What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

A

Afghanicus

Can anyone give me a list of strains that have very high levels of CBD. I have heard that most varieties contain very little CBD and high CBD strains are actually quite rare. I have IBD which is in inflammatory disease and have suffered alot at the hands of man. Now i am looking for the real medicine. Do hash plants and afghanica types contain alot of CBD? which one are the best?

peace

asa42

Anime n Stoner Aficionado
ever try a shorter light cycle? my other half & i did once for probably around a week. tried to keep the light on a timer, drove us nutty figurin where all to put each peg... could never keep up if the light was supposed to be on or off. glad can now laugh @ it. :D

any way... very interested to see if anyone has additional info on CBD.

jim dankness

sam skunkman says that nearly all modern cannabis is pretty much CBD-free or the levels are so low as to be miniscule. so like Knna says, landrace indicas are the way to go.

zamalito

Veteran
Well, right now there's simply no strains available where cbd will make up more than 2% of the overall cannabinoids (.5% of the flower weight) and no way of cultivating a noticeably higher cbd content. For the most part conversion of cbg into cbd is controlled by a single gene (Bd) which is codominant with the gene that converts cbg into thc. For example a plant that inherits a Bd gene from one parent and a Bt gene from the other will have roughly equal content of Cbd and Thc. However, if the plant is homozygous for Bd it will have very little thc and if its homozygous for Bt it will have very little Cbd.

While it is true that afghani landraces can have a high cbd content. Since having a Bd gene will replace half of the thc content with cbd seed companies always remove the Bd allele from the gene pool in order to maximize thc potency and stay competitive. Right now Breeders choice is working on several indicas from afghanistan, pakistan, and north india as well as Sativas from Hokkaido and intending to produce versions both with the Bd gene for producing high cbd levels and without. All of the plants produce high cannabinoid levels. The six hokkaido strains we're working with are very hardy and fast flowering. They can be planted pretty much anywhere and left uncultivated/unfertilized and as long as they aren't eaten by wild animals harvested by mid august. They have a fairly low frequency of the Bd allele with most of the plants produce 5-10% thc but I believe the Bd allele does still occur in at least some of them. This makes a very good strain for medical users who require high cbd levels. Since depending on the plant high cbd strains don't produce as much of, if any high it is important for the plants to be effortlessly grown clandestinely and take very little effort and resource which can be taken away from primary thc producing plants. The Hokkaido strains which still possess the bd allele are perfect for this scenario. Since the nature of the genes which control cbd production only allow for plants to produce either veryl low levels cbd, rough 50/50 thc/cbd or very low levels of thc manufacture of hashish or honey oil allows for the med user to mix high cbd and high thc plants at a ratio which produces the desired medicinal effects.

A

Afghanicus

Zamalito, do you think that most of the afghans available at seedbanks would have small CBD levels compared to a traditional landrace? Do you think a landrace moroccan hash plant would have high levels of CBD? what landraces in particular should i be focusing on do you think? thanks for the info. At the moment i have some twilight plants growing. They apparently don't have high levels of THC but i can't get any info on there CBD contect.

peace

A

Afghanicus

i don't see many seedbanks offering landrace seeds which is a shame. I was of the same opinion that a landrace indica would be my best chance of getting what i need but it seems hybrids are the go. Obviously landraces don't sell as well because they aren't quite as potent as hybrids and most seedbanks are more interested in catering for the recreational user rather than a medicinal user.

I noticed that canna biogen has a landrace Taskenti and also seedsman is offering a moroccan landrace (called hash passion). I haven't been able to locate any other landraces at present but i will keep looking. Maybe i should try one of these two in the near future.

Do ruderalis hybrids contain high CBD?

peace

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I think a landrace based seedbank would do very well. Not really sure how you'd get the seeds though, just gather them from fields?

zamalito

Veteran
Afghanicus, yes every strain currently available from seedbanks, indica and sativa have very low cbd levels. I believe the seedbank indicas may have higher cbn levels but I'm not aware of the therapeutic value of cbn. An unbred landrace moroccan that didn't come from a seedbank may have fairly high cbd levels. I doubt the twilight plants have very much cbd. Among seedbank plants typically higher thc also means higher cbd but its still going to be quite low.

