it way over purged...lots of cbn

I would describe the flavor as soapy metallic spearmint

it was more of a dark amber but appeared brighter red when held up to light, it was glassy like trying to scrape at a jolly rancher, there was a lot of I know what I'm doing different next time to it

axle2u

well ive tried "flavoring" my oil extracts, with 2 different varieties available of cherry terpenes, extremely expensive for what it is....

I got 5ml glass vial of cherry terpenes from the fruit flavored section
and a 5ml glass vial of cherry pie terpenes from the strain flavors section

so ive added some into the extract, then processed.....didn't really taste any difference
a slight difference was noticed, however hard to tell it was cherry flavor..
the next experiement I did, was to add it directly to the oil (finished product)

so I tried that as well, yes I can taste a difference, sure, but cherry ??
again, youd be hard pressed to do a blind folded taste test, and identify the flavoring as cherry...
also, it thinned the fuck outta my oil, loss the viscosity that I like.
I don't know about you, but I like my oil thick, the thicker the better....
I don't like a runny, thin oil....who does

so there is that aspect, and the cost...
the terps came outta sunshine state, and exported up into the great white north
terps were $45 USD, per vial....then another surprise charge of $50 USD shipping charges....
I call bullshit on that, $50 for 2 very small glass vials, WTF batman

so all in all it cost me, by the time I got them $190 CAN.....

now in my opinion, not what I was looking for....and way too expensive, my god
ok, so I do have almost 200 bucks worth of terpenes, that I still might be able to use, if I get into making edibles,
but im not there yet, im more interested in delving deeper into extracts, and the chemistry behind it.....
an acid bath in the extract to double potency has caught my eye, so this is the direction I want to take ,
then after that tinctures for my lady....medicinal creams for her aches and pains, then maybe edibles

got my eye on a good glass chemistry set, got a university chem lab manual on the way...
so yup, gonna study chemistry some....

I might experiment with making a very strong cherry brandy, through a distillation process, and reflux system (glass chemistry set)....
if I can manufacture a 190 proof cherry brandy....that might deliver a cherry flavor to the oil....then id only have to work on color....haha

but this is where im at to date, still trying to make a cherry oil, still researching, still growing different strains, in pursuit of
now you may ask yourself, WHY GO TO ALL THIS TROUBLE, (over 1 yr so far, might take me 3yrs I figure)
I can answer that for you, easily....
because the old school late 70s cherry oil I had way back in the day....WAS THAT GOOD, -that's why

ive never, ever,ever, smoked anything, whether -hash,weed, or oil.....that tops it
nope, that cherry oil was premo of the premo -boss hogg

here check out my rating on a scale of 1-10

appearance 9.8
viscosity 9.8
color (bright red) 10.0
potency 9.8
buzz (euphoric) 9.8
flavor robust -cherry 10.0
effectiveness 10.0
smell (like cherries) 9.8

yup, make no mistake -it was that good

oil they call cherry oil today offered at various dispensaries, IS NOT this oil
that shite is just regular weed oil, winterized....golden amber, with a slight red tinge to it, not bright red, and not cherry oil
don't be mislead, like I was, tried it....definitely not cherry oil

I will post pictures of my terpenes a bit later,

-axle......................:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anybody know how long I have to wait, to germinate and sprout green seeds ?

Oh yeah, I've germinated fresh seeds so many times it's not funny. You're excited to see the next generation, what else can you do? Frankly, it rarely doesn't work. I've even pulled seeds out of lower flowers before the top is finished. I think the key is just let them dry fully. In my area, one day is enough, but you might need two if it's colder and/or more humid. I haven't tried open container in toasted rice or silica gel yet, but that would probably work fine.

In terms of breeding, early germination is the way to go. People are afraid of the the time it takes to work a seed line. Four generations a year is absolutely possible indoors (with fairly fast flowering genetics). You could achieve F7 in your second year.

axle2u

has anybody made an oil extract out of PCK, strain...?
I think that strain, and maybe panama red, will be the next 2 strains

I try to grow, then after that maybe an afgani and/or thialand land race

anybody grow PCK....??

axle2u

picture.php

so ive purchased this, terpenes
by the time they got to more door from California ($190 CAN.)
5ml each...so yes, extremely expensive...

but thru several experiments with oils and extracts, I cant seem to get it to work for me, the way I envisioned it to work...
not for oil anyways....its a huge waste of money in my opinion
for flavoring resin....

however, maybe good for other edibles, im sure...
where viscosity of oil is not an issue....(makes oil runny as hell)
and you cant re-thicken oil by cooking it out (liquid)...

so gummy bears maybe yes....
a thick smokable resin oil....definitely no

$190 to find that out....lol

-axle

Hookahhead

Terpenes are strong in small amounts. Many will also act as a solvent to dissolve your extract. I don’t have any firsthand experience but I know people that dip their dab in the terps just before doing the dab... not mixing before. If you prefer to mix, I would use a small amount of terps to a larger amount of oil.

How to Use:

This extract must be dabbed at low temperatures because of the high terpene concentration. Terpenes are very sensitive to heat, and the most delicate terpenes will boil off at low temperatures. Low-temp dabbing ensures that you taste the true flavor of the extract without burning the delicate terpenes that give the extract its complex flavor and aroma.

We suggest dabbing between 315-400 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using a quartz nail, we suggest heating for 16 seconds and letting it cool for 35 seconds before dabbing. Always use a carb cap – this ensures your dab will continue to melt as the nail cools down, and prevents vapor from escaping your dab rig. Every dabbing setup is different, so take some notes and experiment with the heating and cooling times to achieve the perfect dab. It is best to start at a lower temperature and go from there to ensure you don’t burn the terpenes.
https://phytodabs.com/99-high-terp-isolate-2-0-blue-dream/

axle2u

https://anchor.fm/cheaphomegrow/episodes/GWMFG-35-Harvest-Decisions---Drying--Curing-e89feaHey Axl,

I just listened to a podcast and there was like 20 seconds that you will find interesting. Starting about 1:41:00 they mention something about Lebanese red being red because it was dried in the sun.

The entire episode was great! But thought you might find this part cool.

thank you, my friend
I will look into this further, a bit later on

anyone that may have any information related to this thread, is invited to post here, even your thoughts and/or educated guess(s) are greatly appreciated

I still believe collectively we can (over time) figure out
how to replicate authentic 70s era cherry oil -the real thing
which is definitely not the shite they flog off and sell at dispensaries today....
that stuff IS NOT even close to being real cherry oil, only those of age (us old school dudes)
that were lucky enough to have it, way back when in the day, knows this

maybe a chemist will come along and jump onboard and help us out,
perhaps even some old school chemists that have made it in the past... -now that would be trick

-axle

Last edited:

axle2u

cherry kush resin,
very clean, smooth and powerful....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am not any closer to replicating cherry oil of the 70s era,
but some of my experiments are down right tasty....lol

axle..........

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
I remeber some article or some thread about making oil and such back in the day and someone pointed out that in afghanistan/and or lebanon they used to place a large chunk of hash in a cauldron and leave it in the desert sun for a while so that the resin started to melt and flow kinda like what happens when you make rosin and then this was collected etc. My memory is not what it used to be but it could be found somewhere here, the thread that is. Oh yeah and also the sand in Lebanon is very red if you search and have a look around :) old hippies said that the "pure" stuff was cut down with that fine red sand. Go tell, old hippies. :D