What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Study finds abnormally low blood flow in the brain of marijuana users

Skip

Veteran
Let's remember that cannabis interferes with short-term memory.
We all know that from experience.

This may be the explanation why. So that is useful, but to jump to the conclusion that it causes disease is unsupportable, esp. by their methodology.

Yes, cannabis lowers blood pressure (one reason I use it). And yes, this could be similar to what happens when one smokes cigs, or does other drugs like blood pressure meds.

Expect many more bogus studies that are anti-cannabis as legalization takes hold.

I would like to see cannabis compared to alcohol and tobacco in every study done.

Then everyone would know what is the least harmful thing they could ingest.

This is also why cannabis is so beneficial for those with PTSD. It helps people forget past traumas, and not to focus or get obsessed by them.

Notice how it affects the right hemisphere of the brain more than the left. This is because memories must cross the left/right brain barrier to be stored permanently.

So yes, there may be memory loss associated with regular cannabis use, since short-term memories don't make it to the long term storage area (sorry, I forgot to save that file!)

But whether this kind of memory loss is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon your own situation and personal philosophy!

For anyone who enjoys "living in the moment", this is the perfect thing!

I've seen a study where people who can ONLY live in the moment, and can't remember anything, were found to be unable to transfer memories from one brain hemisphere to the other, usually do to a head injury.

Of course that would make a person less able to function, like an Alzheimer's patient.

So don't write off everything in this study. The lower blood flow to parts of the brain can help us understand the functioning of exo-cannabinoids, and help us discover new uses for it, rather than giving fodder to those who would reinstate prohibition!

angelgoob

i made it to the line about alzheimers...

lol doesn't the govt have a patent on weed to treat alzheimers?

Don't worry that's just a bit of fuckery on their part. They're good at it.

Anyway where's the study where beta amyloid protein misfolding stops when like 2,000mg of THC was administered. I feel like I've read this.

And yes, Health and Human services has a patent on cannabinoid usage in neurodegenrative disorders. Let's just say they weren't fucking around with regular endogenous...endocannabinoids when they found this out.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
I was always taught in psychology class that cannabis increases activity in the hypocamus, which is one of the reasons for munchies, dry mouth and a increase or decrease in sexual desire which is all controlled by the hypocampus. I will have to crack open my class books to be sure, we cant write off what this study is saying though. Everything has its pros and cons ..

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huh? What? Well, it's been a solid 51 years of smoking weed for me come the 1st week of feb 2017. 50 years and I'm a dozen years older than that. I work in a field that requires precision thinking or money gets lost fast fast fast. Approx 6,000 + of us in this country so it's real competitive and it's really become a global business in the last couple of decades. I'm in the same business that I started ( about the time I also had some glorious Colombian Gold and Thai sticks that year:) ) 1979 and while I can retire, I'm actually thinking of launching something else just for fun as well as helping finance an Agent Orange Victims thing in Vietnam. All this requires mental discipline and a lot of thought goes into it all.

Long as my health holds out so forgive me for adding my little bit of my own positive vibe I hope for some of you wondering "will I make it that far"? Maybe! Heh heh keep on tokin :tiphat: even better with the one you love :huggg:

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Cigarettes raise blood pressure for a short period of time. But regular smokers generally have lower blood pressure then nonsmokers. They say it's because tobacco inhibits appetite, so smokers are thinner. Which doesn't sound quite right to me. Are cannabis smokers fat with high blood pressure because they eat so much? I don't know..
I started drinking strong coffee, which for a couple weeks sent my blood pressure up high. Then it leveled right back to where it was before I started drinking coffee. Because it became a regular habit and my body adjusted. It seems like regular cannabis or tobacco smokers, this would be the case. For a nonsmoker the effects are dramatic and obvious. Over time the body compensates and it goes back to it's normal function. Tolerance.
This study sounds like b.s. it would be nice to get an impartial study on the true long term effects of cannabis smoking. Of course we don't have this because of prohibition. Going to be skeptical of a lot of these studies until we get more data. And tests that aren't funded by special interests.

angelgoob

The problem is scientists are paid and always want to see the negative. That's why I suggested that caffeine - a nootropic, also reduces blood flow.

also let's not forget, where there is lower blood somewhere, elsewhere blood flow is higher.

Also this fucking study pisses me the fuck off. It's like where are they finding the low blood flow idiots? loooo

oldchuck

Veteran
Their data may not be wrong and may be useful to other researchers. What is very wrong and happens so often are the unsupportable, implied bad things the data does not really support. They really have no evidence that anything bad is happening to the body but persist in going out of their way intentionally to draw bad conclusions from rather neutral data.