All of the landrace seeds being sold by seedbanks still have all of the cbd bred out. Also Tashkenti is a good line but it technically isn't a landrace. It is an ibl created from several different uzbek lines and a northern lights. True wild ruderalis is moderate in cbd but it really doesn't have high cannabinoid levels of any type. The dutch ruderalis hybrids I assume have been bred to also only produce very low levels of cbd but don't know for certain.

Outdoors a landrace cultivar of an Indica or leaning hybrid will yield better results as far as CBD's are concerned. Pine Tar Kush is a good Indica that I will try out next to see how well it fares in CBD's like cannabidiol, subjectively of course. Deep Chunk is a head strain that goes beyond Indica, into Cannabis Afghanica territory. Unfortunately Deep Chunk will not have much more CBD than most strains, and it has a good THC content even though it is a munchy stone similar to Indicas. For example, the Deep Chunk is more of a head stone, whereas the Indicas have more body stone. Geographically it may be more likely that a landrace strain from the Hindu Kush, and Kashmir regions and above that area are where extra Cannabinoids that are precursors to THC, like Cannabidiol will be found and thus influence the high/stone.

Indoors you could shorten the light cycle indoors, and that would hasten the maturation process and flowering time be hastened by a shortened light cycle and through the use of less light for overall THC productions. Makes sense as in tropical places with long light cycles have high THC sativas, and Indicas more where the light cycles are shorter. Back to the short light cycle, what may be a more productive option would be to start the first week of flowering with 14 hours light / 10 off, next week 13 / 11, next 12/12, then at fourth week 11/13, fifth week 10/14, etc. Until maturation hastened, and depending on harvest timing, a late harvest can yield more CBD's, but too late, and the effects can be somewhat depressive. Breed and sharing higher CBD ratio'd strains where medical uses are concerned not only with mostly THC, but some CBD's being allowed for as well has not been a big thing aside from most to all THC focus.

UV-B light is supposed to convert more THC from the other CBD's, which is not what you are looking for indoors if CBD's are a goal.

There are many species of Cannabis that have found their way such as Afghanica, Chinensis, Indica, Ruderalis, Sativa, and many more. Sometimes a given strain will express Chinensis traits by producing a budlet on the leaf. Several species such as Ruderalis have low levels of cannabinoids, including THC, and thus are of little use as a source of medicine or recreational drugs. This is why autoflowering Ruderalis is not normally worked into drug cultivars on a larger scale. Same thing with Chinensis, as Indica and Sativa took the spotlight as the main drug Cultivars although it is not known which came first or if it is the same original blueprint changed genetically by various geographic regions and environments. If so Jamaican cannabis could be its own class of weed, rightly so with its heart pounding effects, likewise electric strains from Africa and each region would evolutionary produce its own special unique characteristics according to the countless geographical environments.

It depends on what cannabinoids you are trying to consume, and as such a few of the cannabinoids like Cannabidiol (THC antagonist) are precursors to THC, and other like CBN are a degredation product of THC at the end of the flowering cycle. Which is why if you harvest too late, the CBN's will give you that fuzzy feeling. What was THC converted from CBL, is now CBN and it will affect the type of high or stone no matter how it smells. You can also heat and cook hash to further reduce THC into yet other CBD's, which also changes the way you are consuming the final cannabinoids, not to exclude THC.

Last edited:
A

Afghanicus

ok thanks for the responses. Interesting indeed. Zamalito you seem to have good knowledge in this area, do you know where i can get a landrace that hasn't been adulterated by breeding that would yield high CBD levels? Are they available anywhere? if not what would be the closest thing to one?

peace

G

It would be good to know which strain it was that yielded 28% CBD.

None of them did.

If you read more you will see this was a anomaly in the testing procedure. Don't know therefore if the rest of the table is accurate either, but..

From Medical Cannabis Potency Testing Project

Dale Gieringer, Ph.D.
California NORML, 2215-R Market St. Suite 278
San Francisco CA 94114 tel: (415) 563-5858
E-mail: canorml@igc.apc.org
Table: THC and CBD Test Results
(Round 1 vs. Rounds 2 and 3)

1st Round 2nd Round 3rd Round
(New Lab)
Name of Sample THC -1 CBD-1 THC-2 CBD-2 THC-3 CBD-3
High CBD 11.6% 28.0% 4.0% 16.2% 2.8% 8.8%
Sinsemilla BB 006 25.2 <.1 18.2 <.1 14.9 <.1
Sinsemilla BB 008 27.4 <.1 35.1 <.1 21.0 0.07
Sinsemilla MR001 18.0 <.1 11.7 <.1
Sinsemilla BB 009 10.2 1.3 7.6 2.8
Sinsemilla SCJ 14.2 <.1 14.1 <.1
Sinsemilla BB 007 21.1 <.1 12.8 <.1
Sinsemilla Tri 501 27.2 <.1 20.0 <.1
Sinsemilla BB 010 18.0 0.3 8.7 <.1
Sinsemilla BB 004 18.6 <.1 13.0 <.1
Sinsemilla AQ 23.7 <.1 17.6 <.1
Hashish 68.6 0.1 44.0 <.1
Mother's Milk <.1 <.1 <.1
NIDA Leaf 3.9% <.1
Low-grade Leaf 2.1 <.1

The extraordinarily high THC potency in the sinsemilla samples raised troubling doubts about the reliability of the test results. The lab director expressed concern about the sample preparation, saying that he had noted a tendency for the oils to separate from the rest of the liquid during extraction.

We therefore decided to re-submit some of the samples for a second round of testing. We selected six samples, including the one with anomalously high CBD. As a check, we added two new samples with presumably low potency: a sample of low-grade leaf, and some of the government's own marijuana, grown for NIDA, whose potency is known to be in the 2.9 - 3.9 % range.

In the second round of testing, the average THC potency for the seven samples declined slightly to 15.1% from 17.8% in the first round. For the six low-CBD samples, second-round potencies varied between 65% and 128% of their first-round values (see table). The high CBD sample registered a precipitous decline of 60 - 65% in both THC and CBD, bolstering suspicions of some kind of irregularity in the sample.

I think there is only a few places to look for high CBD traits, in escaped Indica populations from Hashish traditional making regions and other escaped populations that may have wide(r) variety. Valley Indicas, Hokkaido Islands, other escaped populations, but not in Western bred drug Cultivars, think Hemp and food varieties.

They are there.

Peace, hhf

asa42

Anime n Stoner Aficionado
barely scratching the surface w/ my knowledge of genetics. so if this is to far out there please dont ream me too bad. but i was wondering, if the industrial hemp has high percentages of CBD could one be used as a parent & breed it w/ a medicinal strain to produce a medicinal one w/ higher CBD %'s.

zamalito

Veteran
Slickster, I believe you're mistaken about cbd being a degradation product of thc. Cbn is the primary degradation product of thc. At one point they thought that cbd may be the precurser to thc since this reaction is easily done in a laboratory. Cbd/Thc ratio is pretty much genetically predetermined.

Asa42 its difficult nowadays but if you can find a stand of feral hemp taking some pollen and placing it on your most potent female will result in a high cbd strain. One of the problems with breeding for cbd is that a 50/50 chemotype canot be tru breeding. The only way to produce a seed generation with a 50/50 chemotype is to cross a primary thc producer with a primary cbd producer. If you cross a 50/50 chemotype plant with another 50/50 chemotype plant only half of the resulting offspring will be 50/50 chemotype plants with another 25% being primary thc producers and the remaining 25% being primary cbd producers.

One thing we must bear in mind is that while this has great potential for medicinal users this isn't the route to go if you're trying to get high. Cbd has been shown to block the psychoactive effects of thc which is a good thing if you need to consume large amounts of both thc and cbd for medicinal purposes but isn't the route to go if you're trying to get high. CBD also possesses amazing medicinal qualities on its own. It has amazing abilities to protect the nervous system from toxic environments and dergenerative diseases such as parkinsons, ms etc. The us defense dept has even resorted to giving cbd pills to soldiers at high risk for nerve gas exposure. It also has been shown to possess amazing abilities to down regulate glucorticoid receptors replacing the antiinflamitory and post traumatic stress disorder modulating abilities of cortisone without the related negative health effects. It has also been proven to benefit immune system problems and has been shown to kill tumors and cancer cells. The human body even produces an increased concentration of cbd receptors around cancerous tumors. Cbd is also a proven anxiolytic, replacing the antianxiety effects of valium and xanax without the extreme addictive nature and sedating intoxicant qualities. Benzo drugs like valium and xanax produce some of the most extreme withdrawal symptoms of any substance. While outpatient detox is available to even thos who are addicted to crack or heroin, there's no such thing as outpatient detox for these drugs. The risk for seizure and death is so severe that the medical protocol for detox requires hospitalization. The ability to replace common anxiolytics with cbd poses serious great advance in the treatment of anxiety.

If you are in need of the medicinal Until breeders choice makes high cbd strains available I would seek out unbred hashish strains. I know mriko doesn't have anymore and wouldn't ask him but I've heard of his hunza landrace circulating around this site. This strain has a high resin content and I've heard reports of people not being able to get high off of certain plants, a sure sign it has the ability to produce high cbd levels. I've heard it even produces rks phenos. You can do a search for "hunza" and you will find a few threads.

A

Afghanicus

ok thanks for the info. I would love to get my hands on that hunza. I would be more patient in waiting but the fact is my condition could get worse at any stage, its unpredictable and i really need to get my hands on something good soon in case i get a "flare up". Any idea when breeders choice will be releasing their high CBD strains? I might inquire about the seedsman "hash passion". According to the seedsman website it is a moroccan landrace.

G

I'm not sure of the actually cannabinoid profile, but I have acquired a large guantity of feral ruderalis type seeds from Moravia (central Europe, Czech Republic) that I am fairly sure is quite high in CBD, a couple of friends are growing them out currently and I am awaiting having a new garden to start a large batch to make selections. I am planning to cross the best examples to my Herijuana (indica pheno) clone that is very high in THC (claimed at 27-28%). I'll see if my friend in Moravia can send me a load more of these seeds, he can just drive to the fields and collect the seeds in huge numbers when it gets to late August/early September. I'll be happy to share them around to anyone whos interested. We have discovered that the germ rates of the ones collected last year are terrible, one in 25 maybe will sprout in paper towels, but my firend in Moravia sent me pics of his back tard, small ruderalis plants have appeared everywehre from the seeds he discarded last year when collecting seeds from the colas he had collected in the wild which leads me to think they need the cold spell over winter in order to germinate so perhaps a spell in the fridge/freezer is gonna be needed with them.

G

Hi Afghanicus, very interested in this thread as I have Crohn's too. I find that almost all strains have a very beneficial effect.

I've been interested in landraces too, the only place I've seen any is from Bluehemp in Switzerland, available from the Cannapot webshop. They do a couple of 'selectioned landraces' but I presume the selectioned part means they've been selected for THC content rather than CBD.

I haven't grown any myself but I will soon probably on the next run if not the one after.

A

Afghanicus

Hey Hawksok, i have ulcerative colitis. I never was interested in the herb until i got sick and i started growing. I did go for quite a while without herb but now i feel it was not a good thing to do and i'm looking for something to keep my condition under control. Do you find any strains in particular helpful to your condition? I have some indica strains that i'm in the process of growing but as has been stated i would like a landrace indica most of all for treatment.

peace

Degredation was not the best desription, moreso meant the conversion of some of the THC into CBD in the latter stages of flowering. Hemp is stalky for fiber and is not really known for bud production, so it would reduce yields by half and by itself is a headache producer. It would be like strating all over from the beginning in terms of crosses. The reason for the headache is that hemp in fiber strains probably has other non-psychoactive cannabinoids aside from CBD's and little to no THC. Some drug cultivars were selected from certain strains of hemp and selected for their high THC properties paying relatively little attention to any of the relative CBD's. It could be an experiment done with a drug cultivar cross, but the headache producing compounds would have to be bred out and the CBD's retained along with the THC. There are some lower to medium CBD land strains out there, but not with alot or enough of them to explore the full potential this friendly plant has to show us yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts