What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Store bought LED bulbs what K for veg?

Xanode

I know off the bat that one should use a more blue spectrum for veg.

But I want to give one of these Phillips store bought led globes a go, I'm not sure, with it being led, what color temp i should buy for veg?

The highest watt they have is 13w and supposedly puts out 1400 lumen and the color temp is 6500k(cool white), there are also warm white's as well.

Thanks for any help.

brown_thumb

I'm just a newb!! I'm mixing 2700K with 5000K LEDs with a few tungsten bulbs for the added far red and infrared. I bought the cheapest bulbs from my local Walmart. Other than some minor nutrient burn my seedlings are doing well. However, I move my plants outside for nine hours of direct sunlight then move them inside for seven hours of artificial light.

Muleskinner

Veteran
the floodlights are super bright and the light penetrates well, I'm still not convinced the spectrum is right. I'm doing a comparison with a horticultural LED vs. the spotlights right now to see what happens.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Not getting good results with the 5000K Philips bulbs, I just moved the seedlings under my Hortiled and they took off. I'm thinking not enough red in the Philips bulbs maybe? Will have to try 2700K.

Koondense

Veteran
Maybe.
It felt like my two clones prefer the 3000K to the 6400K led. Or maybe it's just my poor observation.
I think cct over 4000K has too much blue in the mix.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Maybe.
It felt like my two clones prefer the 3000K to the 6400K led. Or maybe it's just my poor observation.
I think cct over 4000K has too much blue in the mix.

I agree - most horticultural LED have 3-4 times as much red as blue. I think you need to get down into 2700K-3000K to get that kind of ratio.

brown_thumb

I've been mixing 2700K with 5000K but I move my small plants into direct sunlight for 9 hours and into artificial light for another 7 hours... but I'm just a newb. I'm still trying to figure this out!!

Latest posts

Latest posts