What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing in cougar country

E

ellipsis

ya, looked it up. loss of feeling and temporary blindness. but mostly infections that could lead to permanent blindness from animal scraping at eye.

nonpepper based sprays could be very toxic.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
It isnt the four legged critters I'd worry about. It's the two legged varmints that are dangerous.

KanadianKronik

how many animals would eat something after its been hit with pepper spray or mace? you would think they would smell it an be like "fuck that" haha

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You would not have time to use your pepper spray. You would be on the ground with a crushed neck before you new what hit you; if you were lucky you might have time to defend yourself.

R.Fortune

Friend

Veteran
I wouldn't be too worried. 99% of the time, any animal you encounter out there is going to turn around and run away the second it sees or smells you. Even bears and mountain lions want to avoid confrontations. Just because an animal eats meat doesn't mean it's a bloodthirsty rampaging killer. But that's not to say you can go out there and pet them either.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't be too worried. 99% of the time, any animal you encounter out there is going to turn around and run away the second it sees or smells you. Even bears and mountain lions want to avoid confrontations. Just because an animal eats meat doesn't mean it's a bloodthirsty rampaging killer. But that's not to say you can go out there and pet them either.

YES!

G

Guest 150314

i got followed by a cougar for a few km, walked backwards facing the thing the whole time. it scared the shit out of me and i didnt go hiking for a few months after that.

i go out with a .22 revolver and bear spray, makes me feel a bit safer but in reality probably wouldnt help at all.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
like Robert said, they attack from the rear and can kill a deer with one bite, you wouldn't even have the chance to run away.
if you were to come across kittens you should be very concerned...

i would opt for another location.

either way...good growin'!

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
In India, some people wear paper plates with faces drawn on or masks on the backs of their heads to confuse tigers about which way they are facing. I guess the principle is that a tiger wants to attack from the rear when its stalking you, so if a mask is looking backwards at it, it might not jump you.

You could also wear a massive armor piece around the back of your neck so you might survive that first bite.

I'll pass on the death match: me with a knife vs a cougar. I mean, just watch a domesticated house cat hunting. They like to make use of high ambush spots, silently prowl to close the distance, and instantly spring to blind-side you. Be safe, and use great caution! (I imagine it's a great deterrent for rippers, though!) Peace.

Growcephus

Veteran

+100

Scenting your grow area might help, as most critters will go out of their way to avoid us naked apes. Granted, some are more curious than others...

Bring a spray bottle of urine to the field with you and use it to "mark the territory" around your grow every time you check your plants.

Another option is to hang some small pieces of fabric soaked in various human scents around your grow area. Urine, shyte, armpit sauce, foot funk, ballsack funk, etc. The more pungent the better, but it won't take much for a critter to pick up the scent down-wind, and they will likely avoid the area. Change out your fabric, or reapply every time you check your grow.

One of THE best legal tools to deal with critters is a "big fucking stick". Find a nice solid "walking / scare the shit out of critter" stick to take into the field with you. Make sure it's solid, and about a foot or so taller than you. Most critters will see the stick as an extension of you, and you can use it to beat the ground/trees/bushes to announce your approach and intimidate any curious critter. They can also be used for defense against both 4 AND 2 legged critters.

Unlike us naked apes, critters aren't usually willing to fight to the death for stupid shit. If you stand up to a critter with a big stick, the majority of them will be like "fuck this shit...." and bail. Granted, Mama's with youngins, rabid, and starving critters will tend to be far more of an issue.

YMMV...

cougars are solitary animals. they dont prey on humans. you have more of a chance of getting stuck by lightning than a cougar attack. The only place ive ever heard of cat attacks is socal. Its always a child or female jogger( probably on the rag) and the cat is starving because a housing development was put in where it used to hunt. if you are lucky enough to even see a cat consider yourself blessed.

my friend shot a lion through its upper neck. He had to track it 7 miles through waist deep snow before he found it. those things are like the toughest pitbull youve ever seen x5.

my friend shot a lion through its upper neck. He had to track it 7 miles through waist deep snow before he found it. those things are like the toughest pitbull youve ever seen x5.

what did he shoot it with and why shoot a large fucking cat man wtfs wrong with him. Unless the cat posed a threat to children.. but a tranq always works.. relocate or keep it as a pet.. give it lots of weed call it steve french and feed the fucker lots not the shitty kind but the good kind.. and give it lots of belly rubs every day and don't forget the full throttles..

Latest posts

Latest posts