Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix?

Thread Title Search
Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 AM #1
CulturedHeathen

Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix?

Pretty straight-forward... I've read about some of the benefits of biochar added to poor soils to improve quality, but does anybody here use it as a component of their soil mixes? I have access to large amts. of the stuff and am just getting into biological growing after years of salt-based gardening. What are the benefits/drawbacks? What percentage of the soil mix can biochar comprise? I have bags upon bags of duff from Lazari's Mesquite charcoal and would like to find another use for it. This is unburnt, fine powdery stuff that would mix with soil very well. I assume that if used too much, the soil acidity might be affected, but am not sure.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 AM #2
growingcrazy

I use it. A small amount goes into my soil aswell as composts.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 AM #3
CulturedHeathen

Like a couple handfuls per cuft soil? I would assume that a little goes a long way. I sprinkle my compost layers with the stuff already...

Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 AM #4
Gascanastan
Gone but NOT forgotten...

Gascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of lightGascanastan is a glorious beacon of light
Many here use it in our soil including myself. Check out SilverSurferOG's posts on biochar.

Take the char and soak it in buckets with a high nitrogen source such as fish meal,guano,or even alfalfa. Add a little EWC or compost to add a bit of life. Drain and run through a compost is what I do now.
Gascanastan is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM #5
MrSterling

I've been adding it into my compost and I added a small amount to my last batch of soil mix, maybe 5%. It has incredible aeration and habitat potential. I have noticed my outdoor containers with this mix hold water better after rains.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM #6
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

SilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah i find 5-10% is max for an already rich soil mix. For dry, depleted soil you might use up to 25%. It is also good for waterlogged soil...

Check out the Terra Preta thread. Its in the sticky library at the bottom of the stickies. O yeah and there's a link down there in my sig

Dr. Richard Lindzen MIT "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life."

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin L.King Jr

Terra Preta Dark Soil Experiment

Recycled Organic Living Soil

Organic Fanatics Australia
SilverSurfer_OG is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM #7
DARC MIND
Banned

DARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really niceDARC MIND is just really nice
what the hell is biochar?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...1&postcount=11
DARC MIND is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM #8
CulturedHeathen

Awesome... this is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 PM #9
al-k-mist

al-k-mist has a spectacular aura aboutal-k-mist has a spectacular aura aboutal-k-mist has a spectacular aura aboutal-k-mist has a spectacular aura aboutal-k-mist has a spectacular aura about
thanks, guys...more good reading
al-k-mist is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM #10
CulturedHeathen

Darc Mind... Would I be wrong in assuming that using a quality aact to inoculate the biochar would work as well?

1 members found this post helpful.