What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY ph UP and pH DOWN

Carp

Lemon juice acts as an acid to lower your Ph, not sure what could be used as a base though. Also might not be the best to put in a hydro system.

G

I am gonna catch shit for this but believe me this works! I have been using this for around 8 months now and I have saved a ton of money.

For PH DOwn
Go to an auto parts store and buy sulfuric acid yes Battery acid, You can dilute it to around 1/2 cup acid to One gallon of water.

If you need PH UP go to Lowes and Buy Roebic Drain opener its 100 percent pure Sodium Hydroide. Do NOT use drano or anything else you need 100 percent sodium Hydroxide. mix about 100 grams of the stuff to one gallon of water.

Now you just spent about 15 bucks for all the ph up and down that you will use in 2 years.

If you check with commerical growers they will tell you the same thing, Sulfuric acid for down and sodium hydroxide for up.

Just dont tell any weed growers about this, (Sproutco was banned for it) But believe me it works. However if you wanna keep paying the Hydro stores for water to the tune of about 30 buck a gallon go ahead.

Uhh ohh I think someone is gonna string me up for this!!!!!!!!!!! :muahaha:

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
^^^^^ BAN THE MAN.

Buahahahahahahahahaha,

Yeah, the sulfuric acid is a sound idea.

Not to sure about the sodium hydroxid....sodium is salt and can be a problem.

I have read about using potassium hydroxide instead as the plant can utilize the potassium.

As to the concentration and the product to use I do not know.

minds_I

G

baking soda for ph up...and i use sulfuric battery acid from the auto parts for ph down

G

Thanks guys I thought I was a dead man for sure!

The sodium hydroxide doesnt affect your ppms at all. I know it sound crazy for stoners like us to be messin with this stuff but it really does work. The advantage of the Sodium hydroxide of the Baking sode it that it holds up longer with less. I was skeptical at first too but I did a lot of ponderin on this as my man Carl says (slingblade) and then I tryed it and no bullshit it works. I have had a few beers tonight but I aint that F up yet I aint messin with you it works. (I have been known to be quite the wiseass later in the evenin but I am on the east cost and its still early yet.

Side that these are serious chemicals and shoulh be handled with care. No children should try this its for advanced growers ONLY!!!!! :joint:

G

yea, fred's tellin you the truth, the stuff works great.

i was the one that posted a recipe in Sproutco's thread.

i had been researching it because i'd seen and people talk about using it, all the time on hydroponic gardening sites.

So i found a recipe at a site.

The guy's recipe was just for one liter.

It was ratio'd at 19-1, distilled water and acid.

A U.S. gallon: is 16 cups.

i figured out if i poured out a cup from a brand new gallon of distilled water so i could get a cup of the acid in, that was 15 to 1, not far from 19 - 1;

Later on after about a month of using it on my plants, i posted it up in Sproutco's thread, because he didn't have a recipe in there, just mentioned it could be done.

===========================================================================
Sproutco got banned for publishing p.m.s somebody had sent him while they were arguing Fred.
I saw one of the mods tell some guys who were speculating why he got banned.

G

Albert Hofmann said:
I found a product at Home Depot that contains both sodium and potassium hydroxide. Here is the link to a picture http://www.scotchcorp.com/ it's the hair and grease drain opener in the black bottle.

Yes but what else is in it???? I was warned not to use anything unless it gives you the Specific concentrations like I said Roebic say ON THE BOTTLE 100% sodium Hydroxide. I would wait til you get a conformation from Someone IN THE KNOW about that product. I dont know so I cant say... Be patient someone very intelligent will enlighten you soon... :muahaha:

I currently use Crystals of 100% Lye (aka sodium hydroxide or caustic salt) but when I saw this stuff at the store I was curious. It's a liquid so there has to be something else in it was wondering if maybe it's just water and therefore safe to use.

scegy

guys, in aquaponic system where health is important they use only KOH and CaOH
sodium ho sucks(builds up in ur system), they put it in our tap water to lower the ph(alla softener) bull shit

KOH and CaOH, don't take my words 100% as i haven't tried any of these, but i've read a lot on aquaponic systems and i've been working on one for some time now, KOH and CaOH isn't just a ph adjuster in aq. system, it is also a nutrient supplement(K and Ca) for growing plants with fruits(tomatoe etc.)

the point is to not add shit that plants/animals don't need in such dosages...if added too much it can show as a bad taste or burned plants etc.

ph should be maintained by you, not by ph up or down
using RO water helps you to keep the pH down, adding phosphor or pottasium ions brings the pH up again....then you can compensate with adding tap water that holds more +ions if you ph goes down or RO water if your ph goes up too much

ph up or down is needed when u fuck up the feeding/watering schedule

basicaly, read bio-tokes water chemistry or and kind off chemistry book involving ion balance in water suspensions.

hope i gave some info here, else sorry for babbling ;)

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
i havent bought pH down in a year now sulfuric Batter acid all the way i go about one once to 16 ounces though id rather pour allot then a lil.. incase i spill not as bad.....

f

I

icon

you can use white vinager or apple cider vinager for ph down the
white vinager is stronger so it will work a little better. but you have to
adjust frequently. during veg i use apple cider vinager but once i go into
bloom i switch to regular acid ph down cuz the ph shoots up quickly (more waterings).
for ph up baking soda or just add more water i use tap.

InnocentCrim

Ok, I know this post is old AF, does anyone know the Molar concentration of the Sulfuric Acid sold at the Auto part store? If its the concentrated (18M?) shit, and you're bored one day, mix it with some sugar in a glass jar. It isn't a dangerous reaction, but concentrated Sulfuric Acid is some nasty shit, so wear gloves and eye protection. Long sleeves are a plus too. And if you do get it on your skin, DON"T PUT WATER ON IT! Use your homemade pH Down solution. LOL. Thanks for any info on concentration.

Avenger

Veteran
does anyone know the Molar concentration of the Sulfuric Acid sold at the Auto part store?
~6 mol or about 33-36% weight/weight

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts