Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Nutrients and Fertilizers > Sea Crop & Ormus as a Trace Mineral source

Thread Title Search
Sea Crop & Ormus as a Trace Mineral source Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2018, 01:14 PM #1
BillFarthing
Vote Libertarian.

BillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura about
Sea Crop & Ormus as a Trace Mineral source

I would like to discuss Sea Crop and ormus as an agricultural source of trace minerals. I would like to please stay away from any pseudo-science and keep the discussion to a fertilizer and chemical focus in this thread.

So sea solids are a great source of trace minerals in the garden, right? Sea-90 recommends 1/2 tsp./gal. for foliar, 1 tsp. for soil and 1/2 tsp. for hydroponics. But what about that sodium content?

Ormus is sea salt with a portion of the sodium removed by adjusting the pH and collecting the precipitate. It is what is in the commercial product Sea Crop. It is made by adjusting the pH to 10.78. A precipitate forms and the salt water is removed. The preciptate is dried and used in the same manner as sea solids with dramatically less sodium.

Here are several chemical analyses of different types of Ormus:

Ebay Ormus:

Celtic Salt Ormus

Table salt Ormus

It's interesting the table salt contains Silicon Dioxide from the anti-caking agent, but also has a high Aluminum content.

Ormus also contains magenesium oxide, milk of magnesia. If consumed by people, it is a great laxative. For plants, it makes a great magnesium source as a foliar. I am sure kelp contains plenty of sea minerals, which is part of why it is a great biostimulant. I think sea salt and their derivatives definitely have use as trace minerals in the garden.
BillFarthing is offline Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 PM #2
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
Sea salt, as the name suggests, has lots of Sodium. That's why I like Sea Crop. Ocean water with salt removed. The perfect trace mineral supplement. I've always gotten great results with every application. Good luck. -granger

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM #3
eric2028

eric2028 will become famous soon enougheric2028 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
Sea salt, as the name suggests, has lots of Sodium. That's why I like Sea Crop. Ocean water with salt removed. The perfect trace mineral supplement. I've always gotten great results with every application. Good luck. -granger
I have some sea-crop but only used it once. What kind of results have you seen? Have you gotten a chance for side by side yet? Just curious thanks!
eric2028 is offline Quote

Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 PM #4
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
My plants can be very healthy and green, then I apply Sea Crop, and they look even better. No side by side. If you've got Sea Crop on hand, use it. I use it about 4+ times per crop. I never mix it with other nutes. I use according to instructions. Good luck. -granger

Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM #5
D3pthCharg3

D3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really niceD3pthCharg3 is just really nice
I have and use both, preferring Sea Crop as the previous posts reason. I believe it has an effect on brix levels , increasing it (happy plant), ultimately improving many variables IMO. I go easy on the Sea 90 on account of the sodium too.

I will soon be testing to see if brix increases immediately after a foliar or drench I will be using a new refractometer

A friend tells me his PM problems a virtually non-existant outdoor when regularly spraying Sea 90 on his early season plants.

I like to use it in conjunction with sea products such as kelp and fish

Be the change you wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -Mark Twain

If you want peace, you'll never get it with violence. -John Lennon

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. -Mark Twain
D3pthCharg3 is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2018, 10:34 PM #6
redheadfreakin
Unsung Zero

redheadfreakin has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
...I like Sea Crop. Ocean water with salt removed.
https://seaagri.com/wp-content/uploa...l_analysis.pdf
redheadfreakin is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2018, 02:33 AM #7
BillFarthing
Vote Libertarian.

BillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfreakin View Post
I was going to compare all the heavy metals in Sea-90 to drinking water standards-

100 ppb chromium allowed in drinking water, 197 ppb in Sea Solids.

First result aaaaand I'm done.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:50 AM #8
redheadfreakin
Unsung Zero

redheadfreakin has disabled reputation
320,801 ppm sodium. Not removed.
redheadfreakin is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2018, 01:17 PM #9
BillFarthing
Vote Libertarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfreakin View Post
320,801 ppm sodium. Not removed.
You can do that with a little potassium hydroxide and collect the precipitate. That is what this thread is about.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM #10
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFarthing View Post
I was going to compare all the heavy metals in Sea-90 to drinking water standards-

100 ppb chromium allowed in drinking water, 197 ppb in Sea Solids.

First result aaaaand I'm done.
That does it for me too, definitely not a cannabis product. IF cannabis wasn't such a dynamic accumulator of crap from the root zone, it'd be great. I'm sure Sea-90 makes awesomely clean cucumbers.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote