What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple Scrubber

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Update bump, the fourth crop will be done in 2 weeks, the filter unit is still cleaning the air just fine. This crop is quite stinky with the fan off.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I bumped this but it did not float to the top, so this is a test post to see if it floats.
H

marx2k

Veteran
My only question regarding the scrubber unit, it looks like on the bottom of the inner basket, there is no charcoal between the bottom and the outside. Only on the sides. So wouldn't the stinky air blow directly through the bottom without being filtered? Or am I wrong and there is charcoal on the bottom also?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Hey M, take a look at post #2, it shows the empty net basket, then with about an inch spread out in what I call the floor of the unit. Then I put in the air well and add the rest of the carbon, and it accumulates from an inch to 1.5 in the filling of the basket. And I keep it in this position, so it does not shift and settle differently. In earlier versions, I got shifting and unbalanced airflow, also with a unit I tried to use horizontally.

3 liters is a small amount of carbon to do the job, so flow through, and continued flow after settling, is the key in this simple design. A tiny unit assembled like this should do a cab grow, just thinking of future projects, hehe.
H

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hey haps did you say a tiny version of this scrubber - cause I already did that! - here check out this thread - I used same concept as the big boy but with two net pots, one 3" and one 4" I think... worked good on my drying cabinet

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=48949

-suga

p.s. those are some nice looking crops you got going!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Update - I have run 6 crops, 7 by the end of the month in the bloom, and this scrubber is still cleaning the odor just fine. So, that is nine months of effective use, at a total cost of about 20 bucks. I expect the unit to begin to loose its scrubbing power over the next two months, and will just take it apart, add new filters and carbon, and be good for another year. Simple.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Figured I would float this back up to the top, this unit is still working fine after a year of daily use. 9 bloom cycles have run through it, including this grow which just finished. Simple works.
H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Another crop finished, and after 14 months use, it is starting to let just a bit of odor remain, so I am refilling it this week as I clean up for the next crop set up. And it will only cost me twenty bucks to refill/rebuild it. Hope this helps someone.
H

TallP

Looks like a good template. I made a normal long scrubber with the carbon chunks and all the weight made it fall apart. I'll be remaking this

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
all this bumping Haps ands its the 1st time ive seen it?.....aaahhhh but now i have!!!

in the position soon to need to make one of these....wasnt looking forward to collecting bits and building something .....this looks too easy and not as many things to buy....

thanks.HH. =]-~

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Thanks Chaps, I looked at air scrubbers for industy and home, and the kind folks build for weed, and came up with a simpler design. It works for 11-13 months before I notice a little smell getting through. If you use a smaller fan, just put in a thinner carbon layer so you get pull through, that is the key.

Once a year, it takes me less than two hours to take it down, empty and refill, and replace, at a cost of about twenty bucks. Hope it works as well for other folks who try their own versions, have fun with it.
H

Green Force

you think a filter this simble with a 6" vortex would scrub my 2kw 400 cf room? in full bloom?? cuzz i would fucking love not to spend 250$ on a filter =/

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I pump the air from my small rig room onto the big rig room, and this cleans up the air with a 750 cfm shop fan. Here is the big rig, maybe that will help you figure if it would do ya.
H

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks for the great thread ,After reading it you inspired me to fix my crappy filter design .Now the fan sits ontop of a 10 lb cardboard box of carbon.The air is pulled in a duct though a hole on one side through the carbon and out through the fan on the other.

Your design is so easy to understand ,and its by far very effective.I can't smell anything.Great job ,thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Latest posts