What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Measurement at 12"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

over 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 6"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 9"

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's remove the reflector

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Measurement at 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

over 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 6"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 9"

picture.php
[/FONT]

front view

picture.php

[/FONT]
Measurements for this LED compared to 13w CFL (lux readings at 100x scaling)

13w 2700k CFL
12" 7 lux
6" 28 lux
9" 101 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with lens
12" 10 lux
6" 49 lux
9" 316 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with no lens and with reflector
12" 8 lux
6" 40 lux
9" 260 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with no lens and no reflector
12" 42 lux
6" 190 lux
9" 872 lux[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Like I said, it's good information, but I won't be convinced until someone does a side by side comparison in an actual grow situation.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Like I said, it's good information, but I won't be convinced until someone does a side by side comparison in an actual grow situation.

I would like to see that too, my hypothesis is thee gain in LUX is due to the directional nature of the LED itself. Isn't lumens over an area not a point source?

While not a perfect scientific side by side, blynx is showing similar results with the receccesed lighting version of these. He has another cab the same size with CFL lights and has documented many grows in it thoroughly.

Each has its place and each situation is different. A vertical grow with one of these is not going to work, but CFL would. I imagine these working best in a ScrOG situation.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Check IC archives. I grew under similar bulbs 2-3 years back. Quite effective for a small (or budget restricted) grower

also search www for CaptainMorgan. He did one around the same time on a different site

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was hoping to avoid the these lights suck, or this is irrelevant info posts as I have not made any claims about these lights, I'm simply posting some light measurements.

For those that think that, you don't have to read this thread. There are plenty other threads on icmag for you to read.

These lights at this wattage/lumen output have not been available for a couple years in my area. There have been some expensive flood style LED lights available but they are big, bulky and expensive relative to a $5 LED that puts out more lumens. The globe style bulbs I did start seeing around here all had a lot lower lumen output than the same wattage LEDs that are available now do. I didn't start seeing similar lumens between CFL/LED same wattage until early this year in my area.

This thread is for people that use CFLs and don't want to buy an expensive fixture or don't want to make their own COB, yet might want cooler temps, lower wattage and similar yield to what they are currently getting with CFL.

I would only use these for micro grows.

This was a journey into trying LED again. I wanted to start the new cab in my other thread and then start this thread because that's the order it happened to me.

The first jump I made was getting the 22.5w recessed style lighting when I built a new cab. I started running across these cheaper LED bulbs shortly after the new cab was built.

As ReikoX mentioned, the new cab is basically the same size as my CFL scrog cab, so comparisons can be made between the two.

You don't like that? How about this.

I've been running my CFL cabs for a couple years now and been posting the results here.

I would think the best comparison I could make would be to take a CFL cab I've been using, swap out the CFLs and use these LEDs iin their place.

I will be doing that and posting the results.

Last edited:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I was hoping to avoid the these lights suck, or this is irrelevant info posts as I have not made any claims about these lights, I'm simply posting some light measurements.

For those that think that, you don't have to read this thread. There are plenty other threads on icmag for you to read.

I just want to be clear that I'm not attacking your thread or you as a person. I appreciate all the links to comparison grows, and I'm gonna look into them.

Like I said in my FIRST post- this is good information, and I'm glad you shared it!

fuggzy

Thanks a bunch! I have a micro and 4x2 tent with a diy cobs, but want to make another micro cab for my males (1-2). This looks like it would work pretty well for that, or at least not break the bank at ~$5ea. I'll be going to the box store today to check them out. Take care.

Purpzz

What about heat? I would like to get rid of my noisy inline fan and switch it to something like 120mm pc fan and would still want to use a scrubber, but the heat produced from CFL's is too much for a PC fan with a scrubber. Could LED's make it possible to fix this issue?

Blynx, keep up the good work, you are a true inspiration source! :)

Blynx. Thanks for a great thread man! Always wondered about running leds for my situation, but the problem I noticed was all of the led grow units need to be kept a foot away from the canopy. I don't have a foot to spare considering I'm dealing with 14" of grow space. Maybe these lower watt leds will allow the plants close enough without burning?

One thing I would like to see here (if u have nothing better to do) is to make some kind of reflector for that cfl bulb (saw a cfl pop can reflector thread on icmag somewhere). See what happens with that cfl when its light is focused a bit on the "canopy"...

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about heat? I would like to get rid of my noisy inline fan and switch it to something like 120mm pc fan and would still want to use a scrubber, but the heat produced from CFL's is too much for a PC fan with a scrubber. Could LED's make it possible to fix this issue?

Blynx, keep up the good work, you are a true inspiration source! :)

The lights do put off some heat, but it's less than a CFL. You will still need a fan to provide air circulation.

Blynx. Thanks for a great thread man! Always wondered about running leds for my situation, but the problem I noticed was all of the led grow units need to be kept a foot away from the canopy. I don't have a foot to spare considering I'm dealing with 14" of grow space. Maybe these lower watt leds will allow the plants close enough without burning?

One thing I would like to see here (if u have nothing better to do) is to make some kind of reflector for that cfl bulb (saw a cfl pop can reflector thread on icmag somewhere). See what happens with that cfl when its light is focused a bit on the "canopy"...

These LED lights can be run a lot closer than 12" from the tops of the plants without any burning.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder what the scaling you measure is?
When i measure a 12W bulp at 12 inc distance i get about 1700 lux which is 1,7 Klux.
Lux means lumens/sqr meter and the readings like 7lux you measure in one of the readings is almost dark.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

Rilla.

Good catch. I totally forgot to explain that I was scaling the meter because of the high lux output near the bulb.

The scaling is set to 100x.

I had to use this scaling when measuring a couple inches from the bulb. Trying to measure real close to the bulb with a lower scale would cause readings of 1 (ie too high for the meter to read at that scale).

So to make all measurements consistent and relative, I used the 100x scaling for all readings.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's another 10w 2700k LED bulb I found at Wally World for like $5.

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the measurement at 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

over 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 6"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 9"

picture.php
[/FONT]

front view

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's what it looks like inside after the lens has been removed.

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the measurement at 12"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement 12" over

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 6"

picture.php
[/FONT]

measurement at 9"

picture.php
[/FONT]

front view

picture.php
[/FONT]

Measurements for this LED compared to 13w CFL (lux readings at 100x scaling)

14w 2700k CFL
12" 7 lux
6" 28 lux
9" 101 lux

10w 2700k LED3 with lens
12" 13 lux
6" 71 lux
9" 508 lux

10w 2700k LED3 with no lens
12" 42 lux
6" 193 lux
9" 741 lux